• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo viper clutching

N

NosGTSR

Nov 27, 2007
You guys having any luck finding the parts to do the clutching? Everything on the suggested list is on back order until jan 15 - feb 20.

M
Jan 14, 2004
I'm pretty sure I have a set of 8FS weights at home if somebody wants to try them .

I've used lots of the Yamaha weights and they really don't do it for me. I have had really good success with Heavy Hitters in a bunch of turbo sleds. They have a great profile and are adjustable in the low, mid and top end all individually. By the time you dick around with all the Yamaha weights you can just put in a set of HH tune and go. If you make changes to your boost or something simply re-adjust. I can't see the boosted Viper being a lot different clutch wise than any of the other Turbo Yamis.

The go to clutching combo for most turbo yami guys seems to be:

BWB primary spring
Cat green secondary spring 0 1 twist
14.5 mm rollers
Primary weights of choice lots of guys running 8BU-00-00 I have those in the Nypex but they are all top end IMO Heavy Hitters are way better

Just some info take it for what its worth just info.

M5

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I'm pretty sure I have a set of 8FS weights at home if somebody wants to try them .

I've used lots of the Yamaha weights and they really don't do it for me. I have had really good success with Heavy Hitters in a bunch of turbo sleds. They have a great profile and are adjustable in the low, mid and top end all individually. By the time you dick around with all the Yamaha weights you can just put in a set of HH tune and go. If you make changes to your boost or something simply re-adjust. I can't see the boosted Viper being a lot different clutch wise than any of the other Turbo Yamis.

The go to clutching combo for most turbo yami guys seems to be:

BWB primary spring
Cat green secondary spring 0 1 twist
14.5 mm rollers
Primary weights of choice lots of guys running 8BU-00-00 I have those in the Nypex but they are all top end IMO Heavy Hitters are way better

Just some info take it for what its worth just info.

M5

M5,

In your opinion, how do the TP HH's compare to say STM Supertips? or any other brand for than matter. And what base weights to you recommend starting with 48, 53, 58, 63, 68, 74?

Is the CAT green spring a common model spring?

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
M5,

In your opinion, how do the TP HH's compare to say STM Supertips? or any other brand for than matter. And what base weights to you recommend starting with 48, 53, 58, 63, 68, 74?

i ran the stm for a bunch of years & are good weights,but i run Dalton billet quik adjust now they are pricey. but you dont have to keep buying diff rivets,just add or subtract what you need & they work great on these yamaha turbo sleds.pretty sure i have the 68 with the max inserts on my nytro but it makes some big hp,i would have to look at whats on my vipers as its what boost it sent me.
http://www.daltonindustries.com/products_yamaha_snowmobile.asp

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
M5,

I personally like the HHs better than the Supertips, I just found them easier to tune and I think they are well made, they're just so adjustable hard to beat. I haven't used Daltons in a long time so it's not fair for me to comment other than to say I prefer the HHs to the Daltons that I had. That said I have heard good things about some of the Dalton models.

I'd have to look in my book at home but off the top of my head I'm thinking I have the 63 base weight HHs in my MCX 240 Nytro. I just rebuilt the clutches the other day and noticed I have no weight added to the tips but tons in the mid and heel. I can't look anything up till I get home Monday. I had the same weights in my mid mount Rx1 which was a beast, they were loaded to the nuts and held that thing back. Maybe you can find the A-hole douche who stole that sled and buy them from him.

As for the Cat spring its just their green secondary spring. I can post the part number on Monday but somebody on here will have it sooner I'm sure.

These are just my opinions there's lots of good info out there you just need to sift through it, talk with the guys who have been around the block a few times.

M5

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
the h & h s & the dalton billets are very similar profile
dalton
P1010066.JPG

hh

thunder-shift-heavy-hitters

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I don't have a viper but my nytro was set up very similar to the viper stock setup before I went to the turbo. The Dalton's were too heavy. I could not pull rpm with them no matter what I did. I switched to some old school Yamaha weights that Hartman recommended and I have been very happy with them.

Push turbo at 8 psi is my setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I personally like the HHs better than the Supertips, I just found them easier to tune and I think they are well made, they're just so adjustable hard to beat. I haven't used Daltons in a long time so it's not fair for me to comment other than to say I prefer the HHs to the Daltons that I had. That said I have heard good things about some of the Dalton models.

I'd have to look in my book at home but off the top of my head I'm thinking I have the 63 base weight HHs in my MCX 240 Nytro. I just rebuilt the clutches the other day and noticed I have no weight added to the tips but tons in the mid and heel. I can't look anything up till I get home Monday. I had the same weights in my mid mount Rx1 which was a beast, they were loaded to the nuts and held that thing back. Maybe you can find the A-hole douche who stole that sled and buy them from him.

As for the Cat spring its just their green secondary spring. I can post the part number on Monday but somebody on here will have it sooner I'm sure.

These are just my opinions there's lots of good info out there you just need to sift through it, talk with the guys who have been around the block a few times.

M5

What would you run for a base weight for a 180 kit? I'm thinking I might run 8psi boost instead of 6psi here in the near future.

I can't get ahold of Ulmer racing or T.P. tech support!

M
Jan 14, 2004
What would you run for a base weight for a 180 kit? I'm thinking I might run 8psi boost instead of 6psi here in the near future.

I can't get ahold of Ulmer racing or T.P. tech support!

I haven't touched my clutching in a few years so I have to believe what my book says is in there. According to my book my base weight on the HH in there is only 48 grams. I know that sounds light but you want as light of a setup as you can get. With the heels and mid loaded I'm at a total weight of 54.3 grams. Looking back at the book it says I had them loaded to 59 grams at one point but it wouldn't pull 8800 rpm. These numbers are for a straight pull up like 35 degrees on a fresh line in 2 feet. I weigh 180. This is for a 240 Nytro 162 2.5 CE 19 40 gearing.

M5

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Did anybody weight yamaha factory weights with 17.2 and 13.3 rivets in them curious to how much they weighed?

The factory weight is 45.4 grams. So with those rivets it would weigh 52.1-53g.

The hard part is the shape and profile also play a huge part so the total weight doesn't directly cross over.

Last edited:

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I haven't touched my clutching in a few years so I have to believe what my book says is in there. According to my book my base weight on the HH in there is only 48 grams. I know that sounds light but you want as light of a setup as you can get. With the heels and mid loaded I'm at a total weight of 54.3 grams. Looking back at the book it says I had them loaded to 59 grams at one point but it wouldn't pull 8800 rpm. These numbers are for a straight pull up like 35 degrees on a fresh line in 2 feet. I weigh 180. This is for a 240 Nytro 162 2.5 CE 19 40 gearing.

M5

I'm just confused. You said earlier you was using 63g base weights for your MCX 240. Maybe you meant total weight for it. So I didn't know where to start...

Finally got through to TP's tech support. He recommended either the 48 or 53g base weights and load em up. He said their setup included their black spring and the 48g base weights, but made no mention of the rates of that spring. Also total of 13-15g (conflicting) of additional weight with standard kit, and tungsten heavy washers also available.

Its weird, if I stab the throttle with no momentum it'll peg the rev limiter. If I'm rolling into the throttle and hold it WOT it'll maintain 8800 rpm.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Yah sorry about the confusion, lots of sleds I can't remember which has what so I looked it up. I have the 48g base weights running 13 lbs boost. As for your roll on issue, I'd say your belt is slipping and takes time to catch up. What track and gearing. 19 40 would be my first choice depending on what drivers you have. If your gearing is too tall the clutches can't keep up but regardless you need more weight down low thus more belt squeeze.

M5

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
Thanks!

After talking to Lon @ TP, he was recommending either the 48 or 53g base weights. I was thinking 58g, but he felt they were too heavy!

I agree, the 48g do seem super light, but its pretty close to the stock weights with the added rivets to them, plus room to grow with more weight if I turn up the boost a little!

Oh ya...... stock 21/49 gearing (2.333) with 7T drivers and 162 by 2.6" track

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
I should qualify my responses here, I don't claim to know anything about the Viper because really I don't but I do know the Nytro motor and Yamaha clutching for the mountains so just use these numbers as a reference not as absolutes for your application. From what I am reading here I would likely start with the 48s as well but that's just me. I think buddy is right 58 is too much, that's what I had in my 300+hp Rx1. The curve of the weight plays probably the largest role in how the power is delivered. Its very personal how each person likes their sled set up. Personally I think the 8FS weights are total POS but that's just me.

M5

Premium Features