• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat Drop Brackets

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Ok, here's the deal: We are trying to put essentially an '08 162 suspension in a King Cat chassis w/ a 2.5" Challenger Extreme.

The problem is that the stock suspension mounts are about 6" from the top of the tunnel, on a new M, they are a little over 7", so when we put the suspension in, the track is rubbing on the top.

We had a set of ~1" drop brackets lying around so we put them on, but they weren't enough (we've also got a U-cooler in the tunnel)

My question is: does anyone make brackets with a drop of 1½+ inches?

W
Jan 22, 2008
Northern Utah
Make em'

We did the same thing on a powder extreme made some drop brackets out of 1/8 steel that dropped the mounting hole 3" below the tunnel one piece goes up into the tunnel the other 90's and goes under the foot boards. the suspension bolts through both 1/8 inch plates (strong) weld the bottom of the plates together and rivet to the tunnel. Now I wish I had taken a photo before the sled left.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I would think you could contact any of the after-market tunnel makers and get brackets from them. I would just get some stainless plate and make a couple.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Thanks for the input everyone, we will keep Sledjunkys in mind if we can't figure something out. We are going to try putting 5.63" wheels from an '07 on the top arm rather than the stock 6.38" wheels, and see if that gains us enough clearance.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
That's what we are looking at to try. The '07's used a 5.63" wheel rather than the 6.38" wheel that the '08's use, and the arm mounts in the same place. The difference would be that the top of the float shock is bigger than the top of a regular shock. But, it does look like we have a little more than ½" of clearance between the track and the shock, and changing wheels will only change that distance by .375". But that might also not give us enough track/tunnel clearance.

Also, my dad thinks that the drop brackets we put on were about 1½", not the 1" like I thought. He is going to measure them to make sure.

L

Lank

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
I might also suggest utilizing an anti-stab kit. I installed sledjunkies drop brackets and ruined a brand new 162X16X2.5 camo extreme by stabbing the track. Expensive lesson.

C
Dec 11, 2007
Anyone running a 3.0 pitch track should be using an anti-stab wheel kit. I stabbed my stock M7 track. luckily Cat replaced it. I was going down a small hill and it put me right over the bars. Next trip out we watched a guy just starting up a hill stab the track on his buddy's M7 he was test riding.
Now we all have anti-stab kits on our sleds.
Has anyone stabbed a track on an 07 or 08 M Sled? I haven't heard of any.

Idcatman3

Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I haven't heard of anyone stabbing tracks on '07's or newer, but better safe than sorry. We are going to be running anti-stab wheels on this, as well as most of our other M-series suspensions.

We've got the 5.63" wheels on there now, with about 3/8" clearance between the track and the tunnel, and 3/8" between the track and the top of the shock.

Also, the drop brackets we have are 1 3/8", so I'm don't think the extra 1/8" with Sledjunky's brackets would be enough.

L

Lank

Nov 26, 2007
Wyoming
Also, the drop brackets we have are 1 3/8", so I'm don't think the extra 1/8" with Sledjunky's brackets would be enough.

Again, just my .02, but it was enough to stab mine. I eventually went with holz drop brackets (using their rear suspension also) and ditched the sled junkies.

Premium Features