• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proper break in

H
Jul 24, 2010
Here's my problem. I bought a new hold over sled, a 2011 m8 ltd. Here in north Dakota we don't have any snow and I was hoping to get the motor broke in before we head out west. Is there anything I can do before heading there there to break in the motor? I know I need to run oil through the first tank of gas but would it be beneficial to run it on a stand for a while? Thanks in advance!

M
Dec 6, 2008
Do a few heat cycles (i only did mine until there was temp at the rear cooler) then varying throttle for the first 100 miles without too long of pulls. Hopefully someone has a more exact formula for break in but that was what i did for my bigbore.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Heat cycling a couple times is fine and is a good start, varying the throttle in burtts, but until you can run it with some load, it will not get broken in. Rings won't seat. May do more harm than good, if you try to get a lot of miles on it, on the stand. Temps will never stabilize on the stand without cooling. Just plan on taking some time to do a proper break-in when you get there, lots of money invested to bugger it up.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Do a few heat cycles (i only did mine until there was temp at the rear cooler) then varying throttle for the first 100 miles without too long of pulls. Hopefully someone has a more exact formula for break in but that was what i did for my bigbore.

Actually, now that I think about it, Cutler's recommendation was 30-45 minutes of idling as initial break-in for my bigbore, before even touching the snow. Idle until temp comes up to I want to say 130? on the gauge, then let it cool, do it again until 30 minutes of runtime, then do break-in on the snow. A warm rear heat exhanger is good indication that the engine has come up to temp, thermostat has opened, and coolant is flowing.
Cutler's website has instructions for break-in for his engines.
Back in the day, three of us got 89 KX125s one year. My brother and I broke ours in very very gently, a third guy went out and lapped his (using common sense) right off the bat. In the end hsis was much quicker than ours. I borrowed his for a race later in the year, I was surprised how much faster than mine it was. Interesting.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
North Dakota

Were in ND are you located, i know there is a track and engine dyno in wishek and I think there is also a guy in Mandan that has a dyno. Best way ever to break in a motor after it has been heat soaked a few times. Not only that I know jeff at Dakota performance in wishek has a track dyno that is rigged with an engine brake mounted so he can work sled just like it is on the snow. I think it is like $150/hr. Could get alot done in an hour or two. Not only that I know he has some damn good clutching setups for the 800.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
Ride it

I agree with riding the crap out of it. And I wouldnt worry about the premix in the tank. Ride it like your always going to ride it. Just thought if wanted broke in prior to traveling somewhere to ride it.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The premix is a bit important, if there is a huge bubble in an injection line somewhere. No reason to run a tank, if you have a way to run a gallon or so premixed, that will bleed the injection system if there IS a bubble in it.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
pull the rope, let it start, then go ride the piss out of it!! have never done anything that people say for a proper breakin...been riding sleds for 30 years...just have fun and ride it...

I'm with you, DONT BABY IT!!!! I've ridden all my sleds hard from the time I got them or rebuilt them and it seems my sleds have always ran strong, maybe even a little stronger than the average machine.

N

Ne-Flat Lander

Nov 3, 2011
I just broke my 2011 hold over in last weekend in the bighorns. took it easy for about the first 15 mi. then let it have the fuel!! I would not worry to much about it. However my A-arms did not fare very well. We had a damn good time though!

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
I was re-reading thread and my post above did not come out right about premixing oil. I meant to not worry about running premix out on first tank. Good insurance for air bubbles, bad or miss set pumps.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
If you jack it up and run some heat cycles it won't hurt. Can't remember for sure but I think it is around 140* when the light blinks. Not over heating. Let it cool to the touch between cycles.
When you get to Cooke 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (up and down) until you get to the back country. Then do short pulls letting it cool between. Do this until you can't stand it. Then WOT. I did one pull and it was WOT from there on. IMO you can't hurt that sled. Still the best one made by AC.

***First full tank mixed.*** It gives you extra lube for lower end break in.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I've always went to cooke to break in sleds. Down to the dirt no base so it is wide open. Never had any trouble. Get it while the warranty is on. You have 5 miles until you hit daisy then it's game on.

Premium Features