• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ZX throttle cable change - way underestimated the job!

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
bought 2 RSI TC-4 extended throttle cables at the snow show for our 2003 600HO and 800HO (both zx sleds). seem to be pretty well made, however the cable from the splitter to the carb is quite a bit shorter than the original (meaning i have to re-route the cable to a different place) and the oil pump cable does not seperate at the in-line adjuster as called for in the service manual for properly adjusting the oil pump. The manual calls for pulling the cable housing apart and measuring the exposed cable to set proper adjustment, can't be done with the new cable. Sooo... i will have to see where the lever is adjusted on the sled i haven't taken apart yet and try to match it. We'll see how this goes...

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
I will post pics as soon as i get my camera back.
I went with the TC-1

I bought 2 RSI TC-4 extended throttle cables for our 2003 600HO and 800HO (both zx sleds).
Seem to be pretty well made, however the cable from the splitter to the carb is quite a bit shorter than the original
(meaning i have to re-route the cable to a different place)
and the oil pump cable does not seperate at the in-line adjuster as called for in the service manual for properly adjusting the oil pump.
The manual calls for pulling the cable housing apart and measuring the exposed cable to set proper adjustment, can't be done with the new cable. Sooo... I will have to see where the lever is adjusted on the sled I haven't taken apart yet and try to match it.
We'll see how this goes...

:hail: We need pictures ! :hail:

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
Waiting for the proper cables to arrive :face-icon-small-dis Will post pics after i get tthe new cables, probably not until wednesday. Looks like the RSI TC-1 cables will be the right ones for a 03 ZX (not the TC-4) again, I will know for sure when I get them and I will post pics.

Last edited:
L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
Waiting for the proper cables to arrive :face-icon-small-dis.
Will post pics after I get the new cables from RSI.
Probably not until wednesday.
Looks like the TC-1 cables will be the right ones for the ZX (not the TC-4).
But I will know for sure when I get them and I will post pics.

Sounds good ! :tea:

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
Waiting for the proper cables to arrive :face-icon-small-dis.
Will post pics after I get the new cables from RSI.
Probably not until wednesday.
Looks like the TC-1 cables will be the right ones for the ZX (not the TC-4).
But I will know for sure when I get them and I will post pics.

Keneb

I really need some picturers on your oil pump
when it is connected to the cable !!

RSI

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
BOISE, IDAHO
www.rsiracing.com
Guys,
Our app chart shows TC-1 for 01-02' ZX with Rack Carbs and TC-4 for 03' and up with rack carbs.

Keep me posted if the TC-1 works on your model 2003 ZX.

Hope this pic helps, The TC-4 is 4" longer from the splitter up and the TC-4 has an inline adjuster for the oil pump.
Thank you,
Wade
RSI-CABLES.jpg

K

keneb

Sep 3, 2010
Spokane WA
I talked to one of the guys at RSI directly and it seemd that maybe the oiler cable "throw" would be incorrect for the '03 ZX using the TC-1. So I didn't try it, the TC-1 cable looked more like the stock cable (longer cable to the carbs) The TC-4 cable that goes to the carbs was way shorter than the stock one. According to the Ski-Doo manuals the oiler adjustment is different specs between '02 and '03. So... I opted to use the Powermadd extensions on both sleds. Big thanks to the guys at RSI for taking the time to help me out with this and exchange the cables. I also put on RSI risers and brake line extensions, all working awesome now!! Just need some more snow!

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
RSI ???

Guys,
Our app chart shows TC-1 for 01-02' ZX with Rack Carbs and TC-4 for 03' and up with rack carbs.

Keep me posted if the TC-1 works on your model 2003 ZX.

Hope this pic helps, The TC-4 is 4" longer from the splitter up and the TC-4 has an inline adjuster for the oil pump.
Thank you,
Wade
View attachment 121080

RSI

Why can you not make a specially throttle cable for all the ZX chassi with TM-40 rack carbs ????
It has to be longer than the longest Ski-Doo OEM throttle cable for the ZX chassi , part # 512 059 679

The TC-4 is much better suited for the REV chassi

RSI

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
BOISE, IDAHO
www.rsiracing.com
RSI

Why can you not make a specially throttle cable for all the ZX chassi with TM-40 rack carbs ????
It has to be longer than the longest Ski-Doo OEM throttle cable for the ZX chassi , part # 512 059 679

The TC-4 is much better suited for the REV chassi

The volume for that application just isn't enough for us to produce.
Sorry

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
RSI

The volume for that application just isn't enough for us to produce.
Sorry

RSI
How many units do you need to think its OK to produce a longer throttle cable for the "ZX" chassi with Mikuni TM-40 Rack carbs ??

* At the Ski-DOO factoty In CANADA the ZX chassi was
produced 1999 --> 2004
From 2001 all water cooled Ski-Doo ZX sleds with water cooled engine had the Mikuni TM-40 rack carbs.
( Even some of the 2000 ZX models had TM-40 rack carbs.)

* At the LYNX factory in FINLAND the ZX /(EVO) chassi was
produced 2001 --> 2005
All the water cooled LYNX ZX/(EVO) sleds had Mikuni TM-40 Rack carbs during all the productions years.

Since these Ski-Doo & LYNX sleds were produced in great numbers I must say that I really think there is an demand for a good replacement throttle cable for the "ZX" chassi that is slightly longer than the BRP one !!

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Just looking back in on the ZX section to see wazzup and find the old throttle cable thing still there! C'mon peeps, I see I wasn't the only one that the PowerMadd ext. worked for w/ no problemo.
First off, you can unbundle your cables, remove a few factory zipties and route them as directly as possible, the 02 oil pump setting was way rich, 03 corrected that, was riding with a dealer in the BigHorns when a guy talked to me regarding fouled plugs on a Gade. asked dealer if he could help poor Falker out, he walked over and took the proper amount of slack out of the cable and sent him on his way. Don't ask, was a few years ago!
Bottom line is, if the job is too confusing, take it to a dealer, they have all the spec's and numbers.:deadhorse:

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
RSI

Just looking back in on the ZX section to see wazzup and find the old throttle cable thing still there!
C'mon peeps, I see I wasn't the only one that the PowerMadd ext. worked for w/ no problemo.
First off, you can unbundle your cables, remove a few factory zipties and route them as directly as possible, the 02 oil pump setting was way rich, 03 corrected that.
Bottom line is, if the job adjusting the oil cable is too confusing,
take it to a dealer, they have all the spec's and numbers.

For me it is not the adjustment of the oil cable that is the problem !
The problem is that the OEM cable is to short to start with for the OEM steering post+OEM riser+OEM handlebar.
( Stock setup ! )
The cable is forced to have a bad routing !!
You have none adjustment what so ever !!!! :frusty:

My cable broken out on a trip, and I was forced to put on a cable out in the forrest from an ( 1997 ) Mach-Z triple-triple :face-icon-small-sho
so just now I have some xtra cables just dangling around :face-icon-small-ton
However the problem is that the Ski-Doo OEM cable is not an alternative because that is to short.
For me an throttle cable adaptor is not an alternative since I want a more quality solution !
Sooner or later the throttle cable adaptor will put me into trubble one way or another !!

Please RSI, give us "ZX" owners a quality alternative to some China made plastic junk trottle cable adaptors !!
I'm convinced that you will sell 750--> of them in no time when the word is out that you have them !!

We are alot of people still riding these "ZX" sleds !

Last edited:
Premium Features