• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo 08 Nytro

I'm planning to turbo my 2008 Nytro. It has 1500 miles. Going with 180 Push kit. I am discussing this with my friend and he shared concerns I may suffer reduced engine life/ premature failure. I get the point, but I think I am safe since I don't plan to go beyond the 180 hp. Interested in informed opinions, guys who turboed up beyond new. And or mechanics/ shops that have seen the results of this.

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
That motor is pretty much bullet proof. 180 hp isn't going to stress it at all. I've seen that motor make 270hp for years with no trouble. Regular (yearly) oil change/filter and your good to go.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
You won't have any issues. I ran my MCXpress turbo Nytro at 21 pounds of boost which is over 300 horse and zero problems.

I think Randy Swenson put over 20,000 km on his boosted Yami's.

J
Oct 26, 2010
I have 2,000 miles on a 2014 Nytro with the PUSH Turbo and zero issues. Boost will be around 7-8 pounds. Never skipped a beat. I recommend it. Everyone will always have concerns when modding an engine, but after you feel boost all of those worries go away and you will be wishing you had more. The Push Turbo is a solid kit. If you want to further your due diligence, call Pats Motorsports in Greenland, MI. Ask for Kip (owner) or Jeff (Mechanic who installs all Turbo Kits Push & MCX) they have installed countless Turbo Kits on Nytro's and Apex. Very experienced and I'm sure would be willing to answer any questions you have.

Last edited:
S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I agree with Stingray719. New viper $7k with no turbo and $10k for one with a MPI turbo....those are both brand new. I've see used SR Viper for as low as $7k with lots of aftermarket parts, low miles and well setup. Its a good time to buy vipers.

L
Dec 8, 2013
West & East
Just a thought, by the time you are done you may be near the cost of a used Viper already set up with turbo.

I cant underestimate how much sense this makes.

I had 2, 2008 nytro MTX (1 turbo, 1 non turbo). I just sold my 08 with the same kit boosted at 15psi. Never had a single engine issue. Did have the earlier oil lines which created some issues that led to starvation and boost issues.

What nobody does tell you about Turboing the 08 is it just exacerbates the suspension issues you currently have. I ultimately ended up running a new skid and finally put new Floats all the way around just to get it to ride correct (this isnt taking into account the hours spent dialing in straps, shocks, skids, skis, shims, carbides, etc).

At a minimum if i had to do it again id have upgraded my suspension to a 10-12, but what i regretted not doing is selling it before i boosted it and buy a new Viper.

After turbo, suspension upgrades, new skid, oil lines, etc i would have probably saved money and had a newer and better ride.

Also keep in mind, the resale for a turbo 08 is about the exact same as a non turbo. I had 2 08's and listed them at the same time. Sold the non Turbo on here in 2 days for $4800. Took me almost 45 days to sell the turbo and only ended up getting $5300 for it.

Just keep this in mind. Ive seen new 16 turbo vipers still at dealers here in WA with crazy blowout prices.

Turbo is mounted.

So, it is on the sled and running. I have a PCV, but the map is higher elevation than my normal terrain. Thanks for all the input. I will see how I like this. I do like the power, climbed a hill I know and actually backed off the throttle. Does anyone have a PCV map they like for 2500 to 8000 ft you would share?

Agreed

I'm not sold on the Viper. Sure it is better than my Nytro, but not enough in my opinion. I really am hoping for the next great Yamaha sled. Been thinking RMK, but not keen on the motor. Most likely next sled will be Skidoo ETEC. Unless something changes. But overall I have been happy with the Nytro, course I went from RX-1 so....

Some follow up.

Extremely happy with this setup. Got the fuel mapping sorted out, still needs a couple of tweeks. So for roughly $1100 bucks I have a new to me snowmobile. I could not have traded up very far, and I doubt anywhere near the level of fun this setup has provided. Thanks to all for your input.

Premium Features