• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2000 Powder Special Carbs vs 94ZR Carbs

I

Irideyamaha

Nov 13, 2008
I picked up a motor from a 2000 Powder Special 700 yesterday to fix my 94. Im wondering if the slide style carbs from the new engine will work on the older style motor. They have an electical plug and i dont know if that will make any difference in how they work if its not hooked up.

Any help would be appreciated.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
They could be used, but there are lots of differences. Single throttle cable instead of dual, different mounting flanges may not work with the older airbox. The electrical plug is the tps that you don't need if you are using the 94 ignition. Jetting would need to be sorted out as the new engine has altitude compensated carb, and single pipe.

I

Irideyamaha

Nov 13, 2008
Thanks clutch that helps a lot. I'm running kickass filters so the airbox shouldnt be an issue.

Dont really know much about altitude compensation, would the main jets be fairly close to the old carbs or will they be way out? Just wondering where a guy should start.

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
Jetting is way different in the newer flat slide carbs. If you are not hooking the altitude compensator up that makes the jetting in those carbs the same as sea level specs. I ran twin pipes on my 700ps and if memory serves think I ran 270 main on pto, and 260 on mag at 8-10,000 feet. I would start around 280 or so and jet from there. I guess I don't know your location, so that will play into your set up.

I

Irideyamaha

Nov 13, 2008
1419484527473_zps6a43cdeb.jpg

I

Irideyamaha

Nov 13, 2008
Tried to post from my cellphone so i might have double posted but thanks again.
was doing the crank seals tonight and ran into this. Should a guy put it back together like this or should i see if one of my other cases is in better shape. Dont want to do the crank bearings too badly. Hoping the damage will just line up like it was before without a problem.

Premium Features