• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m-7 hood surgery

N
Dec 7, 2011
New Hampshire
Hello all I have a m-7 hood i picked up with a few small cracks i am attemoing to plastic weld since i havew never had luck with epoxies fixing them. But i am having trouble figuring out what type of plastic the hood is i tried Abs rod and Polyetheline flat rodneither have seemed to match has any one else found what they use for the hoods? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tahnk you

N
Dec 7, 2011
New Hampshire
thank you for your help i had talked to my dealer hear last yer he had suggested problem plastic witch made it till the first hard ride and getting stuck it just flaked off one piece at a time but i'm going to look into the stuff you suggested

C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
It worked good and was super strong, I put on in layers and sanded were needed.

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
Plastic welded mine two yrs ago! It has held up great!!! It has taken a beating and its a m1000 so has the normal vibration. I used the round black rod in the welding kit. Cant remember the name but it has done very well!!

DTR

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2008
ND
www.DTRND.com
You can use a normal zip-tie. Seems to be the right stuff. However, in my experience, drilling a small hole at the end of the crack, and zip-tie stitching it back together seems to do a better job than plastic welding.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
The key to plastic welding (melting it together) is to have some metal screen material. If you cut it into pieces and melt it into the plastic it will never brake again.

M-Rider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2008
Browning, MT
hood repair

I've used problem plasic repair. First I drilled small holes and the end of the cracks to stop further cracking. Then, I really roughed up the inside of the hood around the crack by making deep cuts with a utility knife. I then applied fiberglass mesh and problem plastic repair over the crack. I also applied a small amount of the problem plastic repair on the outside with a putty knife. I hope this helps, good luck with your repair.

M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
plastic repair

I do plastic repairs for a living. Do not attempt to weld that hood, you will just end up in a mess. We use KENT products, there are many diff types. For those hoods we use KENT (EP semi ridgid repair) because the substrate is somewhat flexible. First wash the repair area and grind 50% into the crack and about 1.5 inches of taper either side of the crack. Blow clean, next use Kent prep wash and rinse with water. Blow dry again and lay down fiber matting to cover the entire repair area. Mix repair material and apply. The wash is key for adhesion as it eliminates the mold release adjents. Fallow every step on the exterior of the hood also and refinish for a lifetime repair. If you want to avoid paint just do inside, it wil work fairly well.

kcpete

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage, AK
I have done several M series hood using the technique Rixster said. Line up the cracks, duct tape on the exterior to hold cracks together, and melt the stainless steel mesh to the inside of the hood. No rods needed. It acts like rebar. I have pieced hoods back together (around the hinges) and never had it "recrack".

R
Jan 31, 2008
SouthEastern Idaho
I have done several M series hood using the technique Rixster said. Line up the cracks, duct tape on the exterior to hold cracks together, and melt the stainless steel mesh to the inside of the hood. No rods needed. It acts like rebar. I have pieced hoods back together (around the hinges) and never had it "recrack".

What do you use to melt the plastic?

D

ddbigcat

Nov 26, 2007
alberta
I do plastic repairs for a living. Do not attempt to weld that hood, you will just end up in a mess. We use KENT products, there are many diff types. For those hoods we use KENT (EP semi ridgid repair) because the substrate is somewhat flexible. First wash the repair area and grind 50% into the crack and about 1.5 inches of taper either side of the crack. Blow clean, next use Kent prep wash and rinse with water. Blow dry again and lay down fiber matting to cover the entire repair area. Mix repair material and apply. The wash is key for adhesion as it eliminates the mold release adjents. Fallow every step on the exterior of the hood also and refinish for a lifetime repair. If you want to avoid paint just do inside, it wil work fairly well.

worked in the autobody industry for 15 years and this is the only way to properly repair these hoods.have probably done over a dozen using the duramix brand of adhesives. works good every time.

Premium Features