• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How well do polycarbonate hoods stand up to heat?

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Im looking at getting Sno Stuff's "Liquid" hood. Smashed the hood on the CF7 :face-icon-small-sad and just going to put my M8 hood on it and get me a light weight replacement. Plus, a clear hood might look cool. :face-icon-small-ton

Like the title says, do they handle heat better, worse, same? The reason I ask is that I run Jaws twin pipes. Heat tape might look a bit crappy on a clear hood. :face-icon-small-dis Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Alex

Not sure how Sno Stuff's hoods hold up but i had a lexan hood from BRTech and it got brittle over time from the cold. I would imagine heat and cold over time would do that to the sno stuff's hood as well, especially with twins. Also I would think the heat tape underneath the clear would not look the best if your going for style points. You could always just paint the underside of the hood whatever color you wanted (so it would show through the clear) in the area where your pipes were then put heat tape on that so it would hide/mask the heat tape. Thus regaining your style points...

Last edited:

mt st helens

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
vancouver, wa
I have had my Lexan hood for four years now. It had been rolled and barked more times than I can count. It is still holding up but I have had to repair it with strips of aluminum on the back side and rivets in some of the really bad stress points. The whole bumper and nose cone has been smashed but the hood is still good.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
unless the look is a big issue (they don't look good that long, they get nasty quick) I'd go for a thrasher. Stronger, more flexible, a touch more heat resistant, and CHEAP! (over $100 less) BR-tech.

Last edited:
A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I'm also looking at BR Tech's hoods too. The thing that is making me lean towards Sno Stuff's is that they are fully trimmed and got all mounting hardware for the stock lights and hinge. But I definately like the price tag on the Thrasher tho.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Th thrasher comes trimmed, and you can ask them to cut out whatever holes you want them to. As for the hardware, they make the hinge & light hardware too, haven't looked at what it costs though. The hinge works fine without anything else for me, and I run vents in the light holes.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I shot an email over to BR Tech to quiz them up on costs for everything. One of the big cost is shipping since I live in Canada. Gotta love brokerage fees and duty. :face-icon-small-con

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
Have sno stuff hood on my 09 m8 came with hinge/light kit.i just use a driving light but hardware for other stuff is nice, been very happy with hood.rec supply in saskatoon sells them.u paint it from inside,looks good till it gets a few cracks.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Most people I know who have them got them shipped by greyhound around here, that works pretty well.

I'll check to see if thats an option for me to get things over the border.

Have sno stuff hood on my 09 m8 came with hinge/light kit.i just use a driving light but hardware for other stuff is nice, been very happy with hood.rec supply in saskatoon sells them.u paint it from inside,looks good till it gets a few cracks.

Nice. Shipping shipping shouldn't be too crazy then.:face-icon-small-ton

G
I shot an email over to BR Tech to quiz them up on costs for everything. One of the big cost is shipping since I live in Canada. Gotta love brokerage fees and duty. :face-icon-small-con

I'm in Sherwood Park and just ordered the thrasher hood + all their vents and brackets (including lights). Cost shipped FEDX $692.00 Canadian. The initial cost for vents and brackets is kinda steep but when the hood is toast I just have to get a new hood for a hun or so.

A

alexhack

Nov 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
$692 gettin pretty close to the $900 stock hood.:face-icon-small-con I just got a quote from my local dealer on a Sno Stuff hood @ $504.99 + GST. Bout the cheapest route I can find. Searched Ebay, Kijiji, forum classifieds with not much luck on any better deals.

Premium Features