• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

T-Cat 1000 engine swap??

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
The 500 and 600 twins are almost a bolt in, You may have to get some threaded inserts and a couple rubber mounts. Cat makes the engine brackets for all of them stock. 8 or 900 twins require a few more changes but all are available stock.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Does depend on how old of a T-cat we're talking about though. The '99-'02 would be easy, earlier than that is harder.

mine is a 1999 thundercat 1000. i just finished installing a 153 skid and track on it. but next will be a 900 motor off a 1M as soon as this motor goes out. im sure it'l be way lighter thats why i was asking around on how hard its going to be. so pretty much any motor mounts off the twins should work? also would i have to drop to lower gear ratios?

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You'll need the jackshaft motor mount from a ZR or ZL (or pantera etc, just not the mountain sleds.) The other mounts can be from anything. I wouldn't say you'd need to change gearing.

old thread revived... i have a 99 powder special 600 efi as a donor sled, all complete minus engine. i havent been keeping up with sleds over the past few years, but am very mechnically inclined.
problem i have, i am not sure what big bore engines would be do-able for a swap. i would like 800 - 1000 cc and of course rather 1000 or a 900 at the least.
sounds like an m series 900 would be doable, now how about efi? how easy is it to swap ecu out if i can get engine and ecu as a package deal?
lots of questions and probably more comming. anyone done a simmilar swap? what years engines would i need to look for?
any help is appreciated.
thanks guys

Premium Features