• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 powder special 600 efi

M
Sep 19, 2008
Green River Wyoming
any help would appreciated I have a buddy that has a 98 600 efi and it is back fireing and wont run for more then a minute or so checked tps and reset my question is how do you know when the ecu is bad the red light comes on then off thanks

B
Dec 5, 2007
any help would appreciated I have a buddy that has a 98 600 efi and it is back fireing and wont run for more then a minute or so checked tps and reset my question is how do you know when the ecu is bad the red light comes on then off thanks

Could be many different issues. Probably not a tss issue because the tss going bad usually only causes it to bog. For back firing check the reeds, crank could be out of phase (did he blow a belt recently?), could have a sheared timing key....something is making it fire at the wrong time (crank or timing key sheared causing the cdi to fire at the wrong time) or the case isn't being sealed properly (bad reeds)...this is just a coiuple of quick things to check. Could even be coils going bad. Seeing as it is an EFI there could also be other issues...that's why I don't own an EFI. Let us know what you find on it.

Last edited:
I had a budy of mine with a similar issue with a 2001 600 EFI and it ended up being his voltage regulator failed. try unplugging the four wire connector at the stator and see if it runs good then. If so he either has a problem in the regulator, switches or a short in the harness.

Hope this helps if there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.

Jeff

B
Dec 5, 2007
I had a budy of mine with a similar issue with a 2001 600 EFI and it ended up being his voltage regulator failed. try unplugging the four wire connector at the stator and see if it runs good then. If so he either has a problem in the regulator, switches or a short in the harness.

Hope this helps if there is anything else I can help you with just let me know.

Jeff

My understanding is that you cannot just unplug the 4 plug harness for the EFI due to the fact that the fuel pump won't work without it plugged in. Unplugging the 3 wire plug on the handlebars will bypass the TSS and the kill switch.

H
May 19, 2009
how does one go about checking to see if the timing key is sheared? Where is it located, and how hard is it to check/replace?
I have a friend with a machine that has the same problem, will start and run for a minute, but won't rev up and backfires a little.

B
Dec 5, 2007
how does one go about checking to see if the timing key is sheared? Where is it located, and how hard is it to check/replace?
I have a friend with a machine that has the same problem, will start and run for a minute, but won't rev up and backfires a little.

Just follow these instructions on how to take off a stator. You don't have to take the stator off to check it. The timing key is on the end of the crank shaft. You can check it after you take the flywheel off and before you have to take the stator off.

Stator removal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGSsyRRiIDI

Stator reinstall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGiXzdF_IaU

Premium Features