• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ABS Packs

W

WXNic

Dec 8, 2007
bountiful
trying to make a decision soon about packs. is the abs pack the way to go or are there better cheaper options? any suggestions from those who have them are appreciated.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
There are cheaper options than the ABS, but the ABS has been out the longest and has the most proven track record.

I really like the ABS Vario pack and I also like the SnowPulse Highmark pack or SnowPulse 15L ProRider.

What kind of pack are you looking for? One with a large amount of storage or the most basic avalanche pack to save your bacon, but has no storage?

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
love the feel and size of my float 30. As much storage as you could ever need.(imo)
when your not packing much you can cinch it down and make it a nice comfortable fit.

There are quit a few floating around utah in stores, new for $499
This is last years version, the newer floats are upwards of $700

T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I agree with Boss I really like the float and given that it is proven long term that made the choice. Boss if you see this pls PM me where may have one in stock for that price. I would like an extra

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
one very minimal and one with some storage

If you want a lightweight pack with minimal storage, then I would recommend either the ABS Freeride pack or the SnowPulse 15L Prorider pack.

IMO, the Float 30 is a decent pack and it will save you in an avalanche, but it is a little on the large size for me personally and is not as well built as the other packs (hence the $500 price tag vs $1000 price tag.

given that it is proven long term that made the choice.
The float 30 pack is a good pack, but it has only been on the Market since February of this year.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I really like my abs escape 15 pack. Not too big but there is room for storage in the pack. One that's small with no storage but room for a shovel and probe is yhe free ride. Don't know much about the other packs

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
I have the Vario in the lightweight 18L and the 30L zip on packs. The 18L is plenty of room for extra gloves, socks, lunch, probe, shovel and water. The 30L you can add more. The nice thing about the Vario is that it takes a couple of minutes to change and you have a different volume pack.
I also just pick up a Free ride from a guy on Ksl (could not pass it up for the $$$). I will use this one for work as we need to carry only, shovel, probe and some small stuff. This pack feels like it is not even there, light, tight body hugging but not muck room for "stuff".
Both are ABS and one bought from SnowBig Deal at the Snow show and one Ksl.
Cade at SBD is great to work with and won't steer you wrong. Also check on Ksl
some guys are getting out of the sport and are willing to sell cheap and in great condition.

Last edited:
R
Nov 27, 2007
Plain City, UT
I have the ABS Freeride and would not own anything else. I have no need to carry anymore weight on my back than necessary. I carry everything else in the seat and windshield bag. It has storage for a shovel and probe and a bit of storage inside. Plus you have the piece of mind of it's track record.

W

WXNic

Dec 8, 2007
bountiful
thanks for the response. i know i've needed one, but just push it back and knowing what i know, i should be embarrassed. i'll get er done this year.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
thanks for the response. i know i've needed one, but just push it back and knowing what i know, i should be embarrassed. i'll get er done this year.

Better yet....ride so you never need to use it! A lot of our gadgets help someone find your body more easily! :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features