• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how well does the 18 skid work?

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
so pulled the trigger on a 18 mountain cat 162. how well does the rear skid work in these things? im parting out my custom lightweight 12 and it has a nextech carbon mono skid in it. it works awesome and is nice and light. should i go through the hassle of making new front skid mounts in the 18 and put the CF skid in it or should i sell it and just keep the stock skid?

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
They work good but throw the factory settings in the garage. Try 75-90 in the front and 130ish in the rear
so pulled the trigger on a 18 mountain cat 162. how well does the rear skid work in these things? im parting out my custom lightweight 12 and it has a nextech carbon mono skid in it. it works awesome and is nice and light. should i go through the hassle of making new front skid mounts in the 18 and put the CF skid in it or should i sell it and just keep the stock skid?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
best skid in the class imo. and has the lockout rear shock feature for nasty steep stuff.
but if you swap, weigh them, lets see how much lighter your cf is.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The 18 skid works pretty darn good. Personally I would ride the 18 as is and see if it meets your standard,if not try the mod skid.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
that is basically the plan but Ill be parting out my other sled. if somebody comes along and wants the carbon skid am I going to be kicking myself for selling it. stock skid will be easier to sell as the carbon one will be worth 1000+ more

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Your carbon skid it's beautiful for shure just having the ability to have the shocks with the lockout and adjustment and the geometry on the stock shock skid is beautiful. Unless the sq3l shock will transfer to the old skid it's a no option for me for the weight loss

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
hard spot rock

For sure a tough spot to be in, for me I would sell everything and not worry the 18 won't disappoint, My mod days are behind me mainly because the sleds don't need it. I still do improvements like steering bushing,manual chain tensioner etc but nothing major. My riding time is limited and if something should need replacing it is nice to be able to go with the OEM and get back on the snow quickly. Years ago mods were a way for life, but they were needed to make the sled perform. The new sleds are so much better and purpose built they just work. You may still find things you want to change but mostly it's a personal preference. A properly setup 18 MC will push you as a rider, a large majority of mountain sleds (all brands) aren't being ridden to their potential.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
For sure a tough spot to be in, for me I would sell everything and not worry the 18 won't disappoint, My mod days are behind me mainly because the sleds don't need it. I still do improvements like steering bushing,manual chain tensioner etc but nothing major. My riding time is limited and if something should need replacing it is nice to be able to go with the OEM and get back on the snow quickly. Years ago mods were a way for life, but they were needed to make the sled perform. The new sleds are so much better and purpose built they just work. You may still find things you want to change but mostly it's a personal preference. A properly setup 18 MC will push you as a rider, a large majority of mountain sleds (all brands) aren't being ridden to their potential.
agreed, tired of messing with stuff every ride etc. at least the new sled already has a belt drive, slp skis, can, cfr bars/riser, airframe boards, vents etc so all the stuff I would want to do is already done

Premium Features