• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

xf 9000 swamped in a creek

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
buddy swamped his 2014 xf 9000 sp ltd in a creek and im thinking about getting the buy back{insurance claim} it will probably be about 1500$.
the dealer said they could only make it run with starting fluid but they didn't even empty the water out the tank
yuck.gif
so theirs no doubt in my mind I can get it to run... my ??? is if any of you have dunked one of these 4stroker turbo sleds and successfully brought it back to life? if so were their any tricks/tips besides the basics that I need to know, were their any gremlins that showed up down the road? I have done this to a many of 2strokers{and a few 4stroker quads} but this will be the first 4stroker sled I've done so any thoughts on the deal would be appreciated
present.gif
thanks in advance
present.gif

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
If they didn't even drain the tank they probably didn't pull the plugs and get the water out of the cylinders either, intake, or the crank case. I'd be most worried if they didn't pull the plugs and drain the cylinders :eek: Do you know if the engine sucked water when it got swamped?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
If the gauge hasn't already crapped out it will within a few months. All of the electrical connectors will be busy corroding away too, since I'm sure there is water in the pin cavities. The motor would probably be fine if you change the oil a couple times. I'm sure the fuel pump is busy working up some corrosion too.

The sled probably won't be very reliable to put it midly. And it'll be a pain in the butt to diagnose the electrical issues.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
If it was still running when it when under, it may have sucked in some water and hydro-locked. If this is the case, it probably has bent rod(s).
If the water wasn't drained right away, there may be rust/corrosion on the crank, turbo shaft or other internal engine components.
By now, most likely it's just a parts sled.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
we popped the plugs the same night cleared it out. the dealer said they could make it run on starter fluid so "probably" no major engine problems.?.?. the oil is over full not by a lot but im sure its got water in it, draining the oil tonight so we will see. is their a cheap oil I can use to do my flushes I was going to use 10w30 just because its on the shelf and a engine flush. yep the gauge don't work and don't expect it to ever again as for the plugs/pins I was just going to disconnect spray with electoral cleaner dry and put a touch of die-electric grease on them. im wanting this sled to just be a trail sled {or go fishing} as their is a million miles of trails around me in northpole Alaska and I never ride alone so if it breaks down its easy to just tow it home or to a convenient place to load it up so im not scared to work through the problems as they arrive {I keep a turbo 800 2smoker for the mountains}
so does any one know if the turbo has ceramic ball bearings or conventional style? that might be a concern if they rust but im sure ill hear it coming if the bearings are shot. are the turbos in this sleds rebuildable or just replaceable??
thanks again for the comments and help!!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
well got it started up and it sounds new still but I would guess if theirs problems with the motor it will show up in a few hundred miles. the turbo still has a clean wind down when the sled is turned off so that's reassuring! but not counting my chickens yet :) . the oil needs changed a few more times but I ran through all the oil, engine flush and marvel mystery oil in the shop so its going to wait till tomorrow. the relay/fuse box was absolutely clean and dry in side it was pretty surprising! all the connectors/pins looked clean and good so I just blew off the back sides of the plugins with compressed air as I saw no corrosion...yet! if their is any thing else that any one can think of that might need checked or changed post it up!! thanks always!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
well I figured I would give an update on the swamp monster... all is running good no new problems have popped up and the other day the display turned back on and is working great all the buttons and displays are back couldn't hardly believe it! still no signs of corrosion no the plugs-relays or fuse box.

Premium Features