• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reverse not working after riding awhile???

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
2017 RMK the reverse quits working after riding awhile. I install new button and wire. Did not make any difference. Sled idle fines and I really don't think it is a tps issue. Nothing happens when I push the button, like there is no connection.
Any ideas? It works perfect in the morning and the first few hours of riding.

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
Well. Your not alone. I was suspecting that it was due to moisture penetrating a relay as it has only happened to me twice and both on deep deep days. Do you have similar conditions when it happens to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
Snow has been deep and covering the sled, when it happens. I pulled the relays and put dialectical grease on them with out success.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Dont forget that if the brake is applied reverse is INOP. that means you need to check everything to do with the brake light.... switch, wiring, connectors.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
Really.. my parking brake light is always on, never knew that would affect it. I will have to dig into why it will not go off. I played with the lever with no luck. It free rolls like it is not on. Any suggestions that I can check to see why the light will not go off? I did not check to see if the light was on when the reverse did work.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Really.. my parking brake light is always on, never knew that would affect it. I will have to dig into why it will not go off. I played with the lever with no luck. It free rolls like it is not on. Any suggestions that I can check to see why the light will not go off? I did not check to see if the light was on when the reverse did work.

I think the brake light witch is normally open, so you should just be able to unplug the connector going to the switch on the bars and see if that fixes it. If it does, you need a new brake light switch.

M

Mr. Redrock

Nov 26, 2007
The reverse does work with the brake light on when the sled is dry.
Riding tomorrow hopefully can figure out this gremlin.

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
Hairdryer and compressed air at the end or beginning of the day.. or a warm shop.. this was happening to mine just the other day after deep rides.. blow it all super clean and dry when warm..

Fixed mine..

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Dont forget that if the brake is applied reverse is INOP. that means you need to check everything to do with the brake light.... switch, wiring, connectors.

My brake light wire had chaffed and was shorting to the aluminum support structure. Reverse would not work intermittently when the wires were shorted.

You'll know if this is the case, your brake light on the PID should be ON.

B
Dec 17, 2016
If it’s a deep day, you can get snow in and around the throttle causing the sled to idle too high and not reverse. Also check your throttle cable adjustment by the lever. Sled could be idling too high all the time.

Premium Features