For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Avalanche and Survival Saftey, first aid and survival information

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2019, 11:21 PM
Currently: Stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Fearless Catman is on a distinguished roadFearless Catman is on a distinguished road
Default Back country survival kit

Does any company offer a back country survival kit that comes complete with stuff for unplanned overnight stays on the mountain?

19 Alpha 165

16 Prowler 700 HDX

13 M8 LE SP 153

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-14-2019, 12:38 AM
Currently: Dont worry, be trashy
Thanked 4,246 Times in 2,775 Posts
Elkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond repute

So this is an honest question. What do you think your going to need? Your area I'm sure is different than mine. I'm going to need to stay warm. I pack a flare and a couple of tampons. Pull the string. Drop it into the gas tank and you have a crazy fire starter.

If I get to this point, I'm not trying to start a camp fire. I'm trying to start a forest fire. Smoke will help them find you

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elkaholic4life For This Useful Post:
Big10inch (01-14-2019), christopher (01-16-2019), hillshooterderick (02-10-2019), rmk01r1der (02-09-2019), TecCrash (01-15-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 AM
Currently: gone fishing until 2/10/19
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

I think every pack is different, just as mentioned, depends on where/when you ride. The best survival gear is a good group to ride with. That way you should never have to spend a night.

I am with Elkoholic, if I really need out of the woods, you will see the smoke/fire for miles! Plemty of standing dead spruce that wouldn't take much to make into a nice 100 ft tall torch.

I used to pack a bunch of gear, and still would if in unfamiliar territory. In my situation though, i think pack a bunch of gear is a waste of time and effort. Plan A is to ride and have fun. Plan B, if something goes bad, is to rely on the people I am riding with, not so much the gear in my bag.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM
Currently: Building something somewhere
Basic Member
ktm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Catman View Post
Does any company offer a back country survival kit that comes complete with stuff for unplanned overnight stays on the mountain?
I dont know of any truly all encompassing kit. However this is what I carry. Others have responded with knowing the terrain having good partners and such but you just never know.

Lighter wrapped in duck tape (Back up tinder)
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline
Road Flares
Cat 5 Tourniquet (you puncture an artery in the back country this is your only hope)
Trauma Kit ( Heavy Bleed Kit) adventure medical makes a good kit thats easy to find
Boo boo kit (basically bandages and some gauze)
Head Lamp
GPS
Saw
Leatherman
Flashlight
Food (I choose foods high in fat)
Insulation layers
Spare socks.
Water in Metal Bottle.

This may seem like a lot to some but with my tunnel bag and back pack it really spreads out nice. I also know that certain avalanche instructors or back country experts say this is not enough and I should carry more. But its what I have found to be the most effective items for fixing darn near any situation and or getting you thru the night. I carry this all year long weather I am on my horse or bike or sled.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ktm131rob For This Useful Post:
christopher (01-16-2019), MSlednutz (01-30-2019), srfink (01-15-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Currently: Not set.
longvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond reputelongvalley has a reputation beyond repute

there are lots of videos on youtube on what different people carry with them also

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 01-16-2019, 10:31 PM
Currently: Husky Powered, Woof Woof
Thanked 15,783 Times in 7,513 Posts
christopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond reputechristopher has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic4life View Post
So this is an honest question. What do you think your going to need? Your area I'm sure is different than mine. I'm going to need to stay warm. I pack a flare and a couple of tampons. Pull the string. Drop it into the gas tank and you have a crazy fire starter.

If I get to this point, I'm not trying to start a camp fire. I'm trying to start a forest fire. Smoke will help them find you

He he he
You do like to travel LIGHT don't ya.

I know my over night kit is somewhat more robust.
Just seems to easy to end up STUCK on top of a mountain at night even if you are with a good group. Stuff Happens. Be prepared.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Currently: gone fishing until 2/10/19
Basic Member
Big10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond reputeBig10inch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
He he he

Just seems to easy to end up STUCK on top of a mountain at night even if you are with a good group. Stuff Happens. Be prepared.
You guys must all be way more hard core riders than I am. 20 years of riding in the back country and not a single night out, not even close. What on earth is happening that you can't ride your group off the mountain?

Maybe if ya'all didn't have 30 lbs of safety gear and 30 lbs of overnight gear in your back packs you could ride better?

Getting stuck in the woods and setting of avalanches SHOULD be extremely rare occurrences for sledders. Must be some really bad decision making going on if either is so regular you worry about it this much.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:01 AM
Currently: Building something somewhere
Basic Member
ktm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond reputektm131rob has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big10inch View Post
You guys must all be way more hard core riders than I am. 20 years of riding in the back country and not a single night out, not even close. What on earth is happening that you can't ride your group off the mountain?

Maybe if ya'all didn't have 30 lbs of safety gear and 30 lbs of overnight gear in your back packs you could ride better?

Getting stuck in the woods and setting of avalanches SHOULD be extremely rare occurrences for sledders. Must be some really bad decision making going on if either is so regular you worry about it this much.
If you take any critical skill training one of the first things they teach you is to be prepared for the unknown. This attitude that you are above getting in trouble in the backcountry is the back story to numerous tragedies across the west every year. Avalanche deaths occur every year, people still don’t wear avy gear because they “know” better. “I am to good of a rider to need that” “I know these mountains I have been riding them since I was a kid” the list goes on and on.

I am an expierenced back country traveler, the gear I listed maybe adds to 13 pounds on my back with a float bag. The rest is on the sled. Wanna bet I can’t ride to the best of my ability with it on? You know what I can’t do with out it? Benifit from the survival statistic that comes with deploying an avy bag in a slide? Stopping a arterial bleed from a compound fracture? Being able to comfortably spend the night if I make a wrong turn once it’s dark or if I am delayed do to a mechanical issue. Yes l ride technical terrain. There are do and don’t spots and that comes with risks and I try to mitigate those by being out early and knowing the terrain but it doesn’t change how everyone should approach safety. There isn’t a guide or avalanche safety instructor who would disagree with me.

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, and I pray that you never get in a bad spot. But this forum is public and a lot of folks take what’s on here as fact not opinion. When they head up they get false ideas about the risks because people down play them. It might work for you but to discourage safety and preparedness is ignorant and bad for the sport.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ktm131rob For This Useful Post:
Elkaholic4life (01-17-2019), Lachoneus (02-10-2019), LongHorn XC (02-08-2019), longvalley (01-29-2019), Meadow Muffin (02-10-2019), OldMtn58 (01-30-2019), rmk01r1der (02-09-2019), t300 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Currently: Dont worry, be trashy
Thanked 4,246 Times in 2,775 Posts
Elkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond reputeElkaholic4life has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
He he he

I actually pack some medical supply's, Emergency reflective blankets, Para cord, Tools, Some food and water also. I can melt snow in my muffpot next to the fire. Of coarse i have a saw and shovel to. If I could only have one thing out of my supply's to spend a night. It would be a way to make a raging fire. I always wear my BCA air bag, shovel and probe on my back. Beacon is strapped to my side.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elkaholic4life For This Useful Post:
rmk01r1der (02-09-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:26 PM
Currently: Making money the hard way- working for it, the original American Dream!!
Basic Member
Back Channel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wise

KTM you are wise beyond your years, great post. There are many other threads that need this same response.

The Following User Says Thank You to Back Channel For This Useful Post:
ktm131rob (01-30-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 02:16 PM
Tahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond reputeTahoe54 has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Tride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond reputeTride has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

The Following User Says Thank You to Tride For This Useful Post:
Lachoneus (02-10-2019)