• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05 King Cat. Okay, it's not the servo motor, or the ECU...

S

Spud

Mar 5, 2003
Lewistown,MT-USA
sounds like your out of warranty

This is interesting. I wonder if that means if I have my thumb warmer unhooked if it would cause it. Also makes me wonder if my Moose warmers are pulling too much juice. I have unpluged everything (one at a time) to eliminate them...This thing is sure turning into a love-hate relationship.

get rid of them handwarmers and go back to stock!
oh and I would bet you need that ECU also,
did you repair or replace the chassis harness.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Rixter, testing at the plug for the V-reg. - to brown, + to yellow.

Spud, I repaired the harness in two spots. Why get rid of the Moose warmers? The stock ones suck! I wired them in at the plug and can't figure how they would be pulling more than stock??

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
You know the more I think about it I think that is exactly what mine was doing. I would start it at the trailer, let it warm up while getting geared up. Then go ride for 20-30 minutes. then it would start acting up. I am almost positive that it didnt do it untill it was hot and had been shut down. Then I was a joke to get it back to the truck. If I let it cool for a while it would run agagin for 20-30 minutes before doing it again. I cant be 100% sure cause I really didnt notice if it was AFTER it had been shut off or not, but I am pretty sure it was. I replaced the servo motor and had no trouble since. I have only riden maybe 50 miles since but that was a good full day of riding and stopping for a while to have lunch and riding somemore.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Rixter, sounds like yours was doing the same as mine. I tried a new (used) servo and it did the same thing. Too bad I didn't get off as cheap as you did.

Spud, every wire on this sucker has been checked and double checked. One of the bad ones (yellow) was under the oil tank. I suspect that was the one that did the damage and I suspect it took out a capacitor (servo) in the ECU. Back to the handwarmer thing... do you really think that the aftermarket warmers are contributing to the problem? Why?

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Well, mine is not fixed. Rode it today for about an hour before it started. So the new servo motor didnt fix it. I am going to see if I can barrow a ecu off of a totaled sled that a friend has access to. I rewound my stator at the beginning of the year so I hope thats not cooked again. My buddy johnny had his sled not start after we ate lunch today. Towed it back to the truck and thats when I started riding this sled. Like I said it was good for about an hour. Even after the first time I shut it off it ran fine. So, I have this and the sled that just decided to not start, It is also a 1M 900 EFI. Gessing it has somethign to do with the fuel pump, as it has spark.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
I too have a few gremlins.

I believe what I've been hearing about the shorting wires. I do also believe that if I fix one there will be more. I ordered the wiring harness Fri. When I install it , I'll put hose over the worst wear locations.

Owen

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
Found it!!!!!!!!

Wires worn and one cut competely off. Maybe now my valve sevro and headlights will work.

Owen

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Installed the stator tonight. Voltage at idle went from 10.8 to 9.6, at 3500 went from 9.4 to 12.6. :D Not discolored at all but I have my fingers crossed. Sunday I'll say a prayer or three before I head out. Checked wires again and they all look/feel good.

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Rode today, new ecu, Ran perfect all day !! Its like before this all started. Even the day it ran with a new servo motor it didnt feel right. I could tell today about 2 minutes away from the truck that it was fixed. It hasnt run like this since about a year ago.

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
All that I've gained is the headlights.

The servo still malfuntions. I think i'm going to fix a lever to flip for open or closed ex valves. If I need the big power I'll just open them, otherwise I'll get better milage. I'm starting to think the problem is the servo voltage regulator. That's expensive, I'll try to borrow one.

Owen

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
Good deal Rixster!

High time, there is a regulator just for the servo?

Not on an EFI, the efi voltage regultor has 3 wires on it, One is power, one is ground and the other is power for the servo motor. The carb sleds have a circuit on the stator for the servo motor. They Might have some sort of regulator on it I am not 100% sure. The voltage regulator for my EFI was around $40, not to bad.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
Thanks for clearing that up! I got the main harness on order but still have a sinking feeling that I'll be buying the ECU. :eek:

Premium Features