• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys must do

C
Nov 22, 2017
Colorado
My first axys is hopefully on its way. What are the must dos? My 12 needed a vented cap, increase the oil pump, etc. Has the oil cap been figured out? Do we need a tensenor for the belt? I don't care about performance mods just reliability. Does a cover for travel with a tilt trailer make a difference for the electrical compomets and slush etc? Also with a 4 year warranty would I just be saving potential down time?

dboe03

Lifetime Membership
Mar 31, 2014
Fargo, ND
Fill with oil and gas and rip it! I personally would never travel with a sled on trailer without a cover.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Tether is really my only Must, the sleds work pretty damn good. Like mentioned above. Keep them covered and clean when traveling. Maybe do different bar height depending on your height. And really just enjoy it.

Grease the rear skid often to keep it working the way it should. Otherwise. Fill with gas and oil and enjoy. Most of my mods are durability based on what it takes to hold up (rails/shocks) since I love to jump. Otherwise the sled is very dialed in out of the box with no real glaring problems.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
My first axys is hopefully on its way. What are the must dos? My 12 needed a vented cap, increase the oil pump, etc. Has the oil cap been figured out? Do we need a tensenor for the belt? I don't care about performance mods just reliability. Does a cover for travel with a tilt trailer make a difference for the electrical compomets and slush etc? Also with a 4 year warranty would I just be saving potential down time?

What are you getting for an Axys?

No tensioner on the belt.

Carry ski rubbers or get durapros.

I carry a tss bypass, they occasionally give grief.

I keep extra steering post blocks in the trailer, have seen a couple break over the years.

Dielectric grease and repostion relays (carry spares) so water doesnt collect, unless its an 850.

A-arms and bumpers are weak... only an issue if you’re hittin chit.

Spare belt, gas, oil, ride.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Carry ski rubbers or get durapros.

I totally forgot I have had durapros. I guess that means they are working so well I forgot that failure used to be an issue on the stock ones.

Yeah a stock set is only $20 but blowing them out constantly was such a huge pain in the butt. When one splits it can mean anything from poor handling to downright dangerous when it falls out. Ski diving or "stuffing" into the snow is good for botched lines and lots of handle bar eating fun.

Ive got 2k+ on a set of durapros now compared to my average of around 200 per set of OEM ones.

https://www.zollingerracingproducts...ro-ski-dampener-polaris-axys-pro-ride-per-set

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I totally forgot I have had durapros. I guess that means they are working so well I forgot that failure used to be an issue on the stock ones.

Yeah a stock set is only $20 but blowing them out constantly was such a huge pain in the butt. When one splits it can mean anything from poor handling to downright dangerous when it falls out. Ski diving or "stuffing" into the snow is good for botched lines and lots of handle bar eating fun.

Ive got 2k+ on a set of durapros now compared to my average of around 200 per set of OEM ones.

https://www.zollingerracingproducts...ro-ski-dampener-polaris-axys-pro-ride-per-set

Handlebars? I typically eat the headlights LOL.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Another thing not mentioned yet is track clips. Good chance you will see wear on the unclipped windows at some point. Mine got pretty bad after 700 or so miles.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Should be better in theory, but yes thats a good point, if your getting a 2019 that shouldn’t be a problem. Time will tell I spose.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Anything else recommended ? I’m going to be on my first Polaris sled this season. So far I’m getting a tether, durapros, and a can. What are some other maintenance items on the Axys besides greasing the skid often ?

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
My 17 with raptor shocks was a fricken riot. Wish I kept it that way instead of dumping in a zillion dollars and then selling it...

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Should be better in theory, but yes thats a good point, if your getting a 2019 that shouldn’t be a problem. Time will tell I spose.

Hey. Just wanna say thanks, super happy with the Cat deal. Tater installed a lower riser today. Sending the ECU out for a reflash on Monday, takes care of the hesitation and weird running. :)

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
You must use your cover! I'm convinced that some of the corrosion I found in my relays was a result of "going for it" without the cover. I also got some rust on my SLP pipe. All because I was being lazy.

I never turned up my oil on any of my Pro's or my Axys. Never had a motor problem but I attribute part of that to riding at a higher altitude. I think the sled runs richer at altitude. But you can run a cap full of oil with each fuel fill-up to keep the crank seals oiled up.

Turbo it! I know you didn't want performance mods but Polaris sleds seem to really like turbos. I've been running a 2016 Axys for three years with the SLP stage II kit. Maybe that's a good alternative.

My issues have been a thermostat failure and relays failing/corroded. I'd look for the sealed relays and possible keep another thermostat around. You can alternatively take it out but the sled will take longer to warm up. You don't want to run any motor cold.

R

Reddragon800

Feb 26, 2013
The Axys is a great sled out of the box but there is a ton more potential in it. First ooff, get a pipe. The motor responds very well to a pipe. My suggestion is the SSI full stainless pipe. It requires a programmer, but made the most power out of all the pipes at the Dynotech shootout. Clutching. The straight 40 is ok. But the correct multi angle helix matched with the right springs and weights are a huge difference. (PM me for Details) Gearing. If you bought a belt drive its geared to high. If you have a chaincase 3" track your geared perfectly. Theres a cheap fix for the belt drive version, you can replace the stock gears with gears from an older pro (13-15). Track. The 2.6 is ok. the 3" is horrible. Get the Camso 2.8, 3" or 3.2 for much better traction. This also depends on where you ride and over all snow conditions. A Tether is a must, keep an extra EGT sensor with you. Also, don't run the polaris VES oil, its not very good. Go to a semi-synthetic as its a much better rust inhibitor. Always run fuel with no ethanol in it. If you feel like spending a bunch of money... get a nice set up shocks. Raptor and Elka are my 2 suggestions. Hope this helps.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
The Axys is a great sled out of the box but there is a ton more potential in it. First ooff, get a pipe. The motor responds very well to a pipe. My suggestion is the SSI full stainless pipe. It requires a programmer, but made the most power out of all the pipes at the Dynotech shootout. Clutching. The straight 40 is ok. But the correct multi angle helix matched with the right springs and weights are a huge difference. (PM me for Details) Gearing. If you bought a belt drive its geared to high. If you have a chaincase 3" track your geared perfectly. Theres a cheap fix for the belt drive version, you can replace the stock gears with gears from an older pro (13-15). Track. The 2.6 is ok. the 3" is horrible. Get the Camso 2.8, 3" or 3.2 for much better traction. This also depends on where you ride and over all snow conditions. A Tether is a must, keep an extra EGT sensor with you. Also, don't run the polaris VES oil, its not very good. Go to a semi-synthetic as its a much better rust inhibitor. Always run fuel with no ethanol in it. If you feel like spending a bunch of money... get a nice set up shocks. Raptor and Elka are my 2 suggestions. Hope this helps.

I've always been very leery of pipe gain claims. Dyno sheets can be drawn with crayons. I have no experience or data on the SSI pipe. Are they the ones with the carbon can? Is like to know more.

I used Redline oil in my 13 Pro from day one. It looks fantastic every time it's been apart, although I went through three crank seals in 3500 miles.

My X3 track was amazing with TKI gear down.
My 3.2 and gear down will be better.

Tell me about the difference in gears between the Pro and Axys.

My Elka Stage 4 shocks went 2500 before I rebuilt them. They were the envy of my buddies. Fantastic shocks!!!

Last edited:
Premium Features