• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WANTED: What is the Best Skid Plate for the 850????

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So.
After MUCH CARNAGE and BREAKAGE of multiple Chaincases I need to buy three Skid Plates!

Very Specifically need GREAT PROTECTION of the bottom of the chaincase where it is exposed beneath the boards.

Who makes the HOT TICKET in the Ski-Doo field???

d1cadf6622376084ec47f17a19cac76c.jpg

07c7f2f29572a38f4437d5be64695f88.jpg

4278ec8b77221e67d0c377e62cce4f30.jpg

Last edited:

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
What is the Best Skid Plate for the 850????

Hi Chris: Same answer as previous thread: rpmcomposites.com.

Talk to Raffi, should be a two piece that covers the whole underside, used by the guys that won the Alaska Ironman last year?

Motodrew

Lifetime Membership
I don't know if RPM Composites has anything for the 850 available yet. That would be one pricey option to outfit 3 sleds. Skinz is supposed to be offering a skidplate, but I haven't seen it yet other than the digital renderings in their catalog. Skidoo's skidplate covers the area in which you took the hit, however I'm not sure if it's hard plastic would have prevented your damage. I do think it is the best option/value however.

hkdFJpi.jpg

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I suspect the Doo skid plate works pretty well to protect the bottom of the chaincase (currently waiting for Grip and Rip to release it's bracing solution before I install mine), because this issue does not seem to be reported much, and the bottom of the case has been sticking down in a vulnerable spot since the T3s were first released. The chaincase is magnesium, so it's pretty soft/fragile. I'm guessing the plastic of the skid plate provides cushioning and a slicker running surface to bounce off of, which helps prevent against the type of damage you suffered. That said, if you hit rocks with these sleds, you're going to wind up with damage.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Last I talked with Raffi at RPM composites he had the back half of the plate done and was almost done with the front half. Sounded like a person could bolt on the back half now then front half later.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I need some ARMOR PLATING to protect that chaincase from any further abuse!

Have checked out RPM Composites yet?

I've had excellent results with their products over the years.

I've smoke some big rocks and stumps over the past few years. Thankfully barely even a scratch on my previous skid plates from them.

Last year in particular I hit a boulder the size of a VW Bug ( at least) in a white out. Had me some superman skills for a few seconds. I went 30 ft one way and sled landed 40 ft away they other. Barely a scratch, nothing bent, broke etc.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Have checked out RPM Composites yet?

I've had excellent results with their products over the years.

I've smoke some big rocks and stumps over the past few years. Thankfully barely even a scratch on my previous skid plates from them.

Last year in particular I hit a boulder the size of a VW Bug ( at least) in a white out. Had me some superman skills for a few seconds. I went 30 ft one way and sled landed 40 ft away they other. Barely a scratch, nothing bent, broke etc.

Yes, but there weren't any 850's around last year.
From the slight impacts I've read about, there has been some major carnage in these past few months.

I had a RPM Composites skid plate on my old Freeride. I remember it being very heavy! but great coverage. I'm not sure a skidplate is going to prevent the bulk head from cracking like that though.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I never said it would prevent a cracked bulkhead from a hit. Only that it will 100% cure the broke chain case issue.

I'd think it would help with "some" hits to the bulkhead area but.....

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Forgot to mention that RPM Composite skid plate is carbon fiber, it is thicker than the plastic ones, comes with removable fasteners but fairly light for the protection it provides and costs a bit more but fits like a glove.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'm in the same boat as Chris...Helping a friend with his new,but crashed, G4 Summit.
And with all this new snow...he's chomping at the bit to get it back. BRP backordered on parts isn't helping the situation.

I believe VE is working on a substantial metal protection solution for the G4 chaincase.

SPG makes a float plate for the G4 that covers the chaincase-pan.... WPS PN 241-07787 (black), 241-07789 (white) $140.

Lots of coverage and thicker than most .... but, not yet in stock at WPS (ARGH).

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm in the same boat as Chris...Helping a friend with his new,but crashed, G4 Summit.
And with all this new snow...he's chomping at the bit to get it back. BRP backordered on parts isn't helping the situation.

I believe VE is working on a substantial metal protection solution for the G4 chaincase.

SPG makes a float plate for the G4 that covers the chaincase-pan.... WPS PN 241-07787 (black), 241-07789 (white) $140.

Lots of coverage and thicker than most .... but, not yet in stock at WPS (ARGH).

Wonder when it is forthcoming?

H
Dec 15, 2014
I am in the same boat as Christopher. Took a hit right below the chaincase and had vibration. Found the tunnel pushed into the track. Taking it to dealership for assessment....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Invited Jeff from SKINZ to come and read a few of our threads on whats going on with the 850 with hopes that they might be interested in trying to "Solve" our problems. He seemed interested and perhaps SKINZ will develop something for us now...'

H
Dec 15, 2014
In your opinion was it a hard enough hit to warrant the damage?

No, i have a 1100 that has taken more of a knock without damage. I was very suprised to see the damage. It was the vibration that made me look. Very weak amd poorly designed. Those round pans protude too much. Further, i had a Ski Doo skid plate on that didn't offer any protection.

Premium Features