• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Add a battery to charge the "shot"?

M
Feb 21, 2010
I have the Shot starting system which works as Skidoo said it would. I also had to add a small battery to run my Lowrance fish finder gps. Could I use the battery to charge the Cap start system? Anybody have any ideas?

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
I think a little gerbil on a treadmill would be more in line with the spirit of shot.

Maybe a wood handled handcrank if you want to get all artisan about it.

Anything else is just electric start. So passe.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I have the Shot starting system which works as Skidoo said it would. I also had to add a small battery to run my Lowrance fish finder gps. Could I use the battery to charge the Cap start system? Anybody have any ideas?

Why? If you wanted an electric start, should have bought the sled with one. It was cheaper to go that route than the Shot route. And why are you trying to find fish when snomogoing?

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
And why are you trying to find fish when snomogoing?

Ice fishing? Drive around until you find some? :face-icon-small-con

One pull in the morning is no biggie. Don't mess with a good thing.

I went with Shot so I wouldn't have to deal with a battery tender and/or replacing +$100 batteries every couple years. I'm tickled pink that I have no battery anymore!

M
Feb 21, 2010
Also, same price for either option. I have pulled enough start cords in my life for 2 lifetimes. Moreover, 20 pounds less weight and no noise. Shallow minds whined about reverse when it was new and now everyone wants it. If you don't have any constructive ideas why did you reply?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I am not sure, but I am confident it will work. The battery should charge the capacitor. My concern is will the capacitor create a parasitic draw on the battery? It may have to be isolated by a switch when not riding. At the very least I bet after setting a few days you could flip the switch, charge the capacitor and start the engine. My 2 cents for what is worth.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I’m sure it is alot higher voltage than 12 volts. I stated earlier DC was a short to a cap., I was having a senior moment. Lol. Caps. are DC .

Last edited:
M
Feb 21, 2010
Thanks, I guess I will have o figure out how Doo is charging the cap. I notice it only takes about 15 sec of run time for the shot system to take a charge but unfortunately it will only hold it for about an hour or less. Any ideas where to get info on the system? I checked with my dealer but the mechanic did not know.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
The black and red/white wires. I can read voltage form them. I also have been running into the "I don't know" answers from the dealer. There either not saying anything or they actually don't know.
Im not ready to start cutting wires on our sled yet.

IMG_0758.jpg

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
All Etec engines including Evinrude use a 55 volt circuit to operate the fuel pump, injectors, ignition coils and oil injection pump. 55 volts are required to power these items and is provided by the stator and capacitor in approximately the first 1/2 rotation of the engine, hence the very quick start. A dc-dc converter provides 14.5 volts at idle at 1200 RPM and 25A at 2000 RPM or over there is 30A. Page 259 of the shop manual.
Since the Shot capacitor sends voltage back to the Ecm and Stator I would guess it is charged at 55 vdc to simplify the circuit and provide the energy needed to rotate the engine and start it. If someone has the 2018 manual Section 5 should have the info. Fyi

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
My 2017 has estart but I would sooner have the Shot which is about 20 lbs lighter with 90% of estart function.
I have ordered the Eaton 65F supercap to replace the battery and save about 12 lbs. I will update in a couple of weeks in the kinda shot thread where several others are doing the same. I considered the lithium batteries but saw some reviews that caused me to doubt that solution especially in colder temperatures although I think they're an option?
Trading up to get Shot is not an option for me.

Texasron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Dallas, Tx
Cost of "shot? cap when it goes out?

Read on snowest, cap costs alot more than anyone thinks. If it goes bad, each cap could be easily replaced if you can measure voltage, solder, and walk at same time.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca

They use a small battery with a Capacitor on race cars so the answer is "Yes"

The trick is getting the right size battery to charge the cap before the battery dies.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
My 2017 has estart but I would sooner have the Shot which is about 20 lbs lighter with 90% of estart function.
I have ordered the Eaton 65F supercap to replace the battery and save about 12 lbs. I will update in a couple of weeks in the kinda shot thread where several others are doing the same. I considered the lithium batteries but saw some reviews that caused me to doubt that solution especially in colder temperatures although I think they're an option?
Trading up to get Shot is not an option for me.

The Capacitor on our 2012 Etec works great but 2 things I learned.

1. When the cap is completely dead the headlights are out as the charging system is working overtime trying to charge it. This can take out the stator or VR so a 30-50 ohm large (heat sink) resistor should be used to slow the charge rate.

2. The cap actually charges better at idle than full throttle. After high revs it does not have the juice to start but after a short idle it does. This tells me that the stator is working overtime at high revs to power the fuel injection on the ski-doo. I run the 50 ohm resistor and would like to try a 20 or 30 to fix this up.

Other than that it is all good.

Premium Features