• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

96 XLT 600 SKS -Thoughts on upgrading to viton from metal tip needle valves.

I have a 96 XLT SKS that has some bad float flooding issues.
In searching for the parts seems the Mikuni VM26/26 are the exact replacement for the metal tip needle valves. But the Mikuni 786-15005 also share the exact measurements but replace the metal with viton tips.

Anyone have experience with moving to viton tips from metal on these XLT sleds? I've been told the metal tipped have always had float flooding issues, and I'd like to get this sled running soon without bogging/stalling out from a flood condition.

As always thanks for your replies

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
I ran viton needles in mine in 38mm mics but i had the floats set just a tad low and had UFOs in the carb slides

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Just make sure the float level setting is correct with the new needle valve. I haven't heard of any leaky floats where they take on fuel for many years.

Just make sure the float level setting is correct with the new needle valve. I haven't heard of any leaky floats where they take on fuel for many years.

Do you think about not hearing about leaky floats means that I should just stick with the metal tips instead of upgrading to the vition?
Making the assumption that most old XLTs out there have gone and replaced the float needles and maybe the originals were just slightly off in production quality/consistency?

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Do you think about not hearing about leaky floats means that I should just stick with the metal tips instead of upgrading to the vition?
Making the assumption that most old XLTs out there have gone and replaced the float needles and maybe the originals were just slightly off in production quality/consistency?

By leaky floats I meant the actual float itself (the part that floats on the gas - #27 on parts fiche), not the needle and seat. Go with the viton tipped ones.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Pardon the highjack but an open question to those with experience - What is the preference for the manufacturer of the needle & seat assy.?

U
Feb 21, 2017
Saskatchewan
Great way to clean the needle and seat valves...

Hey guys just thought I would share this for you to try. Maybe you can salvage those old valves...

https://youtu.be/zlez_hdoWYk

Premium Features