• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

"Harley" Exhaust? FMF, Speedwerx??? Need some experienced input please...

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
So... every now and then, I've heard/read the term "Harley can" for the ol' 1M.

When I got my sled, it had already been modified to fit an FMF Titanium 4 can. Generally a dirtbike/atv can... with a bung welded to the can entry pipe to slip into the Speedwerx pipe.

Last season some friends called FMF and they said the can was fine for the sled, but would need to be repacked each season, so... I tried to re-pack it. After removing all the bolts and drilling out the rivets, I still can't see how this thing comes apart... at least, still being able to put it back together. So I gave up on it before I completely destroy the thing.

I picked up a Speedwerx can, thinking that would be the best match-up for the pipe. When I got it... I realized the PO had totally stripped all the stock mounting when he slapped in the modified FMF straight can.

So... the Speedwerx can is more hassle than it's worth. I checked on a new FMF Titanium 4 and they're going for well over $300... yikes! A lot of money to toss out, only to cut and weld a new bung... and where do I get a good, clean bung anyway?

So... I started looking for a Harley can. Not being sure if this was a different name or model... or if there actually was a muffler tip made by Harley Davidson for sleds. Being an HD lifer... I'd never heard of one, at least... not since AMF/HD days.
Searched and searched the web and came up empty... and then it occurred to me, a Buell is the only "Harley" I could think of with a compatible or similar muffler setup. Is this what I've heard of? Modifying a Buell can, the same as the PO modified the FMF can?

At this point, I've listed the Speedwerx can in the Swap-meet here and I'm looking for ideas/experience on this.

FMF can is more expensive than anything else made for the sled... loved the sound and power last season, but I haven't been sledding on anything else in years, so I've got no real comparisons to go by.

Buell/Harley can is a total unknown to me... but sounds more compatible with the big 900cc and being a biker type, sounds like something I'd love to do to my sled... just because.

Of course... I could try and recreate the entire stock mounting setup and run the speedwerx can I have up for sale, but without another sled in proper condition to reference, again... I'm clueless about where to even start rebuilding and not terribly excited when I weigh it against the HD option.

So please... I'm coming to ask the folks who know. Please educate me on this situation and what options I have, what's worked best for others, how I can best deal with my setup and is there a specific "Harley" can out there or is it the Buell can, modified... and if so, what, where, how?

thanks for taking the time. :yo:

Last edited:

motocrazy2006

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2011
Williamsburg, Iowa
If you can, post some pictures of your current set-up so we can see the mounting, im pretty sure the 04/05 KK just had springs ont he bottom that held the muffler down.

Need to see how yours is mounted, might be a simple weld a bracket on and be good to go.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
sleds already at the shop. won't be able to get a pic until I go down next week and start patching in the replacement bars/wires/ext.

If you take a look at the speedwerx pipe (http://www.speedwerxstore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=969)... you can see what looks like all kinds of mounting points. I sit it in place and it doesn't even seem like the pipe will reach the full exit hole. There were no springs on the bottom with the FMF can... just on the top and the exhaust tip poking out the exit hole on the bottom held that in place.

When compared to the huge box I've seen here and there on stock setups (mostly online or in parts manual... don't know of one in person) they look like they take up the whole open area on that side. I'll see if I can steal a pic... mine has none of the bottom mounts anymore... but this is as close a pic to the real thing as I can find.
AC04KKJKKUSO21.gif

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
The only thing I can think of is a "Rumble pack can" can't remember who made it maybe Skinz? Are you running this at high altitude (4000ft) and above? or low altitude 2500ft. and below? If the doughnut and flange that it seats against are missing on the end of the pipe, then I would have no clue what to mount! I would look for another pipe to replace unless someone has parts and can weld on for cheap? Mike

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
So what exactly are you looking for? something that fits?

there are only 2 mounting brackets for the can and they come off your chain case, I have both brackets if you would like them. cover shipping and they are yours. PM me a cell number and I can get some pics sent your way...If you don't find the answers you are looking for here, you can always try BCR.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
yea... for some reason, I seem to have much better luck here than BCR when it comes to the little details.

Mainly looking for something that fits and will help the sled open up, not restrict it. I've got this speedwerx can... but without any experience and having been modified since I got it... I'm kinda lost about putting it in.

1mike900... I'm riding in between. 2500 is about the level where I live. I think Priest River through Trestle Creek area is pretty much 4000 and below.

Meatman... I'll take what your willing to give, just to see if I can get it back in and make this SW pipe work, since nobody's answering my sale ads for it anyway.

Appreciate the assist on the cheap. Besides the sled being in the shop to repair the main drive's PTO side bearing, I just found out yesterday that my daily driver ('91 Toyota PU) just lost the #3 cylinder. Not going to be a cheap fix by any means.
I'll shoot you that PM now.

Premium Features