• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'05-King cat drips oil daily?

S
Jan 19, 2011
Have a stock 2005 EFI 900 and it drips oil from a rivet in belly pan 24/7!!! Spoke w/ dealer-he says its the check valve?? All the oil delivery lines are dry & w/o bubbles. Engine has never been worked on nor out of the sled.

It leaks about a teaspoon every 3 days & I cannot find source!! Drip is below the oil injector....so it appears. Removed air box to get a better look but to no avail. I'm pretty certain it is unburned oil from injector housing.

Any feedback will be MUCH appreciated!!!

Mitch

Rixster

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2005
Springville, UT
If you take off your skid plate you can see the bottom of the motor. And then you can see the oil pump and the oil line that goes to the crankcase. You can also see the weep hole. If that is where it is coming from then you have a bad seal on the oil pump shaft. If that's the case, I would just deal with it. Replacing that seal is suck ! At least I wouldnt do it in the middle of the season.

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Mine leaks quite a bit of oil out the bottom as well. There is a hose that goes from midway up (i think) on the engine (maybe from around the valves? Ill have to take another look) and down to the bellow pan.

From there there is a hole in the belly pan and a nice little plug for the hose to connect to. The oil that comes out is gluggy and I just assumed it was overflow from the engine or unburnt oil or something like that. Looks like the setup was made to redirect this oil out the bottom and not into the bellypan of the sled.

Is this normal? :p

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Fish tank, are you talking about the breather hose? Those lines come from the power valves and go out the belly pan. One of the injection lines rides against the right side engine mount and could wear through also.

S
Jan 19, 2011
Yes-the drain lines from the FRONT SIDE of engine are from spent oil from power valves. My leak is near REAR OF ENGINE BELOW INJECTOR HOUSING & LINES. Sounds like it is a fairly big job if it is from oil pump shaft,,according to post above.

The oil drips from PV's are normal & hence...that is why there are 2 black lines routing below chaincase to bleed off that mess. My sled drips blue, fresh, unused oil as if there is a hole in a line or something. But there is NOT!!

Thanks for feedback!!

Mitch

S
Jan 19, 2011
Rixster's solution sounds 2B the most likely cause,IMO. My dealer's talk about a ball bearing letting oil drip also could be viable??? Or...the seal on shaft too. After I ride-it doesn't leak for about 2 weeks then waaalaaa!!! It's back!!!

Oh well-just wondering if it was something that occurs across the board w/ this model but apparently not.

I could "redneck it" & collect the drips & pour back in tank! Thx!!!!!!!

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Rixster's solution sounds 2B the most likely cause,IMO. My dealer's talk about a ball bearing letting oil drip also could be viable??? Or...the seal on shaft too. After I ride-it doesn't leak for about 2 weeks then waaalaaa!!! It's back!!!

Oh well-just wondering if it was something that occurs across the board w/ this model but apparently not.

I could "redneck it" & collect the drips & pour back in tank! Thx!!!!!!!

Jeez must be a decent leak if you can catch it and pour it back in, lol

Premium Features