• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 Engine thread (840cc)

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Bore and stroke seem pretty good. Larger clutch taper and crank should add to reliability.

173hp? That would be a huge jump and I doubt it. 160? Maybe. 175 with mods? Sure.

Time will tell. Nice to see someone else going beyond 800ccs without making ridiculous bore/stroke decisions.

Angermangement890

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2002
Frazee, MN
www.koolmekustoms.com
After looking over this engine quite carefullym it is impressive to see the advancements in technology,. They have brought the 900 CFI of old a LONG way in 13 years. The advancement in cooling system technology found on this engine is quite possibly one of the coolest portions of the engine design. The fuel pressure/temp sensor is going to be vital in protecting the engine from its biggest enemy (its owner). That sensor is probably the most overlooked bit of tech on the whole package, can you imagine how many PRO engines this would have saved from plugged/restricted fuel filters? I would also speculate that Polaris will be able to add an alcohol sensor to it and the days of switching between fuel types will be gone.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Polaris + new motor=:eek:

I really hope this motor is better than the other ones they've built this century. Nothing like selling your sled with less than 2k on it because you have zero faith in the engine.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I like most of the changes, but not sure about the one ring on the piston.. And the price holly.

I agree!

I don't understand why Doo and Polaris think a single ring piston is a good idea (the Doo 850 is also single ring for some reason).

Single ring pistons are fine on a 125 dirt bike that gets rebuilt often and you are trying to get the max power you can.

IMO, it makes no sense on the large bore of two cylinder snowmobile that is not getting rebuilt often and the power difference would be minimal.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
looks like a nice mill.
should know in a year where the weaknesses are.
single ring pistons- maybe they just wanna make rebuilds a hair easier for ya :face-icon-small-win

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I agree!

I don't understand why Doo and Polaris think a single ring piston is a good idea (the Doo 850 is also single ring for some reason).

Single ring pistons are fine on a 125 dirt bike that gets rebuilt often and you are trying to get the max power you can.

IMO, it makes no sense on the large bore of two cylinder snowmobile that is not getting rebuilt often and the power difference would be minimal.

Maybe they know something. :)

I don’t assume they would change from dual ring to single without some purpose?

A large ring with longer piston will rock less (piston and ring) and maybe that’s the idea?

I saw a note about a redesign of the exhaust port, perhaps the large single ring spans the gap better without snagging?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
picture.php

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
This is probably ALSO another one of the little details but possibly one of the msot key upgrades. The amount of variation in performance based on faulty or semi function TPS sensors. INSANE.

Polaris motors are not even at fault half the time. Its the systems and components attached to it (fuel filters, cooling system, electrical etc) that lead to the demise of the motor. Better controls mean better performance and more longevity.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
100 yrs skidoo used single rings.LOL.nothing wrong with that.

Lol

I suppose they have been blowing up about that long as well:)

Seriously though, didn't the REV 800s have single rings and lots of issues? Didn't the 800 Dragon's have single ring pistons?

These are some of the worst 2 stroke engines reliability wise from the last 15 years and had single rings.

Premium Features