• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Demo ride - M1100T from a 4 stroke guy

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
The Cat engineers did not think having a horizontal post would be a big deal. :face-icon-small-con The reason they didnt do it with the original design is because the throttle body is right where the vertical post linkage is. So the 800 vertical steering will not work on the 1100t. The rumor mill ( take it for what it is) says the Brett R road the M1100, got off it and told them "this wont work" the sweeping motion of the handle bars caused by the horizontal post when you tip the riser up, makes the sled turn which ever way you pull on the bars. In an off camber situation this sucks. Up until the poo pro came last year the M sled was the only sled with a vertical post. One of the reasons that chassis worked so well.

For what it is worth my IQ RMK has a vertical post from what I can tell. I comes up from next to the air box (which is right in front of the gas tank) fairly straight and my riser is set at the same angle as the steering post.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
I'd have to call bs on that one.

Too bad typical manufacturer, new product is ALMOST right but not quite, so now you order a 2012 and in 2013 it's standard, pisses me off to the point where maybe another year on the old sled is in order and give the pumped 1100T a year. I am starting to wonder if all these reports are from Cat boosters.

Yep. If we look at the old M as a reference, it took from 2005 to 2010 to get the M "almost" to the point one didn't need to add aftermarket parts before it hit the snow.

So by 2017, the M11Turbo will finally be 95% ready out of the box. :face-icon-small-win

You guys can all be guinea pigs, I'm sitting this one out for at least another year. :wave:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Yep. If we look at the old M as a reference, it took from 2005 to 2010 to get the M "almost" to the point one didn't need to add aftermarket parts before it hit the snow.

So by 2017, the M11Turbo will finally be 95% ready out of the box. :face-icon-small-win

You guys can all be guinea pigs, I'm sitting this one out for at least another year. :wave:

OK but dont ask to ride mine:face-icon-small-hap

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007

Ok, cat WILL offer 38" and vertical, worst case as accessory.... There are not part numbers or finished product yet, so, no decision if it can be either or with snow check...

As I have said before, not stressed either way for me, as I will be buying at-least one set of a-arms as spare anyway...

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
No problem. Just remember that position when my new one has the direct injected two smoke, narrow stance, new handlebar controls, stock vents, seat with storage, refined shocks and springs and yours is two years old. :face-icon-small-coo

ohh, I dont keep anything that long:face-icon-small-ton, besides you only get one chance to have a super cool 50th anniversary retro black 2012 M800 SP LE :wave:

but I hope your right about progress of this new sled, seat with storage , I cant believe they screwed that up, we had the best seat ever, now we a a Polaris seat:loco:

H
Dec 12, 2009
While at the dealership warrantying a cracked spider, the shop owner sat me down to try and talk me into snow checking a 2012.

He had pre-production weights from AC given out to dealers at Jackson (similar to the numbers already posted on the forum), he also called the AC rep for his area to discuss the steering/front width question.

The snow check sleds will not have a vertical steering post on ANY 4 stroke, it will however be available as an accessory (it will be a solid non-adjustable version). AC is aware of the customer demand for a 38" front end, but as of right now the 4 strokes will all be 40". He said there was talk of a dealer installed 38" option, but they were trying to figure out the shock length difference and how they would handle the swap.

This info came this afternoon, straight from an AC rep.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Another good reason I will wait to buy, I have to ride them both before I will throw money out. I will prob compare it to a pro also. There are three sleds I'm interested in yet I can only ride one of them. On my M sleds I have cut the post and angled it forward along with making it stronger, all the way up its prob 4-6" farther forward than the stock location. It just works.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Interesting and informative discussions here. Credit has to be given to 'Cat for rolling out a stock turbo mountain sled. I hope it rips.

Yamaha seems to have noticed by the looks of their snowcheck program.

So, this launch will raise the ante and the sleds we ride will keep getting better.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
For what it is worth my IQ RMK has a vertical post from what I can tell. I comes up from next to the air box (which is right in front of the gas tank) fairly straight and my riser is set at the same angle as the steering post.
You are absolutely right. The IQ dragon had the closest thing to a vertical post. You could ride them with the riser straight inline with the post. I think the reason the dragon gave me that feeling was because the pivot was so much further away from the grips ( tall handle bars short post) and were pivoted forward as most of the dragon riders I ride with have them pushed forward for some reason.

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
can someone answer this question for me. Will the adjustable post fit in these 1100's? I know people have tested them but why cant cat let you pick? I snow checked one for the reason that will set up, why should we have to fork out more for a comfortable sled to ride. Why make it difficult for us? I plan on doing upgrades but the steering post seems like a must for us mountain riders. Im just trying to figure out cat and there issues with trying to make us customers happy. we all want the adjustable post and it seems like the 38 inch A-arms are the way to go.
just venting

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Nothing against the likes of Rasmussen but if you can't adapt to Yammi's or Doo's steering.....your just not trying hard enough. And for Brett, there's no reason to WANT to try to adapt to something he'll only ride once or twice in a season for a miniscule amount of time.
MY step-bro owns a Cat dealership - Rides a 2011 M8 153 that flatout hauls the mail.
He cut this line that was super technical and radio'd me that he'd walk down to get me unstuck when I found the treewell I was looking for....ha ha
I muscled my '06 Rev to the top following his line and cutting over it a few times to get to the top. He went back down and tried again, only on eachothers sleds.....I cut a ridiculous line that made our first attempt look weak. I was actually about to sh*t a brick I didn't think I'd pull out of it but did.
Bro ended up in that treewell he was talking about earlier. Karma.....gotta love it!
Meanwhile our buddy on his 2009 XP was watching and not trying anything but open climbs so I managed to convince him I was gonna make a straight shot to the top of the hill and let me try his sled. He did, and I promptly turned it around and headed to the trees....by this time my step-bro had gotten back on his sled and cut another gnarly line.....I followed right behind without missing a beat.....crested the top....and he was shakin his head. The way home he was still in disbelief that I followed him where I did as no other rider, no matter what they rode, has matched him this year.

If a person can ride one brand really well....it's up to them to continue the trend.....if a person can ride period. Any sled, any time.......just makes it that much more fun cause I have the choice of 4 different brands and not 1 or 2 like other folks......

Long and short of it.....I don't believe for a second that vertical steering is the end all for mtn riders......just learn to adapt and with maybe a little more effort.....a lot of the same can be achieved. Sometimes I just can't pull -off a line or move I'd like......just makes me work harder for it, to me, that's what snowmobiling is all about!

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I can see that in some snow conditions but I have beat myself up for not being able to cut lines on a xp that I did easily with my m1000, In stiffer snow. I never did give up and was tweaking the suspension everyway possible, throwing my weight every direction I could, adjusted the bars forward/downward all over, I tried everything. If I rode it everyday I could probably force it to do what I want, but why force it when half the time I could do the same thing with one hand or sitting down on a well modded cat.

H
Dec 12, 2009
can someone answer this question for me. Will the adjustable post fit in these 1100's?

The steering posts on the sno pro 8's will not fit on the 1100, they would contact the throttle bodies of the 4 stroke motor. The vertical kit they are offering as an accessory will be a non adjustable unit.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I can see that in some snow conditions but I have beat myself up for not being able to cut lines on a xp that I did easily with my m1000, In stiffer snow. I never did give up and was tweaking the suspension everyway possible, throwing my weight every direction I could, adjusted the bars forward/downward all over, I tried everything. If I rode it everyday I could probably force it to do what I want, but why force it when half the time I could do the same thing with one hand or sitting down on a well modded cat.

I ride a REV/XP because I don't like the antique feel of the M-Series. Otherwise the Cutler 1 Liter would have a whole bunch more miles on it and not sit in the shop most weekends.....Feels like riding a bathtub down a luge course.......or a sit down PWC in the way you steer with your butt.....old school......no likey for me.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
here's a thought

if cat knew they could get more money for offering the sled with all the goodies they would. offering the upgrades as aftermarket is good business. the consumers drive the prices down so much that if dealers could only sell new units they'd all go broke and no one would have any sleds to ride or it would cost them 20g up front. you want a fairly priced sled then it will continue to be this way, and if you want the goodies then you will have to open your wallet unfortunatly.

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
My rep. told me there WILL be a vert conversion for the M1100t and a 38 inch ski stance both sold as an accessory.

What would that cost? new Aarms, (maybe new shocks) and v steering, with out shocks I'd estimate $1000?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Great review. I checked the 1100t SP 50th. I'm thinking MBRP can and just leave it stock and simple. 15lb weight loss and 10HP? Who knows. Either way, looking forward to it.

M
Jan 26, 2011
I JUST A ORDERED A 1100T TURBO SNO PRO WITH THE 220HP.CHIP.I RIDE A STOCK
M8 SP AND I AGREE THAT ONE SHOULD LEARN TO RIDE BEFORE ADDRESSING A SLEDS PERFORMANCE SHORTCOMMINGS WITH MODS.KEEP IT SIMPLE PORT,POLISH,
CAN,LEFTY'S,PROPER PRIMARY CL.SET UP.YOUR GOLDEN.MOST MOD.KATS I KNOW
SEIZE THIS,BREAK THAT AND MYST.CRAP OUTS AND I HAVE TO DRAG EM HOME.
I'M A HIGH MTN.CO.RIDER I GO ANYWHERE/NO PROBLEMO'S.BUT,SOMETIMES I
GETASCARED.HEE-HEE.VOODOO

Premium Features