• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Demo ride - M1100T from a 4 stroke guy

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
I also posted this in another topic on the page but I figured that that post had enough interest and questions that I'd just start a new one. I wish I could have had this kind of info when I bought my last sled.

I was very lucky to be invited by a dealer to ride the 2012's in Island Park at the Cat demo ride. This is about as unbiased a review as you're going to get, the only Cat I've ever owned is a 99 ZR580 shorty.

I have been on a 300+ hp MCX "lightweight" Apex for 4 years. I think to give a real world opinion of the M1100T it is tough for 2 stroke guys. Anything other than a 2 stroke anything is going to "feel" heavy. Even factory Cat guys think a 4 stroke is heavy. Anyone who has made the switch from a 2 stroke knows what they are getting themselves into. No one tries to convince themselves "it's almost as light".

The rider that has the Snowest post is dead on with the M1100T opinion. Stock to stock it wasn't that close, took lines that other riders were doing on the M8's and I wasn't struggling in some of those spots they were. I didn't ride the 2 stroke anything other than my dealer's Stage 2 Cutler on a 2011 M8. I would rather ride the stock M1100T, not because it had more power obviously, but I could never get used to the old chassis. I felt so at home on the new chassis that I could ride it more aggressively than the sled I've rode for 4 years. The rider forward steering post will not be on the 2012 but will be available as aftermarket I understand. I rode the M1100T Snow Pro with the 40" ski stance and the "mule" as they call it with the rider forward post and the 38" stance. The forward post location was perfect for me. It made the ability to flick the sled around way easier than the difference the ski stance made IMO. It didn't hurt that that sled also had an extra 20-25 horse, even thou they said they were all the same. Right.

For anyone who doesn't know, the MCX kit on an Apex is a rear mount turbo. I obviously don't dance thru the trees like a 2 stroke but my favorite riding type is boondocking so I've learned to ride with weight and rear mount turbo lag. The front mount on the M1100T felt like no lag to me. It's building boost at 4000rpm! I'm used to nothing until 6K. Guys used to 2 strokes were talking how the throttle response was slower, and well it will be. I can say when I get on a 2 stroke that it has no torque. Again, if you don't ride 4 stroke it's not like changing from a 600 to an 800 on the same chassis. You have to learn to ride it differently. I'm not trying to say I'm the best rider in the world but I can ride a 4 stroke better than a 2 stroke after 4 years of being on one. My dealer buddy stretched a ZR1 EXT with anywhere between 220 and 280hp and rode it this year. He will not be going back to his 2 stroke turbos he's riden for the last 5 years. He is sold.

I will be riding a M1100T SP this fall. I know what it is and I know what I will do to make it ride how I want. It is nothing new, anyone that gets into 4 stroke will not leave it stock for very long. I can tell you that I can't remember very many days that I had that much fun sledding, and on a stock sled to boot. That thing is probably lighter than the 10K spent on lightweight parts for my Apex. You can't complain that 560lbs is still too heavy, you are never going to see a 4 stroke close to 2 stroke weight from factory. I think it is unbelieveable how much they did to get a factory sled to that weight. Check out the other manufacture's 4 stroke weights.....

Seat heater sounds a little wussy, but it's cool.
The goggle warmer pouch is killer.
I've never been more impressed with a sled, stock or otherwise. The balance of the sled was so right for me. I'm 6'2" 230.

I can't beleive I just waved a Cat flag. My buddy hassles me now, but not as much as I give him grief after all the smack he talked about 4 strokes for the last 4 years.

Last edited:

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
Great review. I get the feeling cat is going to flat take over the 4-stroke market this year with this sled. Lighter, more powerful, and more rider friendly then anything Yamaha can offer for under $17k... Sure there will still be many of us 2-stroke guys but for anyone looking to have big power and reliability, it sounds like this is the way to go. Thanks for the info.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
That is a very good review, I rode my lightweight Apex for 3 seasons,nice sled but just puttin 8K into it after buying it never really sat well with me. Factory turbo is really nice as its all there,make some ecu/boost changes and ur prob in the 200++ range. you are totally correct about the weight, 560 ish is pretty amazing for a 4 stroke.

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
good review

very good write up & review....coming from a "2 stroke guy" lol.....i have been tempted...just not quite yet though!!

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
That's a good question. It worked for me because I have my TApex set up that way to get over the weight better. You also have more leverage. I have a Motion riser on mine so I could experiment to my hearts content.

I guess you have to remember that these are a bunch of 2 stroke guys trying to cover all their bases on their first try at the 4 stroke mountain segment. If they had a bunch of 5-6 year veteran 4 stroke riders in the R&D department it would be a no brainer IMO. For the first attempt I couldn't be more impressed.

If all I have to do is relocation and a box to get 90% of what my TApex was that's cheap. I think you'll see a lot of these on the snow next year.:heh:

H

Hilly

Jul 6, 2001
Esko, Mn
Oh and this post is going to make it so much easier for me to wait until next fall to get my hands on my new T1100 Pro-Climb. Great another night of dreaming about pulling the trigger on my new cat. Thanks for the loss of sleep. :face-icon-small-dis

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
Question: If the straight up steering is that much more impressive why didin't they just build them that way instead of offering it through the aftermarket?

The Cat engineers did not think having a horizontal post would be a big deal. :face-icon-small-con The reason they didnt do it with the original design is because the throttle body is right where the vertical post linkage is. So the 800 vertical steering will not work on the 1100t. The rumor mill ( take it for what it is) says the Brett R road the M1100, got off it and told them "this wont work" the sweeping motion of the handle bars caused by the horizontal post when you tip the riser up, makes the sled turn which ever way you pull on the bars. In an off camber situation this sucks. Up until the poo pro came last year the M sled was the only sled with a vertical post. One of the reasons that chassis worked so well.

Last edited:
M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
That's a good question. It worked for me because I have my TApex set up that way to get over the weight better. You also have more leverage. I have a Motion riser on mine so I could experiment to my hearts content.

I guess you have to remember that these are a bunch of 2 stroke guys trying to cover all their bases on their first try at the 4 stroke mountain segment. If they had a bunch of 5-6 year veteran 4 stroke riders in the R&D department it would be a no brainer IMO. For the first attempt I couldn't be more impressed.

If all I have to do is relocation and a box to get 90% of what my TApex was that's cheap. I think you'll see a lot of these on the snow next year.:heh:

only thing I would add to this is, it is a bunch of non mountain riders saying the flat steering is ok....whereas you get with a bunch of MOuntain Riders, and they say Vertical only...It is the difference in style, are you sitting down most of the time? (horizontal) Or are you standing most of the time (vertical)

Most of Cats customers are flatland sledders, and the horizontal/layed down steering works...that is also true of Yamaha...and apparently Skidoo...

I think all of us mountain riders are making a big enough stink to make them think though :)

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
i heard you can sno check with the vertical post and 38" stance. need to tell your dealer.

provide facts please...This is not necessarily facts anywhere that I have seen...would LOVE it if that were true though...

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
My rep. told me there WILL be a vert conversion for the M1100t and a 38 inch ski stance both sold as an accessory. I bet 2013 will be production.

JustBoostIt

Lifetime Membership
That is my understanding too.

Having rode 300+ the last 4 years I'm not completely sold on the "tippier" 38" stance at 30-40mph when you put some power to it. I like to have deliberate input on where I'm going at that speed. I think it's good that you will ride 40" stock and then decide on the kit for narrower if you still want it. 38" won't be for everyone. I know I won't change stance until I'm at the power level I like.

The relocation kit will go on before it even sees snow.:face-icon-small-win

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
i heard you can sno check with the vertical post and 38" stance. need to tell your dealer.

a accessory kit maybe but not a snow check sled, to late for that, they only have the one mule set up that from what I saw

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
That is my understanding too.

Having rode 300+ the last 4 years I'm not completely sold on the "tippier" 38" stance at 30-40mph when you put some power to it. I like to have deliberate input on where I'm going at that speed. I think it's good that you will ride 40" stock and then decide on the kit for narrower if you still want it. 38" won't be for everyone. I know I won't change stance until I'm at the power level I like.

The relocation kit will go on before it even sees snow.:face-icon-small-win

brings up a good point, some will be better off with the stability of the 40 inch stance

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
brings up a good point, some will be better off with the stability of the 40 inch stance

will buy as accessory or whatever, regardless...more than likely will go through a set of a-arms or two next year...have done so, every year for the last 5, why stop now :)

J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007

I'd have to call bs on that one.

Too bad typical manufacturer, new product is ALMOST right but not quite, so now you order a 2012 and in 2013 it's standard, pisses me off to the point where maybe another year on the old sled is in order and give the pumped 1100T a year. I am starting to wonder if all these reports are from Cat boosters.

Premium Features