• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Symtoms of bad reeds on a turbo?

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
What are the symtoms of bad reeds on a turbo sled. My TM1000 was running great and then just started going down hill. WOT it starts to boost up then just dies, once in a while it will take off, but after about 5-6 seconds starts sputtering agian. Then it will get real boggy and rich in lower and mid range.....doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. First starting it up seems okay until it gets warm, then runs like crap.

Will bad reeds cause the engine light ot come on?

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
this is a tough one, bad reeds will show many different issues, some folks will stick true to one single issue being caused from one single time they shcnaged some reeds......its a PITA to tell if a problem is truly related to the reeds. I change reeds every 4-500 miles no matter what, well actually i just change the top reeds no matter what, and will change the lower ones if needed:beer;

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Ya, I'm checking them tonight. I checked the pistons out through the power valves and all looks good there. Plugs were good, I'm drying out the electrical in the front, and I'll see what happens.
Hope it's minor and I can find it.

B
Dec 13, 2007
NE Oregon
I had an SC Apex and had to change the control box out because I got a little moisture in it and started doing some strange things like that. I dried it out and got 1 1/2 rides on it before the same thing happened again. If reeds and everything else is ok, my guess would be the controller. Good luck.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Maybe an air leak ??

Bad reeds are usually indicated by poor idle and crappy 1/4 throttle response on a turbo sled. Once you pull full throttle and the turbo builds boost it becomes less appearant and the pressurized motor runs pretty good.

In the past I have had similar problems like the ones you described but they have been the result of an air leak. I would check to make sure the air box is still connected to the throttle bodies, make sure Pipe and Y-pipe do not have splits or tears and check to make sure your connections are all tight. It could be a split in the factory weld on the pipe and it may not exhibit any conditions until the split in the pipe opens up under full throttle and boost conditions. When that happens the control box, turbo and motor all freak out.

good luck and good hunting. db

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Check your boots underneath where oil injection spigot is, seen quite a few 1000 turbos split there, usually the PTO side.

Premium Features