• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 using coolant

My son's 2009 Polaris 700 is using a lot of coolant. So much that it is fouling spark plugs and washing down the PTO side cylinder. I pressure tested it today and it is not leaking from the head gaskets as I do not see any coolant on the piston. I pumped it to 15 pounds and within 3 minutes, it goes to 0. The coolant bottle is down 4 inches now too.
We just put a top end gasket in it last weekend to see if it was the issue, apparently not.
I am wondering if the water pump seal is out that it would just leak into the PTO side bottomend? We put a crank in it last fall and it did not leak at all before that so I wonder if that did something to the seal.
It looks like the motor is coming out to solve the issue regardless.
Anybody have suggestions what else it could be?

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Why did you need to put a crank in it, I lost a crank in an 800 CFI-4 (860 actually) but caught it before it did any damage (shut down when it made an odd metallic sound). If things got a little nasty rattling around in there you could have cracked (hairline maybe) a case. Otherwise the water pump seal is your main suspect, I had the dealer put mine in as it requires a special tool and can be damaged easily when putting it in and I did not want to do it twice.

Premium Features