• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PTO Seal Leak

A
Sep 29, 2008
I somewhat hijacked this topic from someone in the Axys forum, but seeing as I'm boosted I thought I'd bring it over here and see if its a common problem.

'16 Axys with a Silber turbo. After removing my primary I found fresh oil residue on the seal cover and PTO, as well as behind the cover. I'd say less than 3mL total. Could this be from boost pressure in the crankcase pushing oil out the seal? Anybody else seeing this?

In the Axys forum thread someone said cases have to be split to replace this seal, so I won't be fixing it right now. If I start to see it being flung into the belly pan or clutch guard I'll consider doing something about it. Considering the amount of oiling Silber tuning provides I am confident my main bearings are sufficiently lubricated. Right now this is a very insignificant oil loss in what is a total-loss lubrication system.

Phil

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
yes im seeing the same thing. ran my 16 stock for 200 miles and had clutch off several times with no visible oil leaking. installed silber turbo this fall have taken 1 trip about 250 miles pulled clutch to check motor mounts and had oil weeping out of seal and had the cover semi wet on the bottom. cleaned up oil residue and ran sled at idle to see if it was pulling in air. couldnt get idle to fluctuate while spraying seal with starting fluid.

Been monitoring compression daily, compression hasnt changed since new. Not sure if others have checked there seals so i dont know if this is a symptom of having boost or if it a bad seal.

Would be nice if others chimed in that have inspected there crank seals to see if this is a common problem !!!!

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
My clutch was pulled with 0 miles and sent to IS for balancing. ive sent in every clutch ive owned for balancing since the 80s. ive never had a crank seal leak unless the the crank was broke in half. so i can rule out the clutch balancing.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Completely normal fie every sled I have boosted. Those seals were not intended to hold crank pressure so much they were to keep from sucking air in.

All of mine of leaked since boosting with zero issues.

treetopflyer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2007
Thats good to hear, I planned on running it as is. couldnt imagine the seal was bad being it didnt leak pre turbo and leaked post turbo. thanks for the reply !!!!!!!

Premium Features