• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 PG M8T Flooded BAD

J
Dec 3, 2007
2007 M8 PG Turbo, Attitude control box, 9 lbs of boost, Avgas

I went riding last Saturday, had a great ride, machine was running great.

Probably put 20-30 miles starting and stopping the sled plenty, shutting on and off before I pulled up to the group, let the machine idle down, and then shut it off.

Only thing was after this time shutting down it would not re-start.

I put new plugs in on the hill, pulled plugs and turned it over and had some gas spray come out. I was getting both fuel and spark, but could not get the thing started. It pulled over a little funny and I figured something happened in the top end / crank.

I got towed home and brought it into my garage. I pulled the plugs, unplugged the fuel pump, unplugged the injectors, and pulled and pulled. So much gas came out of the spark plug holes my machine was entirely covered in gas (note to self for next time, don't leave spark plugs hooked up to wires, good thing I had my compressed air gun handy, otherwise I'd be asking about garage building ideas!). I pulled for 3-4 minutes spewing massive amounts of fuel. The crank must have been completely filled with fuel. I then put the plugs back in leaving the fuel pump and injectors un-plugged. It started up first pull and ran with no fuel pressure / injectors firing for over a minute!

I checked injectors, they are not sticking and do not leak a drop of fuel under full fuel pressure. The machine starts and runs great now in my garage. Compression is good, but machine has 3500 miles, so new pistons are going in tomorrow.

My question:
How on earth did this thing get so loaded up?

What can I do to keep it from happening again?

Is it possible all the gasoline in the crankcase hurt the crank bearings?

What is a Cat crank supposed to feel like when you turn it over without plugs in it? Mine has 12 distinct stopping points. Not hard to overcome, kinda feels like a DC electric motor going through the magnets. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. The crank just sort of moves in 30 degree increments. If you stop it between incriments, it moves to one. If I run the motor and stop it, the increments are in the exact same spots. It seems too consistent to be a bad bearing or something, but I didnt think the stator would be this powerful? Maybe it is and i'm just not used to it.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If your fuel pressure regulator is regulated by a boost line that goes into the tank it probably fell off or has a hole in it, so when the machine is shut off the gas gravity feeds through the boost line into the intake. May not be your problem but I've seen it happen. No need to tear down the motor.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Only thing was after this time shutting down it would not re-start.

this is a very common problem with these boosted cats......and has made me almost give it up

what to do:
- let it idle for at least 15secs before you shut it off

what to do when it wont start:
1- turn the kill switch to on (so it wont start)
2- pull the cord 3 times (it should pop and sound as if it almost started)
3- now turn the kill switch off (ready to run)
4- now hold and throttle down (WOT) and pull the cord, it usually starts the very first time, feather the throttle a bit to keep it running.....this is working very well for me:beer;

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
this is a very common problem with these boosted cats......and has made me almost give it up

what to do:
- let it idle for at least 15secs before you shut it off

what to do when it wont start:
1- turn the kill switch to on (so it wont start)
2- pull the cord 3 times (it should pop and sound as if it almost started)
3- now turn the kill switch off (ready to run)
4- now hold and throttle down (WOT) and pull the cord, it usually starts the very first time, feather the throttle a bit to keep it running.....this is working very well for me:beer;

:beer;To You, Thanks, this will be good to know for all of us rookies.

J
Dec 3, 2007
And the winner is.....

Hatchers nailed it. All boost lines are connected and didn't have any problems. I can start the machine using the method me mentioned, and then I get a check engine code 6, which is a coolant temp sensor. I know they had problems with heat soak, but this one looks like it has just gone out because it runs pig rich everywhere.

If I don't give it full throttle when trying to start, it floods in 2-3 pulls. I pulled for hours the day I had to get towed out!

I'm going to install a new coolant temp sensor. Anyone got any advice? It looks like I can get to it by the recoil, but I might have to take the belly pan off?

Premium Features