• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon Front Bumper

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
Yes the bumper scenario is intersting...I use the 2" rule when it comes to going over trees...it seems however that the outside temp. has a lot to do with how vulnerable the plastic bumper is. I have barely bumped something an broke a bumper..then i have went airborn flew thru a tree and put one ski on each side of the next tree.and everything was perfect..except for my forearm. I think it probably really depends on temp+angle coefficient+sped of impact..in other words it will be an unsolved mystery!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
We think that all of this stuff is too expensive. The truth is, supply and demand is the buisness rule . That is, and always has been true.

When the supply of these products is dramatically increased, the price will come down. Until then, you gotta pay to play.

I will be putting one of these on my sled, as I know that the stock bumpers are extremely weak and replacing expensive plastic sucks.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Manufacturing Skills

Well, after assessing my welding/fabricating skills, talking to a local guy, then another, I ordered the bumper.

Don't get me wrong, I don't squeal when I spend money, but I choke so this was a big decision for me.

I see it as insurance. I choke when I pay that too. I just fixed all that broken plastic, and there isn't a thing stopping it from being broken again, maybe the next ride out. At least now I can bump something without breaking a couple hundred in plastic. If I smack something hard enough to bend the bulkhead I'm out of business anyway and it will be up to my insurance guy to fix it then.

I hope everyone has a good season and trees run AWAY instead of IN FRONT ! Bagger

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I also agree that a 400 pair of skis is too much but I'm also aware of tooling cost for that type of product. The other products you speak of MH are very different in the type of money that goes into tooling and the type of equipment costs involved. I also dont agree that you should charge a marked up premium for R&D time if you are going to spread that cost out over volume. Aluminum tube is cheap. water jetting alum. plate in quantity is cheap. once you build a jig for this, welding time is minimized. R&D costs..... who knows, but it shouldnt be a 200 dollar primium per unit.....

Seroiusly MH ( I love the MH view and very thankful for your help in the past but this ones crazy)....

what do you think it cost Holz to have an extrusion developed for those ez steer spindles, plus machining cost, and then to annodize them...... they are less money.....

how about the cost for Slydog to develop molds for thier skis..... Tens of thousands of dollars is the answer...... same money

900 for a one piece tunnel. I'll tell you, a break with a 12 foot bed is going to cost you a couple hundred thousand dollars. plus water jet, and I know there is a lot more waist in a sheet than with small components. plus welding....

tube bumper, tube material, minimal scrap. water jet small patterns, minimal waist, pieced jigged together.... come on... 400...

None of your examples is even close. Maybe he isnt making a killing on them. maybe because he isnt moving them in volume that he could be with a reasonable cost. To flatlanders too.......

No worries 900RMKRidgerunner, thats why we live in the good ole USA!! People are entitled to their opinions.

I'm as cheap as the next guy...I looked into having one that I designed built and did not have any luck getting any decent pricing on it.. Most good aluminum tig welders charge $75/hour (maybe $40 in the midwest). There is a lot of work getting everything to fit right.

But I hope that you are not copying TCP's design... that would suck taking someones design.

Holz spindles are not extrusions according to Mark Holz. Billet machined. Slydogs, SLP, C&A etc CAN distribute their cost over every sled brand out there with the same ski... plus, in this age of 5 Axis CNC centers, rapid injection mold pattern making is very inexpensive compared to just 10 years ago. Global plastics, Slydogs parent is turning a very good profit on the skis.. There is probably $12 worth of HDPE in a pair of skis and another $10 in hardware.

There is a very limited number of these bumpers being ordered.. Even a cheaper price, they would sell MAYBE 200 per year??

Plus, It's not like I'd want this stuff sent to China for mass production....you just dont do business like that when you have been doing your R&D with a local fabricator that put his food on the table just like you and I do.. you cant just say "I'm taking by assembly work someplace elese to make more money". That same shop does have a press-brake that you talk about costing $100K.... The kind of small shop that is willing to do a 100 or 200 piece run of a part and help with the R&D is not going to be able to crank out parts like the Chineese or Big shops can... and those big shops will not be willing to work with you on anything but an auto cad design.

I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with for an "apples to apples" comparison from another shop. Apples being a complete kit that includes the bumper, powdercoat, hardware, all parts needed, instructions packing and shipping services.

Anybody that I've talked to or emailed about the bumper that has actually had one in his hand, with all of the bits and pieces, has complained about the price...

I just hate to see good products put down because they cost more for the quality you are getting.

Last edited:

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I say shocks are too expensive, and skis, and whole sleds, and tracks, and A-arms, and Spindles, and Pipes, and cans, but you don’t hear about those items because they are produced by many different companies whose prices are similar so we assume that's what we should be paying. Where this bumper is expensive because there is no comparison except to the cost of replacing the stock plastics.

No worries 900RMKRidgerunner, thats why we live in the good ole USA!! People are entitled to their opinions.

I'm as cheap as the next guy...I looked into having one that I designed built and did not have any luck getting any decent pricing on it.. Most good aluminum tig welders charge $75/hour (maybe $40 in the midwest). There is a lot of work getting everything to fit right.

But I hope that you are not copying TCP's design... that would suck taking someones design.

Holz spindles are not extrusions according to Mark Holz. Billet machined. Slydogs, SLP, C&A etc CAN distribute their cost over every sled brand out there with the same ski... plus, in this age of 5 Axis CNC centers, rapid injection mold pattern making is very inexpensive compared to just 10 years ago. Global plastics, Slydogs parent is turning a very good profit on the skis.. There is probably $12 worth of HDPE in a pair of skis and another $10 in hardware.

There is a very limited number of these bumpers being ordered.. Even a cheaper price, they would sell MAYBE 200 per year??

Plus, It's not like I'd want this stuff sent to China for mass production....you just dont do business like that when you have been doing your R&D with a local fabricator that put his food on the table just like you and I do.. you cant just say "I'm taking by assembly work someplace elese to make more money". That same shop does have a press-brake that you talk about costing $100K.... The kind of small shop that is willing to do a 100 or 200 piece run of a part and help with the R&D is not going to be able to crank out parts like the Chineese or Big shops can... and those big shops will not be willing to work with you on anything but an auto cad design.

I'm interested in seeing what you guys come up with for an "apples to apples" comparison from another shop. Apples being a complete kit that includes the bumper, powdercoat, hardware, all parts needed, instructions packing and shipping services.

Anybody that I've talked to or emailed about the bumper that has actually had one in his hand, with all of the bits and pieces, has complained about the price...

I just hate to see good products put down because they cost more for the quality you are getting.

10 more days it will be legal for me to be out of my back yard. Bumper probobly wont be such a hit when it cost that in gas for the weekend to ride....

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
10 more days it will be legal for me to be out of my back yard. Bumper probobly wont be such a hit when it cost that in gas for the weekend to ride....

Amen to that....

It costs over $100 to fill up the truck these days, OUCH!!!

Wearing an Ankle bracelet buddy??

An interesting point on another thread that I moved over here.

Do what JW said [install a TCP bumper] and the next tree you hit it will bend the bulkhead.

That, my friend, is where we differ... (and I stress the friend part)

I have the TCP bumper and can say that if you hit something hard enough with the TCP bumper attached and bend the bulkhead....It would have happend without it as well and taken a whole lot else with it. The IQ bulkhead is a triangulated design (different than the REV) sleds.

Bulkhead-2.jpg

RMKRIDER... have you had one of the TCP bumper in your hands or installed one? If you haven't, I can understand where the doubts are coming from.

The bulkhead on the IQ is very strong, but if it were to crumple I'd rather replace that at $1050 (for the complete 2007 -2008 bulhead tunnel assy) than a motor that got split in half, pipe, can, throttle bodies, hood, airbox, steering hoop, steering post etc....

The bulkhead/tunnel assys are not the most expensive parts on the sled... Actually, the two fenders, hood, nose pan, hinge etc add up to be way more than a bulkhead costs... I'll take the bumper any day!

The TCP bumper distrubutes the load across the bulkead and the bulhead is actually reinforced by this distribution.

Pray for snow everyone!!!

08poo800

Nov 26, 2007
Shakopee, MN
I have been following the talk on the bumper and actually ordered one for my new 08. However, I have not seen an answer to the skid plate question, though I may have missed it.

Do you install a skid plate or do you just run the tri city bumper?

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
I have been following the talk on the bumper and actually ordered one for my new 08. However, I have not seen an answer to the skid plate question, though I may have missed it.

Do you install a skid plate or do you just run the tri city bumper?

Isn't the point of a skid plate to help protect the bulkhead?

S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
so i tear up my front end about once a year. or at least something once a year last year was the front belly pan and the thing that connects the hood to the front bumper on my 06 600 ho.. now i will be picking up my 08 800 dragon and something will eventually happen when you put alot of miles on a sled. if you never have a wreck then you aint riden.. my question is???? can i put the tcp bumper on after the stock gets trashed or will i screw up a lot of stuff where i would have been better of going with the tcp right off the bat. my buddy gets about 80$ an hour to tig....it's a wash 400 or spend a weekend building it. i'd rather go riding.....and mountainhorse if you want to get it repowdered coated it's only about 40$.......thanks

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
First off the coating that comes with the TCP bumper is pretty nice and very rugged.

You can put it on after you break your stock bumper, however the question is, what else will you break with the stock bumper?

When you put it on you remove the stock bumper, the front 2 vent screens and the belly pan section. The sides are the only thing you keep, and you will cut those.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
You can subsidize the cost of the TCP by selling the stock nose pan, grille and bumper to someone else for probably around $140 on Ebay or the Swap meet. With the standardizing of the IQ front ends they will have a lot of appeal to the flatlanders... makes the end cost on the TCP less than $300.

K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
For those of you do-it-yourselfers, what has been your average install time, start to finish?

S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
i'm sold... thanks guys... and i would also like to know about how long for the adverage jo. i have the know how to make stuff but i'm less than a great mec.

troyby

Premium Member
Oct 12, 2005
Kaysville, Utah
I purchased the bumper after I had to use a tree to stop myself from going into an avy. I was sure that my front end would be gone, but it survived. While i was looking for damage, I realized how little there was protecting my $600 slp single. If I smash this bumper once and save the pipe I just saved $200. You do the math on what you save on plastic.

It took me about 2.5 Hours to install. Go slow, because you only cut too much once!!

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
For those of you do-it-yourselfers, what has been your average install time, start to finish?

The first one (I installed one on my sled and one on the wifes) I did took me about 3.5 hours.
I am always reluctant to cut up my sled. So I took a long time to check, re-check, tripple check and then cut. The second time took me right at 2 hours.

An airsaw makes the job a LOT easier.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
So, Ollie....

and I see that you started on Momma's sled too.....nothing like a practice run, huh? Bagger:beer;

Premium Features