• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Redneck Racing.. The Fix for the 800 Dragons

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
sled

also maybee different sleds vary but all our customers are really liking how they are running after we get this kit on them!!!!!!

WE will keep updating as we sell them and how they keep working.

I am heading out west with one on a pro rmk vary soon!!!

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
2007dragonman, This kit sounds good theory wise except for the reported high temps of 150-160 degrees is when it sounds crazy! If this kit worked at lower temps like at around 105-110 things would be better and certainly safer for sure.

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Just wondering if anyone has seen the temp light come on at higher than "normal" operating temps? Sure, everyone is use to seeing 120-135 temps on the gauge, but, at what temp does the temp light come on at?

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
2007dragonman, This kit sounds good theory wise except for the reported high temps of 150-160 degrees is when it sounds crazy! If this kit worked at lower temps like at around 105-110 things would be better and certainly safer for sure.

Just a status report of this new kit.. i have just recently put 120 miles on my sled, another shorty 800 with 110 miles. another dragon 155..all have slp full pipe and cans. now all of our temps were running at 150 degrees constantly! on all of our sleds! we had a poker run today and we rode these sleds like no other... we were in crp fields, powder, hardpacked, cornfields, swamps, you name it and we were there tearing sh*t up. never got hotter then 150 degreess and all will swear there is no hesitation and waaay more power then before, all also had NO cold shot after each stop at bar! I really think this kit is legit and got 5 other guys wanting to get them put on installed at the dealer asap!

M

minus40

Oct 22, 2001
Just a status report of this new kit.. i have just recently put 120 miles on my sled, another shorty 800 with 110 miles. another dragon 155..all have slp full pipe and cans. now all of our temps were running at 150 degrees constantly! on all of our sleds! we had a poker run today and we rode these sleds like no other... we were in crp fields, powder, hardpacked, cornfields, swamps, you name it and we were there tearing sh*t up. never got hotter then 150 degreess and all will swear there is no hesitation and waaay more power then before, all also had NO cold shot after each stop at bar! I really think this kit is legit and got 5 other guys wanting to get them put on installed at the dealer asap!

Are you confident enough in this kit to go try a easy trail type ride around 10-20% throttle and get back to us?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

Outlaw 525,

I have a few questions if you don't mind?

Are you working for the maker of the GIZMO?

Are you affilated in anyway with the Dealers for the product that are selling them?

Are you Friends with the dealers/maker that sell them?

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
sled

No he is not with that dealer!!!We have been selling these kits like hot cakes!!! so far no issues!!!

I cant say for sure on just cruising along. The guys that have the kits on right now usually drive really fast!!!!

WE will keep updating

I hope this kit fixes the engine probs!!!!

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Gizmo Questions

After talking with a friend about the gizmo we came up with some other things to ponder...and the Possible shortcomings?

1) The bypass line on the Gizmo does not seem to be thermostat controlled. If so, the coolant that flows through the bypass line, when the Gizmo t-stat is open, does NOT flow thru the coolers.. This takes away from the cooling capacity of the sled...ie the ability to shed heat.

2) The "cold shot" that seems to be the focus of the design still occurs on cold start up after sitting for more than a couple of hours outdoors or on initial start-up in the morning... the Gizmo does not do anything about this.

3) I'm as concerned about the "Hot Shot" that the engine gets which, IMO, may be worsened by the Gizmo.

If you have been sitting for a while, the t-stat in the Gizmo is closed by design. The Gizmo gets it "temp signal" at the thermostat-bulb from the cold coolant that has been chilling in the coolers as reported.... with a very small amount of bypass water around the gizmo.

If someone sits and eats a 15 min lunch... the Gizmo t-stat is closed as reported above... upon start-up, if someone goes for an immediate "rip up the hill", the Gizmo will take some time (who knows what this is during operation) to come up to temp as the coolers are only getting this small amount of coolant through the coolers to blend the temps and get the coolers up to temp.

Well on the rip up the hill, the engine thermo is open... and the bypass is flowing 95% of the coolant Until the thermo in the Gizmo cracks-open.

IMO,in this scenario, the engine temps will skyrocket and cause the ECU to go into protection mode... pulling timing and adding fuel. This could pose a problem on a tough climb or technical sidehill above obstacles if the sled hesitates or looses power in this mode.

This fast ramp up of temps before the Gizmo opens is what I'm calling "hot shot"

You will still need to let the sled warm up to temp with the Gizmo installed which some people seem to forget about.

4) The engines and control systems were designed to work at lower temps...

Going into it blindly saying "it seems to work for me" and that the temp thing does not "seem" to be causing the engine to go into protection mode is not showing the whole picture.

...IMO It would be good to see some track dyno numbers running the gizmo for long times (say 5 minutes) at varying throttle positions with the sled operating above 150 degrees... and at what temps the engines seem to be pulling power or putting the sled into protective mode.

5) On the standard RMK's... Redneck is recommending disconnection the fwd tunnel heat exchanger so the bypass can be hooked into the Gizmo. The stock bulkhead cooler is plumbed so that the bypass flow REMAINS cooled during operation.

It is removed, I assume, because there would be no way to run this cooler in the bypass line with out the "cold shot" from that cooler.

In a Gizmo install into a std RMK, the coolant should be routed through this cooler in series with the other cooler.

5) On the Pro RMK's (compared to the Dragons)... the cooling system is smaller in both surface area and liquid capacity.

Diminishing the flow through the tunnel coolers by the amount of liquid that flows through the Bypass-Line is taking away from an already small cooling sytem that was flow/capacity optimized for the engine....Probably more noticeable on a turbo sled.

We have not really come into the warm season yet. But those coastal riders that I know, in this last 50 degree heat-wave have been seeing, have their bone-stock PRO's temp at 150-170+ on the hardpack trail with scratchers down. Riding next to the same length Dragons at 120-135 degrees with scratchers down.

This has to make you wonder about the cooling capacity of a PRO RMK since the cooling arrangements are identical in the two sleds with the only difference being the size of the coolers (larger on the Dragons) and the holes in the snow flap that keep the valuable snow-spray inside the tunnel and not out the holes.

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
Outlaw 525,

I have a few questions if you don't mind?

Are you working for the maker of the GIZMO?

Are you affilated in anyway with the Dealers for the product that are selling them?

Are you Friends with the dealers/maker that sell them?
I do work at a dealer, and we do sell these kits but i wouldnt promote something that wouldnt work or something i wouldnt beleive in. I was looking one day for a fix and ponderd across redneck racings website and i decided to give it a try.. glad i did because i reaaly do beleive in them...and so far so good they work!

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
After talking with a friend about the gizmo we came up with some other things to ponder...and the Possible shortcomings?

1) The bypass line on the Gizmo does not seem to be thermostat controlled. If so, the coolant that flows through the bypass line, when the Gizmo t-stat is open, does NOT flow thru the coolers.. This takes away from the cooling capacity of the sled...ie the ability to shed heat.

2) The "cold shot" that seems to be the focus of the design still occurs on cold start up after sitting for more than a couple of hours outdoors or on initial start-up in the morning... the Gizmo does not do anything about this.

3) I'm as concerned about the "Hot Shot" that the engine gets which, IMO, may be worsened by the Gizmo.

If you have been sitting for a while, the t-stat in the Gizmo is closed by design. The Gizmo gets it "temp signal" at the thermostat-bulb from the cold coolant that has been chilling in the coolers as reported.... with a very small amount of bypass water around the gizmo.

If someone sits and eats a 15 min lunch... the Gizmo t-stat is closed as reported above... upon start-up, if someone goes for an immediate "rip up the hill", the Gizmo will take some time (who knows what this is during operation) to come up to temp as the coolers are only getting this small amount of coolant through the coolers to blend the temps and get the coolers up to temp.

Well on the rip up the hill, the engine thermo is open... and the bypass is flowing 95% of the coolant Until the thermo in the Gizmo cracks-open.

IMO,in this scenario, the engine temps will skyrocket and cause the ECU to go into protection mode... pulling timing and adding fuel. This could pose a problem on a tough climb or technical sidehill above obstacles if the sled hesitates or looses power in this mode.

This fast ramp up of temps before the Gizmo opens is what I'm calling "hot shot"

You will still need to let the sled warm up to temp with the Gizmo installed which some people seem to forget about.

4) The engines and control systems were designed to work at lower temps...

Going into it blindly saying "it seems to work for me" and that the temp thing does not "seem" to be causing the engine to go into protection mode is not showing the whole picture.

...IMO It would be good to see some track dyno numbers running the gizmo for long times (say 5 minutes) at varying throttle positions with the sled operating above 150 degrees... and at what temps the engines seem to be pulling power or putting the sled into protective mode.

5) On the standard RMK's... Redneck is recommending disconnection the fwd tunnel heat exchanger so the bypass can be hooked into the Gizmo. The stock bulkhead cooler is plumbed so that the bypass flow REMAINS cooled during operation.

It is removed, I assume, because there would be no way to run this cooler in the bypass line with out the "cold shot" from that cooler.

In a Gizmo install into a std RMK, the coolant should be routed through this cooler in series with the other cooler.

5) On the Pro RMK's (compared to the Dragons)... the cooling system is smaller in both surface area and liquid capacity.

Diminishing the flow through the tunnel coolers by the amount of liquid that flows through the Bypass-Line is taking away from an already small cooling sytem that was flow/capacity optimized for the engine....Probably more noticeable on a turbo sled.

We have not really come into the warm season yet. But those coastal riders that I know, in this last 50 degree heat-wave have been seeing, have their bone-stock PRO's temp at 150-170+ on the hardpack trail with scratchers down. Riding next to the same length Dragons at 120-135 degrees with scratchers down.

This has to make you wonder about the cooling capacity of a PRO RMK since the cooling arrangements are identical in the two sleds with the only difference being the size of the coolers (larger on the Dragons) and the holes in the snow flap that keep the valuable snow-spray inside the tunnel and not out the holes.

outlaw525, I am not picking on you or the product you believe in. I have some concerns with the high coolant & engine temps with the questions as listed above. The theory of the sled running hotter and making more power seems unlikely and not in general good for longevity purposes. I have asked in this thread previously for the Manufacturer or Company of this product to answer or publish some dyno results with no answers except from you and the other outlaw.

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
found out some interesting news today. A buddy of mine has an 09 800 Dragon with right at 1000 miles on it.. only extra is the SLP can.. and takes goo dcare of it, all engine updates done to it! during the day he said he thought he was loosing power like it wasnt pulling right in the powder also it idled rough! and he does not have the gizmo kit on it.. So today he brought it down to the shop today to put skags on it and clean the exhaust valves, so just out of curiosity i checked the pistons looking thru the exhaust valves and whouldnt you know it.. Typical 800 pistons are scored. he let it warm up after ever stop and rode just like he always did. now mine i did a test, i checked my pistons before i added the kit...(400) miles ago... and today right after i took his all apart i looked at my pistons on my sled and they were 100% perfect!.. not even a scratch!(now that dont mean that it isnt scored on the other side but its highly unlikely) and me and him are the same type of rider, we boondock, rodd hard in ditch, and jump.. if one does it, so does the other, my sled pulled 8250 the whole day... just some more info on the kit.. my buddie is now decided he wants to try out the kit.! :) cheers boys!

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
outlaw525, I am not picking on you or the product you believe in. I have some concerns with the high coolant & engine temps with the questions as listed above. The theory of the sled running hotter and making more power seems unlikely and not in general good for longevity purposes. I have asked in this thread previously for the Manufacturer or Company of this product to answer or publish some dyno results with no answers except from you and the other outlaw.

found out some interesting news today. A buddy of mine has an 09 800 Dragon with right at 1000 miles on it.. only extra is the SLP can.. and takes goo dcare of it, all engine updates done to it! during the day he said he thought he was loosing power like it wasnt pulling right in the powder also it idled rough! and he does not have the gizmo kit on it.. So today he brought it down to the shop today to put skags on it and clean the exhaust valves, so just out of curiosity i checked the pistons looking thru the exhaust valves and whouldnt you know it.. Typical 800 pistons are scored. he let it warm up after ever stop and rode just like he always did. now mine i did a test, i checked my pistons before i added the kit...(400) miles ago... and today right after i took his all apart i looked at my pistons on my sled and they were 100% perfect!.. not even a scratch!(now that dont mean that it isnt scored on the other side but its highly unlikely) and me and him are the same type of rider, we boondock, rodd hard in ditch, and jump.. if one does it, so does the other, my sled pulled 8250 the whole day... just some more info on the kit.. my buddie is now decided he wants to try out the kit.! :) cheers boys!

M
Dec 5, 2007
Chehalis, WA
The only problem with the cooling is the lack of bypas. You don't start your car and run the shi!! out of it cold. Proper warm up is a abosolut. The only thing needed is to drill 5-6 1/8" holes in the upper disc of the thermostat. As for the gizmo, what a joke. Somebody said " there is a sucker born every minute" Any body that would pay $300 for a piece of plastic fitting should have thier head examined. JMO

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
The only problem with the cooling is the lack of bypas. You don't start your car and run the shi!! out of it cold. Proper warm up is a abosolut. The only thing needed is to drill 5-6 1/8" holes in the upper disc of the thermostat. As for the gizmo, what a joke. Somebody said " there is a sucker born every minute" Any body that would pay $300 for a piece of plastic fitting should have thier head examined. JMO

machineman: I still agree that proper warm up is necissary for all sleds no matter what brand, now after trying to get a "fix" for the 800 cfi dragon i turned to this gizmo, now im not saything this product is the answer to all of the problems that the 800 has, but it seems to work on all of the sleds we put them on. After 1 month of hard testing and ZERO burndowns im almost convinced my self. Last night at the dealer we have 4 800 Dragons burned down..3 of them were 09s and the other was a 10... none of them had this kit put on, after lastnight i installed another 4 new kits on these sleds and will be hearing feedback on them shortly. I honestly dont think this gizmo is a joke.. id much rather pay 300$ instead of a 1000$ cylindar...190$ Pistions X2..gaskets, labor, and then have it go down again in another 200 miles. Just my 2 cents. Maybe this plastic fitting is the answer to all of our problems.. more then likely not, but im always up for trying something new and figure out what works on these sleds with out getting too costly. And not meaning anything bad at all but dont bash someones product if you havent tested it or done any research on it... just saying

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
Are you putting Polaris pistons back in the sleds that you are rebuilding? Which dealership do you work at?

Yes we are putting polaris pistons and cylindars back into the sleds. mine has all polaris pistons and a cylindar and the april reflash and it runs so great! and i work at the Herreid Sporting Center in Herrreid SD

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
sled

hey guys just to update we have one sled getting a little hot with the gizmo but i think its just not blead out enough. also so far we have none burned out but so far we only have 1000 miles on them. Once we get to 2000 miles witout scored pistons i will be convinced!!!!

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
I cant believe these sleds are running @ 160*??? The mountain ECU must be programed different than the short track models. My 121" D8 ran terrible this week once it hit 140*. I saw temps 160* to 170* and had my limp mode kick in several times between 150* to 160*. Very Annoying.

Trail riding w/ air temps in the mid 30's. I know I am in a different enviroment but I am seeing the same engine temps as described by the device. FWIW

Last edited:

2007dragonman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
South dakota
sled

these are mountain sleds we are doing these to. Everyone arround here rides long tracks, but we did have one blow up today. will report it sounds like it may be the crank this sled had overheat issues before but so far everyone else we have is loving them!!!

Premium Features