• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installing a RMK rear suspension into an Assault?

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
I have a 09 155" Dragon suspension and a friend wants to install it into his 09 Assault. How much work is involved and what mods are required?

Appreciate any suggestions if anybody has tried this and how did it work?

akrevrider

M

MNIQR

Feb 28, 2006
No mods are needed. Just bolt the FTA to the front holes and drill out the back holes on the long drop bracket the assaults have(thay are already center punched in the bracket). Install done.

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
On the wife's Assault, I drilled a new hole for the FTA, .750 directly below the OEM mount hole, this came from the IQ manula my friend had, it is purportedly to help it "act" a little better in the deep?

Anyhow, I did this and laid her FT Shock forward, down one hole. I really can't wrap my mind around what I did, but the difference is night and day between our two sleds, when carving or climbing.

But, I can't say it's a 1:1 cause and effect, as I also replaced the OEM FT Shock Spring with that from a 09 Dragon Sp and also put RMK Edge, 'light weight" torsion springs, in place of the "drill rod" OEM springs. The only similarity between the two sleds skids are basic construction, and our Rear Track Schock valving, once again replaced with a stack from a Dragon SP.

So all these mods togethther have really changed the way that sled handles compared to my almost OEM sled.

I offer this as it may help your friend tune the longer skid to the geometry the Assualt was designed with, if there is a difference, between theAssault and a "regular" RMK geometry.

T
Oct 8, 2008
On the wife's Assault, I drilled a new hole for the FTA, .750 directly below the OEM mount hole, this came from the IQ manula my friend had, it is purportedly to help it "act" a little better in the deep?

Anyhow, I did this and laid her FT Shock forward, down one hole. I really can't wrap my mind around what I did, but the difference is night and day between our two sleds, when carving or climbing.

But, I can't say it's a 1:1 cause and effect, as I also replaced the OEM FT Shock Spring with that from a 09 Dragon Sp and also put RMK Edge, 'light weight" torsion springs, in place of the "drill rod" OEM springs. The only similarity between the two sleds skids are basic construction, and our Rear Track Schock valving, once again replaced with a stack from a Dragon SP.

So all these mods togethther have really changed the way that sled handles compared to my almost OEM sled.

I offer this as it may help your friend tune the longer skid to the geometry the Assualt was designed with, if there is a difference, between theAssault and a "regular" RMK geometry.

how did your wifes sled act on the trail after this mod? any increase in skipressure? I think my assault is way to heavy on the steering.

S

sw

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Just to throw another option out there, re-locate rta hole, have friend get 155 iceage rails, then he can keep his suspension-iceage will do the geometry changes on rails, drop his susp. back in, sell yours and money left over can be used at the next rides favourite watering hole!

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
from mountainhorse when i asked this question earlier..

With a good Starrett tape.

1. Center of Drive Shaft to center of front mounting hole. 9 & 1/8”

2. Top of tunnel ( Inside tunnel) to center of first hole. 5 & 7/16”

3 Distance between centers of front and back mounting holes 31 & 7/8”

4. Top of tunnel to center of rear mounting hole. 8 & 7/8”

according to this i had to drill a new hole in my rear bracket and move the front hole UP to the next spot in the factory front mounting bracket

F

fraufarm

Nov 27, 2007
North Dakota
it will suck it in unless you strap it up somehow, well mine did anyways. but it was also tipped down a bit with an older, inch longer flexible polaris snowflap.

Premium Features