• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris update

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
So that's stock? Great, just got 60 miles on my 08 with the 10 update yesterday and it seemed to run great. The dealer said Poo "recommends" using the stock pipe or they "may not" warranty the engine should I have problems again but I left it on. WTF!? If this keeps happening how can they not regardless of pipes?? I'm starting to get a bad taste of Poo in my mouth. I absolutely LOVE this sled too. What gives. Pulling my exhaust valves today!! Update later.

T
Feb 28, 2008
hey guys, not much of a motor head here but, I thought the new updated piston was to have two rings? can i just not see them or am i missing somethin?

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
Stock pipe with the slp can. There are 2 rings it's not very easy to take pics.

I hope it's only mine and they find an air leak or injector problem.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Just rode 2 days in Revelstoke with the update. Sled started up like it always has until I pulled it out of the trailer on the hill. Put half a cup of oil in the tank and let it idle for 15 minutes. Shut it off and got geared up. Went to pull the rope to head up riding and would not start. Fiddled with the kill switch and tether cord, pulled plugs and they were dripping wet. Got the blow tourch out and tried burning up the remaining fuel, but was consistently flowing. Pulled pipe off and had alot of fuel in it. Tapped on the top two injectors (possibly stuck open) with no resolve. Ended up having to disconnect the fuel filter, pulled the rope and sled would fire up and run for 30 seconds until the remaining fuel was burnt off. Then reconnect everything, pulled the rope and she fired up and ran strong until I shut it off. Then it would flood itself out again, and had to go throught this little procedure 5 times during the first day.

Day 2 - Filled sled up and run a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank. Sled fired up on it's own everytime during the day, but some starts took 8 pulls to get runnning. We had a buddies 08' Dragon (updated aswell) in the trailer for a spare sled for the weekend and has the same issues !

Anyone else having this problem ?

Last edited:

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
It's not just yours mine is starting to do the same thing, I posted my problems in the other update thread. I pulled my exhuast valves last night and looks similar with only about 25 miles on it.

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
Just rode 2 days in Revelstoke with the update. Sled started up like it always has until I pulled it out of the trailer on the hill. Put half a cup of oil in the tank and let it idle for 15 minutes. Shut it off and got geared up. Went to pull the rope to head up riding and would not start. Fiddled with the kill switch and tether cord, pulled plugs and they were dripping wet. Got the blow tourch out and tried burning up the remaining fuel, but was consistently flowing. Pulled pipe off and had alot of fuel in it. Tapped on the top two injectors (possibly stuck open) with no resolve. Ended up having to disconnect the fuel filter, pulled the rope and sled would fire up and run for 30 seconds until the remaining fuel was burnt off. Then reconnect everything, pulled the rope and she fired up and ran strong until I shut it off. Then it would flood itself out again, and had to go throught this little procedure 5 times during the first day.

Day 2 - Filled sled up and run a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank. Sled fired up on it's own everytime during the day, but some starts took 8 pulls to get runnning. We had a buddies 08' Dragon (updated aswell) in the trailer for a spare sled for the weekend and has the same issues !

Anyone else having this problem ?

Couldnt get mine started in the garage the other night. Exact same thing with the flooding, had to put the plugs on the woodstove to heat them up and dry them out. Thing about it is, mine is brand new with 0 miles. Not happy about what Im hearing here

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
No offense but did you have the key on, kill switch up? Where you getting any spark? I haven't had any issue with mine starting.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
Come on man, key on/off, kill switch on/off, that's rookie stuff right there ! Ya, diagnosing any engine trouble starts with that. Lots of spark, changed plugs, dried plugs, crank was right full of fuel along with pipe. Sled has never had any problems starting, 1st or 2nd pull and it going, but to now have 2 sleds doing the same thing is a little weird after this last update, and they had no issues at home loading and unloading at the trailer, until they seen the snow !

This issues only started after both sleds had been idling/warming up.

Last edited:

Avi8tormd

Premium Member
May 31, 2008
BOISE, IDAHO
Sorry, you never know the experience of the person. What elevation where you at? When your sled was warming up, did you spin the track, wick the throttle? While it was idling was it blubbering/sputtering?

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Mine also had some starting issues, somtimes had to pull it 4 or 5 times and several times it backfired. I did not have any of these problems last year.:(

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
No offense but did you have the key on, kill switch up? Where you getting any spark? I haven't had any issue with mine starting.

None taken. YES the key was on, Yes the killswitch was up, And YES there was lots of spark. Lots of backfiring, would attempt to start on first pull after pulling the plugs heating them up and emptying the cylinders of fuel but would flood after that

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
I don't ride a polaris anylonger, haven't since 2002 but I feel for you guys. Here we're at the start of a new season and you guys have to dick with your sleds again. Hope things turn around quickly for you all. This reminds me of my '02 Polaris, was in the shop for 8 months right after I bought it just so they could figure out what was wrong. Good thing I had 3 other sleds to ride. Good luck fella's

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
3000 - 3300 ft elevation, unloaded out of the trailer, wicked it up the trail 100 ft and back then shut it off, added oil in tank, started up 5 min. later and idled for approx. 15 min, engine temp. got to 62 deg, then shut down. 20 min. later went to fire back up to head up trail and no go !

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Not sure if I read your post right but pulled it off the trailer, wicked it up the trail and back, then shut it off?? Worst possible thing you can do. Not sure where you got that advise but that is a cold seize waiting to happen. I'm not trying to tell you what to do but as far as I'm concerned a proper warm up is key to making these motors last.
My personal method is this. I start and idle mine until I get engine temp up to 110-120F. Then I shut it off and allow it to heat soak while I gear up. I then start it again and ensure that it is back up to that range before I take off. The idea being that there are many dissimilar metals in the engine and the heat soak will allow everything to expand and settle in to it's running dimensions before you load the motor hard. This is beneficial to not only the pistons but also the crank bearings etc.
Hope this helps a bit.

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
I understand, I do the same thing, but I wasn't a full throttle wick up the trail, just some blips on the throttle and back to the trailer. The second sled that this happened to was pulled out of the trialer, turned around beside it, and sat idling there. Been riding for more than a decade in the mountains and never had so many issues with a sled. But I still love the old Dragon, 3800km and counting.

Last edited:

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Not sure if I read your post right but pulled it off the trailer, wicked it up the trail and back, then shut it off?? Worst possible thing you can do. Not sure where you got that advise but that is a cold seize waiting to happen. I'm not trying to tell you what to do but as far as I'm concerned a proper warm up is key to making these motors last.
My personal method is this. I start and idle mine until I get engine temp up to 110-120F. Then I shut it off and allow it to heat soak while I gear up. I then start it again and ensure that it is back up to that range before I take off. The idea being that there are many dissimilar metals in the engine and the heat soak will allow everything to expand and settle in to it's running dimensions before you load the motor hard. This is beneficial to not only the pistons but also the crank bearings etc.
Hope this helps a bit.

absolutley

I
Nov 26, 2007
Ya the pto looks new, the box appears to be on correct I havent pulled it to check anything yet, I'll take it to the dealer and watch them tare it down.

Pick out a new one while you're there, I think you were elligible for the lemon law 2 burn downs ago.

Premium Features