• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NEW TUNNEL CONCEPT FOR THE 2007 -2010 RMK'S w/pics... WHAT DO YOU THINK?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
MH I think thats a fine Idea! Infact I have had similar thoughts rolling around in my head for my 900. It would be a lot less labor and should be way more affordable for the average guy.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Yes!!!!

MH I think thats a fine Idea! Infact I have had similar thoughts rolling around in my head for my 900. It would be a lot less labor and should be way more affordable for the average guy.

KREG LETS DO IT, lol ;) i would be in for 2 set for sure...

MH..that doe look incrediable..very nice..i wish

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Please note: I refer to two DIFFERENT VE tunnels here...

1) This Concept, which is in the feasability stages right now... not planned for production YET... Which is the purpose of this thread.

2) A "full replacement" VE Tunnel which means that you strip the sled down to the bulkhead as outlined in the first post of this thread.

Have been considering a VE-tunnel for my IQR mountain build,....i would buy one for my IQR:)

This would be only for the RAW RMK'S... The other sleds would be better off with a full tunnel ... The RAW RMK's are unique in their fully extruded, structural tunnel roof with integrated coolers and no running board edge coolers. The IQR's dont have the roof of the tunnel going aft at length nor do they have the needed cooler length for a long track. In this case... IMO... you would be better off with a new tunnel as well... at least for this kind of concept.

Looks good and I like the idea. I think final cost would really factor into an item like this. Weigh out the labor involved both to manufacture and install and you might just be better off with a new tunnel. Just my initial thoughts.

For a complete, new, full-tunnel, with the labor involved to strip a stock sled down to the bare bulkhead....compared to this concept with only minor removals (heck... the track, drivetrain, fuel tank, stock tunnel etc stay in place) there is no comparison in the effort involved in contrast to a full tunnel replacement.

I like the layout and design for strength but like most of the tunnels with that open design it makes for some wet-butt.

Good point, if it became an issue... simple 1/8" HDPE shields could back up the cut-outs and give a great contrasting look.

Looks like a sweet idea!! If the price is say half or better then a full Boondocker tunnel I would want to know if they would build them for other brands/sleds. I think if they can hit a decent price point with them it would be a big seller!!!

The price of full VE Boondocker Tunnel is $1900 - $2350, to your door... I don't see your Price point, Half of the cost of full tunnel, being a major issue. This would of course have to be worked out by Mike and make sense in his business model.

Is there anything designed for the XP? cause I would definately consider changing the tunnel for that design. Nice work.

This would be only for the RAW Chassis RMK's from 2007 - 2009.... NO other models or brands are in the works...That being said, the XP... with its integrated tunnel/bulkhead and built in cooler might be a cantidate as well

I think I paid like $1500 or so for my boondocker tunnel three years ago, that same tunnel would probably be $2k now. If he can do this for $500 (ish) he would sell the hell out of them...... Shipping these would for sure be easier not to mention the install (like you already have). I think the bumper should bolt in as well.

Price is everyones concern these days... which is good. With full replacement BD tunnels at around $2000 plus $500 - $1000 for install... (12 - 14 hrs + for the average Joe in his garage) this becomes attractive. I think that the price on this would be "north" of $500 though.

This concept is still a major portion of the fab involved in a full BD tunnel... Much more so than a set of running boards and edges. With a good set of snow shedding running boards at around $200 these days... this is a pretty good option IMO.

A bolt on bumper/tunnel close-off/flap hanger is already part of the concept outlined in the first post.

Use a U-cooler to eliminate the runningboard and rear coolers...then we could use it right?

At that point... better to go to a full replacement tunnel. Pre RAW tunnels (includes 05/06 IQ-RMK's) are a completley different design and this would not be cost effective on those models.

modsled

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Warden,WA
I Want one of these! I would buy one in a heartbeat if Mike makes them. I'd preorder one whatever it takes to get one. I think the main reason guys don't go with aftermarket tunnels is the work it takes to do it. This kit will eliminate all the work and give you that awesome Van Amburg look!
Rett

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
i like it, ive always wanted the VE tunnel but not wanted to take my whole sled apart.

I like your design but i think it needs to be like the signature boondocker tunnel and have the arced rear like the assault

Assault2.jpg fresh small.jpg fresh small2.jpg

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Nice... I agree that the full VE boondocker replacement tunnels are sweet... Though with this application... not enough support from the factory tunnel roof/cooler extrusion which is retained for this concept.

...Too thin at the rear section. The stock cooler/tunnel roof extends down about 2" on its own which adds cross section to this area and is not super rigid compared to a full blown Boondocker.

i like it, ive always wanted the VE tunnel but not wanted to take my whole sled apart.

I like your design but i think it needs to be like the signature boondocker tunnel and have the arced rear like the assault

The Assault shown above has a "kick up" built into the tunnel... not possible with this concept, only with a full $2000 tunnel.

Are you going to plunk down some cash on a tunnel mod this year?

attachment.php

I think that this design gives a Fresh look...but still keeps the signature Boondocker "feel" to the tunnel.
This design would have more strength to the rear, using the stock tunnel roof and sides.

It also seperates the "add on" kits from the full blown tunnel kits
attachment.php

Last edited:
P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
looks good. I'm considering a D8 for my next sled, and if the kit is priced within reach, I'd be interested.

I did a similar looking mod to the tail of my M7s last fall, and it made a nice difference in the riding.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Very Sharp!!!

I'm with AKSNOWRIDER on elevating the forward brace so it follows the line of the tunnel's upper edge. The additional weight would be maybe a pound. Not significant to me.

I'm looking to buy an 09/10 poo this year. This is a mod I would do depending on cost.

What about a "core charge" type of arrangement. Swapping a stock tunnel for a VE mod?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
What about a "core charge" type of arrangement. Swapping a stock tunnel for a VE mod?

C'mon... are you serious?... did you read the entire description.??

YOUR STOCK TUNNEL DOES NOT COME OFF FOR THIS CONCEPT.

If you were pulling the entire tunnel... A full replacement tunnel/cooler is the way to go.

C

CATKILLER

Dec 6, 2007
ANCHORAGE,AK
i would buy that in a heart beat if that comes out into production.
my question is, im ordering the VE wider running board kit, once that is installed will the other parts work with the board kit?

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
C'mon... are you serious?... did you read the entire description.??

YOUR STOCK TUNNEL DOES NOT COME OFF FOR THIS CONCEPT.

If you were pulling the entire tunnel... A full replacement tunnel/cooler is the way to go.

I fail.

Got hung up on the pics and didn't read closely enough.

WingNutRacing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2000
Lolo, MT
???

Sorry if I missed it but have you came up with a "test" price???

I've been noticing that people with other sleds, even other brands, have been asking about this mod,,,,,,,,,,,,, that's huge dude,,, good job!

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
MH, the "concept" mod tunnel is an awesome idea. I like the version you drew up in paint. A full replacement tunnel is an expensive and labor intensive project to undertake. This cheaper easier version with most of the benefits will easily be appealing to a much broader spectrum of riders.

Premium Features