• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 800s TRUE HP !!!!!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
For $25 it's not a bad source of info. As Ron has stated you can't take dyno numbers as gospel, but it does serve as a good baseline comparison......And it gives us something to talk about while we wait for it to snow. :beer; :D

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
For $25 it's not a bad source of info. As Ron has stated you can't take dyno numbers as gospel, but it does serve as a good baseline comparison......And it gives us something to talk about while we wait for it to snow. :beer; :D

What I find very helpful is when for example a $100 modded head performs the same or better than a $400 billet head, and when a modded stock pipe dynoes within 1 h.p. and same torque as a STOCK pipe it helps in making a decision on what not to purchase, that's all.:cool:

Ron also stated "I'm not convinced the PC III makes any more power on a stock motor":rolleyes:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
OK lets talk, I love Dyno-Teck lots of great comparisons, if I read it right , get the up date and an SLP pipe set up and thats all the pcIII for $349.00 adds 1 hp, Ive read it printed it and circled all the rpm ranges and hp's that's what I came up with, am I wrong?
Now the piston thing,i e-mailed DT and he said thats what the measurements were, ok I surely believe him but every pistion on single ring or the new double ring that i have seen (many) have stamped the same number on top and measure the same; some with o so little wear but for sure 08's and 09's,. Question ; Where did these small pistons come from and what was stamped on them.
I'm at home so don't hold me to it but 84.684 is close to the number and was the correct measurement ( 864 is close but might not be exact)

Last edited:

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Took my updated 09 D8 163 for a test run today. Last year first 500 miles with my clutching setup I was running 8300 to 8350 rpms. After that rpms fell to 7900 to 8000 and it did not pull nearly as hard. I replaced all clutching parts (primary, seconday, belts), cleaned and maintained every part possible but still could not get it to pull 8300+... Today temp was 28, 1/4 tank of stabil(ed) gas with fresh 91 to top it off, quart of semi-synthetic oil in tank for break in. Pulled 7900 all day long, still couldn't get it above 8000. Hoping partially bad gas with rich condition played a part in it. Did 3-4 heat cycles before running it hard. All in all it ran hard for first break in but there better be more to come.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
HMMM... I heard about this thread...what a bunch of Kool-Aid drinkers.:rolleyes:..

Just the facts ma'm....

Polaris claimed 154
DTR in 2008 hit 140 ish when new (all stock)
DTR hit 140 ish with 2009 updates (all stock)
DTR hit 135 ish after 1000+ miles on a stocker (pre update dyno mule)
DTR hit a solid 150 with ALL 2010 updates done (same sled^)
DTR hit 160 with 2010 updates/SLP exhaust/stock ECM (same sled^)
DTR hit 157 with 2010 updates/fuel adder leaned out for max hp (same sled^)

IMHO- ALL will be happy with there sleds AFTER 2010 update and a SLP exhaust...this will bring you guys up to/past the other guys in the hp department!!-BJ

Last edited:

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Big John, I have the full SLP exhaust with slp light blue/pink primary, team black/white secondary (I think its a 220 finish?), with 63 g lightning weights. Why would it pull 8300 at 9000 feet for first 500 miles then drop to 7900. Changed everything out with fresh springs, belts, etc... Put 25-30 miles on the 2010 updates and its still only pulling around 8000. Am I jumping the gun here thinking its going to stay there???

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
OK lets talk, I love Dyno-Teck lots of great comparisons, if I read it right , get the up date and an SLP pipe set up and thats all the pcIII for $349.00 adds 1 hp, Ive read it printed it and circled all the rpm ranges and hp's that's what I came up with, am I wrong?
Now the piston thing,i e-mailed DT and he said thats what the measurements were, ok I surely believe him but every pistion on single ring or the new double ring that i have seen (many) have stamped the same number on top and measure the same; some with o so little wear but for sure 08's and 09's,. Question ; Where did these small pistons come from and what was stamped on them.
I'm at home so don't hold me to it but 84.684 is close to the number and was the correct measurement ( 864 is close but might not be exact)

Pretty sure that the number on the piston is the bore its suposed to run in. I measured mine and it was nearly ten thou in difference to the new 2 ring piston, and the grafal hadnt even worn off the old one (700miles). A real good indicator for me was when you colapse the ring as per installing it into the cylinder the end gap would close right up before the ring was totally closed up around the old piston, the old pistons dry fit in the cylinder so loos it reminded me of a wore out fan cooled sled needing to be bored out. If these sleds werent destined to die an early early death thew would have eventually broke skirts to to rocking in the bore.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Pretty sure that the number on the piston is the bore its suposed to run in. I measured mine and it was nearly ten thou in difference to the new 2 ring piston, and the grafal hadnt even worn off the old one (700miles). A real good indicator for me was when you colapse the ring as per installing it into the cylinder the end gap would close right up before the ring was totally closed up around the old piston, the old pistons dry fit in the cylinder so loos it reminded me of a wore out fan cooled sled needing to be bored out. If these sleds werent destined to die an early early death thew would have eventually broke skirts to to rocking in the bore.

That is the same thing Jim @ Dynotech research said, their test sled had 1000 miles on it and an un-friggin believable .016" (not a typo) piston to wall clearance, their new pistons were .010" larger, as you stated.

This begs the question, did Polaris knowingly send it out this way??;)

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
HMMM... I heard about this thread...what a bunch of Kool-Aid drinkers.:rolleyes:..

Just the facts ma'm....

Polaris claimed 154
DTR in 2008 hit 140 ish when new (all stock)
DTR hit 140 ish with 2009 updates (all stock)
DTR hit 132 ish after 1000+ miles on a stocker (pre update dyno mule)
DTR hit a solid 150 with ALL 2010 updates done (same sled^)
DTR hit 160 with 2010 updates/SLP exhaust/fuel adder (same sled^)

IMHO- ALL will be happy with there sleds AFTER 2010 update and a SLP exhaust...this will bring you guys up to/past the other guys in the hp department!!-BJ

On the bold, without fuel adder OR with PC III, head mod, and Stock pipe.

New testing coming real soon with new mods, waiting for cold temps.

Last edited:
A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
Just an SLP silencer?

Does anyone know if there was a dyno run with all the 2010 updates and just an SLP silencer? I didn't see one on the latest dynotech report.

J

jim9006

Sep 7, 2008
Cle Elum WA
home.comcast.net
Nope.. Apparently DynoTech still thinks the SLP is still available only as a complete set and only tested it that way. SLP now sells just the sliencer and if its the same as the one that comes with the complete "set", I don't know.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Nope.. Apparently DynoTech still thinks the SLP is still available only as a complete set and only tested it that way. SLP now sells just the sliencer and if its the same as the one that comes with the complete "set", I don't know.

Correct^^^^^^

However they did test the 2007 D-7 "replacement" silencer only which did result in a gain over the original 2009 800 silencer.

In addition, they are going to be testing more mods very soon just waiting on colder weather.

Last edited:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I was impressed to see what it was doing with the PCIII and the new piston with the modified 09 head! Unless I was reading it wrong it was almost 160 :eek:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I was impressed to see what it was doing with the PCIII and the new piston with the modified 09 head! Unless I was reading it wrong it was almost 160 :eek:

You're reading it correctly.:face-icon-small-hap

160 H.P. For $450.00

Now you see why I'm a proponent of the PC III (on a stock piped engine) and DYNOTECH Jim:cool:

More testing coming soon, they're waiting on colder temps.

Last edited:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
Can't get this out of my pea brain; now I'm talking US inches here not metric.
piston to cylinder clearance on a 08 as per service manual is .0037 to .0053 on the 09 it's .0047 to .006 now in mm it's .120 to .153 for both yrs, so this .16 has to be off; the thing would knock even in mm's it's out of service also the ring end gap is US .017-.025 / .42 - .65 mm Not that any of this means crap I don't know it just has been bugging the begeezers from me

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Can't get this out of my pea brain; now I'm talking US inches here not metric.
piston to cylinder clearance on a 08 as per service manual is .0037 to .0053 on the 09 it's .0047 to .006 now in mm it's .120 to .153 for both yrs, so this .16 has to be off; the thing would knock even in mm's it's out of service also the ring end gap is US .017-.025 / .42 - .65 mm Not that any of this means crap I don't know it just has been bugging the begeezers from me

I'm talking inches also, the test mule sled (Casey's) disassembled @ DYNOTECH October 12, 2009 in between dyno runs had .016" piston to wall clearance. :mad:

That is consistent with "Phat Bastard" on H.C.S. posted when he changed out the pistons on his D-8. :mad:He posted in mm, 25.4mm= 1";)

New pistons are .010" larger, net result approx .006" piston to wall.:face-icon-small-hap

Can you say, "Holy rockin in the bores Batman?":rolleyes:

M
Dec 14, 2008
95 posts and almost 10000 views

95 posts 10000 views and still no other actual stock hp numbers ,all I want is someone else's hp report . WHY wont slp give it when they know it ?? I have my opinion but will share it at a latter time!!!!!!

Premium Features