• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 800s TRUE HP !!!!!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
Question, if you lose hp as you go higher in elevation (i think .03?) then you guys out in the rockies n what not at 6000+ are losing 25+ hp right? well does elevation affect dyno resault also? cause i ride normally at 1k-2kft and are d8s rip with just slp pipes n reeds and ive never heard anyone around here complain about there d8s laggin. n i ride with 3 other 09 d8s( 2 163 n 1 155 all with 600+ miles n no problems). my question is though does elevation affect dyno resaults cause if it does then arent alot of these stories of polarises advertised hp false or misinturpeted? but even if it is a 140hp 800 its still the best dam sled there is imo.

I may be wrong but most of the dyno sheets that you see will state that they have been corrected for elevation. Or corrected to see level or something similar. Could be wrong though

W
May 14, 2008
Iron Range
Polaris advertised the 09 d8 at 156 hp, they advertised this in the on the website and the catalog. Then you read around that its maybe truly 145 and it still burning up motors. It was advertised so I can be put out by that.

I still really like my sled just feel that when you pay 10k for a toy that you get 4 mounths and around here that it a hard pill to take.

M
Dec 14, 2008
154 hp

MY opinion is that they will be 154 plus, after my conversation with a Polaris rep very recently, I asked him the difference between a fresh engine and a propperly broke in engine and he said 8 to 10 hp .He also mentioned that the 2010s would definately be stronger, and also have more torque .

S
Aug 17, 2009
Palmer, AK
MY opinion is that they will be 154 plus, after my conversation with a Polaris rep very recently, I asked him the difference between a fresh engine and a propperly broke in engine and he said 8 to 10 hp .He also mentioned that the 2010s would definately be stronger, and also have more torque .

Isnt the reps job to sell you a sled? So can you really trust them? But im sure there is truth to that and either way once your dragons broke in its a great sled.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Question, if you lose hp as you go higher in elevation (i think .03?) then you guys out in the rockies n what not at 6000+ are losing 25+ hp right? well does elevation affect dyno resault also? cause i ride normally at 1k-2kft and are d8s rip with just slp pipes n reeds and ive never heard anyone around here complain about there d8s laggin. n i ride with 3 other 09 d8s( 2 163 n 1 155 all with 600+ miles n no problems). my question is though does elevation affect dyno resaults cause if it does then arent alot of these stories of polarises advertised hp false or misinturpeted? but even if it is a 140hp 800 its still the best dam sled there is imo.

Yes, you lose hp with altitude. Here in Colorado it's not 6,000, I live at 7,400 and have to drive to get to the snow. It's typically 9,000+ so were looking at losing 40-50 HP depending on where we are riding. That's exactly why the turbo is so appealing. :D

W
Oct 29, 2001
Spokane

You expected him to say something different?

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
back in the Moto GP days when we would break the bike in on the dyno the right way we could get another 6-10hp more then somebody going out and breaking it in how your going to ride it. proper break in is key.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
Proper engine break in

back in the Moto GP days when we would break the bike in on the dyno the right way we could get another 6-10hp more then somebody going out and breaking it in how your going to ride it. proper break in is key.

Since most riders don't have access to a dyno what is your recommend process?

I usually go through a couple of warm up and cool down cycles. Then on the traill blipping the throttle to the hills. One more cool down then it is wide open from then on.

C
Oct 22, 2008
MN
Since most riders don't have access to a dyno what is your recommend process?

I usually go through a couple of warm up and cool down cycles. Then on the traill blipping the throttle to the hills. One more cool down then it is wide open from then on.

your on the right track, we did 1 heat cycle per day for 3 days at 45 min a piece and then leave for the day and come back the next day and start all over, cooling is a big part-getting all the componets to expand and contract. Vary the throttle, dont hold it pinned for long peroids of time but bring it up to full rpm a couple times. and like polaris is saying on the update-run the synthetic blend NOT the full synthetic, the blend doesnt put as much of a drag on the pistions as the full synthetic.

M
Dec 14, 2008
What do you think the 800 s will have for ponies? More or less than last year

I do agree its their job to sell sleds ,but there has to be some truth to what a rep says not ? Or was the rep not telling the truth ? I personally think the 800s are going turn alot of heads. Polaris will rule this winter

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
Clutching/gearing is the key to performance. You can have all the power in the world and not get it to the drive train. Stock clutching of Polaris sleds is good, can be better. It is generally conservative in the driven helix on the low end. I have seen two Summit X's run head to head with TRA's, a dead heat. Took one of them and put a P-85 on it with a guess on spring and weight combination. The results were impressive, the P-85'd sled was faster everywhere. I figured it would be faster in the mid and top, but it was very surprising that it got the holeshot as well. Without the big old damper on the end of the TRA though, I think that Rotax engine will disentegrate after a while!;) Horse power gain and loss are about 3% per 1000' elevation change. It is about air density. Higher elevation = less air density = less horsepower.

D
Jan 17, 2008
I do agree its their job to sell sleds ,but there has to be some truth to what a rep says not ? Or was the rep not telling the truth ? I personally think the 800s are going turn alot of heads. Polaris will rule this winter

I REALLY hope you're right. That would be OK with me...

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
My 800 was done by Carl's.

so i guess it could have been:(

I like the power and the ride of the poo a lot and think Carl's does a great job too but looking at the 800 and larger motors the R and D engineers need to get kicked in the sack.

and yes it is summer and I need snow in a bad way.

If Carl's is setting them up wrong then about every dealer in North America is setting them up wrong.

M
Dec 14, 2008
154 hp for 2010

As I had guessed , when I picked up our 800 dragons they told me the hp would be the same as last year at 154 , and that the torque numbers are better!!!!!!! SLP says they are going to be very strong!!!!!!!!

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
As I had guessed , when I picked up our 800 dragons they told me the hp would be the same as last year at 154 , and that the torque numbers are better!!!!!!! SLP says they are going to be very strong!!!!!!!!

2 very good sources told me the same thing..hp is at least what it was advertised originally and they picked up midrange torque(makes sense with how lean they were in the midrange)one source said they beat on the motor hard and it held up with flying colors(including running it right at the old lean spot steady state under a good load)

E
Jan 18, 2008
St. Paul, AB
I talked to the opperations manager at SLP for over an hour today. Hes a very nice guy and knows his stuff. First and foremost prob the most important thing he told me MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU BRING YOUR 800 IN FOR THE UPDATE THAT YOU REQUEST THAT THE TECH DO A VERY CAREFUL INSPECTION OF THE THERMOSTAT TO ENSURE THAT THE BYPASS HOLE IS NOT PLUGGED WITH A PIECE OF ALUMINUM CASTING FLASH FROM SOMEWHERE IN THE COOLING SYSTEM HE SAID 4 OF 5 SLEDS THEY HAD IN THEIR SHOP HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEM POSSIBLY CAUSING A MAG SIDE FAILURE THE REASON FOR THE MAG SIDE ONLY FAILURES IS BEACAUSE THE PTO GETS FED COOLANT FROM THE THROTTLE BODY WARMER LINES FAILURES WOULD OCCUR AT LOW LOAD IDLING OR LOW RPM RIDING WHERE THE ENGINE WAS BELOW 120

Anyhow other than that, they are testing the **** out of this latest update and he is certain that any reliability issues related to programming, compression and piston design have been taken care of in a big way. They lowered compression to 11.6:1, this will most likely allow lower elevations to run twin pipes, will allow higher boost for the turbo guys. Obviuosly the 2 ring piston transfers heat to the cylinder wall better and the re-flash is super super protective. Of course this is all good for those of us who ride at lower elevations, but the loss in compression will of course effect the high elevation guys running over say 5000. Low end power will suffer a bit but the new reflash/lower compression/piston combination has led to really good high end power. Basically it has smoothed out the power delivery, taken away alot of the engine braking effect and allowed alot more room for modificatons to have a bigger effect. They have heads to bump the compression for guys at high elevation.

Premium Features