• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

thermobob temp port leaking

C
Mar 9, 2017
Lethbridge, AB
Hey guys, I have a thermobob and a TrailTech inline temp sensor. the port in the thermobob where the temp sensor threads into leaks when the bikes running. whats the cause and fix for this? did I damage the threads in the thermobob somehow? can an o ring or teflon tape be applied to the threads of the TT temp sensor?

screen shot windows 7

Last edited:

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Thread sealant will be your best bet. Its 1/8 BSPP thread which is straight unlike 1/8 NPT. Its kind of a stupid design, I'm not sure how its supposed to seal with no crush washer or o-ring.

P
Jan 3, 2018
NH
Hey guys, I have a thermobob and a TrailTech inline temp sensor. the port in the thermobob where the temp sensor threads into leaks when the bikes running. whats the cause and fix for this? did I damage the threads in the thermobob somehow? can an o ring or teflon tape be applied to the threads of the TT temp sensor?

BSPP threads (British Standard Parallel Pipe) are meant to seal with an o-ring. When you pulled out the plug from the thermo-bob it should have had an o-ring on there. Swap that o-ring over to the trailtech sensor and tighten it snug, then 1/8-1/4 turn more; don't kill it.

If you can't find the o-ring that came with the thermobob plug you can find something that would work at the hardware store.

Check out some details on BSPP threads here and here.

Premium Features