• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel filters

U

ulost

Feb 15, 2008
Wahpeton, ND
I hate to beat a dead horse but, I am needing to change my fuel filter and am wondering what everyone is running. Has the quality of SPI gotten any better or am I better off running a factory? I typically run 50/50 100LL/91 octane. Thanks!

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
If you want best price build your own with a g2s Fram filter. There cheap. Been no issues on mine for 2 years at 10lbs 5000ft.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
If you have the IQ or Pro-Ride generations, I'd find out if the SPI filters are now compatible with AV/race gas. A few years ago, the internal hose would react to AV/race gas and shrink to the point of no fuel flow at all. If you can't find out for sure, OEM filters would be the best to go with.

If your mechanically inclined and have knowledge of making fuel injection hoses, filtration systems, you buy an aftermarket FI capable filter, some FI connections and make your own filtration system. Do a search in the Pro-Ride section for fuel filters, others have done exactly what I have described above. Oh and if you do go this route, DO NOT use and kind of clamp that requires it to tightened with a screwdriver or socket whether is says it for fuel injection or not. Oetiker clamps are the ONLY way to go - these do require the use of a special tool to clamp them though. Amazon has quite a few Oetiker hose clamp kits that come with the special tool.

Oetiker PEX clamps you get from Lowe's or Home Depot are NOT to be use in this application, they are for PEX tubing only.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Do a search I believe I read spi will work now with AV gas. Mountain horse cut some filters apart with pictures.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I know TRS altered his Pro-Ride to accept the Axys fuel sock/pick-up. That's an option as well. It's in the Pro-Ride section somewhere as well. But you will still need the Oetiker clamp tool for this.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I know TRS altered his Pro-Ride to accept the Axys fuel sock/pick-up. That's an option as well. It's in the Pro-Ride section somewhere as well. But you will still need the Oetiker clamp tool for this.

I’ve been using end nipper wire cutters for years. No need to buy the tool.

U

ulost

Feb 15, 2008
Wahpeton, ND
I have found that the older generation SPI filters were iffy, I just can't seem to find anything out on the newer ones. Do be honest, I'm too cheap to buy a factory one and to dam lazy to build one. However, building one may be the route I go. Thank you everyone!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I have new generation spi on 13 pro turbo 50 /50 gas on my second one first one went in the dumpster in November I change every two years.

Premium Features