• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 bogging

J
Feb 27, 2018
Got a call back from the dealer. We are 3 now from this dealer. He talks with a good contact at Polaris and they are aware of the problem but don’t have a solution right now. They even came here in Quebec to investigate directly on some sleds. There will be a reflash but he could not tel me when. Hope it will really solve the problem and there’s not some other issue..

B
Oct 31, 2010
I sure hope your right. Snowcheck isn't that far off and it would be nice to see some progress on this. Can't justify it with how that bottom end is.

Polaris came down to a dealer nearby to do some testing, I was told mid to late February for the new one to be available, my 850 has a bog sometimes when I pin it and plugs are dripping wet with oil, never blew one thou!

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
Polaris came down to a dealer nearby to do some testing, I was told mid to late February for the new one to be available, my 850 has a bog sometimes when I pin it and plugs are dripping wet with oil, never blew one thou!

I sure hope they do and it works. I really like the midrange and top power.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
This is not the case where my bog is happening. It is at low speed no acceleration. It almost doesn't matter because I'm not doing any critical moves at that speed, but it still annoys me every time.

I also leave black streaks in the snow as mentioned above. Another new issues is a loss of about 200 rpm. It was running amazing up until last weekend and now seems sluggish and won't find that remaining rpm it used to have (yes the belt deflection is adjusted properly).

I have the same issue and it is just a fat map fouling the plugs. I am testing hotter plugs this weekend but its not the real answer which would be a leaner map.

J
Feb 27, 2018
Yes mine was Bogging all the time. Check your primary weights for your elevation. I found by putting a stage two clutch kit in fixed the problem.

Interesting...
what stage 2 did you put in and for what application? (Trail vs mountain)
What is your elevation?

For my part I have de good weight for the good elevation ( 74g for sea level) and revs perfect at 8200-8300... I couldn’t go lighter...
Boggs all the time

But why would a 850 bog and not a 800 ? Same clutch no?

Last edited:

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
Was riding Harts Pass Wa. last 2 days with my bud both of us have the new 850. his is doing the low end throttle stab bog, an pretty bad especially dropping down into a hole wanting to throttle out up hill where engine is loaded more. OK not saying it isn't a rich low end but are we sure of that?? When we set a minute side by side an then take off mine leaves black snow under exhaust side his does not. His bogs mine never has once bogged so far, around 350 miles on each. We were thinking maybe lean bog. Some of you that are having the throttle stab bog is your exhaust trail clean or black? We are using different oils, I'm using the Race Red and he is using the standard VES.

We had dealer ck for codes, none found. Changed plugs and put it on 91 non ethanol. Ran all day to day never a bog not even once. My bud is one happy camper.

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
I was wondering if the bog is an engine protection response?

I've got a bone stock 850 (stock exhaust) with 15 hours on it and I've experienced the bog both on ethanol and non-ethanol. Usually when trying to get unstuck at low rev's but also at WOT on a climb.

I'm at sea level and I'm 99% sure I've got the 10-68 weights in the sled as the sled is way overrevving....like 8500-8600

It got me thinking that if the rev's come up too fast....so in a stuck situation and 68 weights, the ECU may think it's a drive belt failure and start retarding timing.

Reason I was thinking this is when the sled was delivered to me, the drive belt deflection was way too low in the secondary, so the sled was basically starting in second gear. When set up this way, bog was far less.

When I set the belt deflection properly combined with the light 68 weights, I noticed the rev's build really, really fast ....and the bog happened more often....

I'm going to confirm my clutch weights and adjust up to 10-74's which is what should be in my sled and then see if the bog is the same.

Was also wondering if the bog issue is more related to low elevation setups or both

OTM

Agree with this.

I live at 1500 feet, with 10-68s and less than 1 hour I definitely felt the bog. When weighted per manual specs both at 1500 and 9800 feet I had no bog. Exact same scenario for my bro at the same elevations.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
I have the same issue and it is just a fat map fouling the plugs. I am testing hotter plugs this weekend but its not the real answer which would be a leaner map.

Did you get any det with hotter plugs? BR8EYA? Improve runability or not really?

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
After reading this whole thread is seems there are two bogs.

Bog 1 is related to break in, over revving, and ethanol mode. Which I had.

Bog 2 - the black streak bog - is related to over fueling?? Which I have never experienced with 15 hours.

Funny not all 850s have this. Mines a pro 163 2.6. My bros a 155 2.6. We both initially had bog 1.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
XC
I think you got it. Sounds like there are two issues.

I'm pretty sure they shipped every RMK with 68's which is why there is a run on 72-74's. Talk about stupid. Didn't even give us the option on spring order :doh::doh:

My sea level sled came with 68's and the bog I have is the fast rev/over rev issue. I just changed to Dalton adjustable 70-77's which should be enough range for what we do. The 74's from Poo are back ordered indefinitely.

I'm curious to see if this change get's the bog under control.

That...and tightening the track, setting proper belt deflection and a bunch of other stuff..and it might actually run like a top now!

We are getting 2-3 feet as I write this so should be good testing in the next few days.

OTM

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
XC
I think you got it. Sounds like there are two issues.

I'm pretty sure they shipped every RMK with 68's which is why there is a run on 72-74's. Talk about stupid. Didn't even give us the option on spring order :doh::doh:

My sea level sled came with 68's and the bog I have is the fast rev/over rev issue. I just changed to Dalton adjustable 70-77's which should be enough range for what we do. The 74's from Poo are back ordered indefinitely.

I'm curious to see if this change get's the bog under control.

That...and tightening the track, setting proper belt deflection and a bunch of other stuff..and it might actually run like a top now!

We are getting 2-3 feet as I write this so should be good testing in the next few days.

OTM

Both my Dad's and Brothers 850 came stock with 72 gram Polaris weights. I believe the Polaris manual even states the 72's are stock? They are turning 8150 at 6000'.

Last edited:

XC500mod

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2013
That’s strange I know 5 850 owners and all came with 68’s. Some ordered at 1500 feet and some ordered at 8,300 feet.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Did you get any det with hotter plugs? BR8EYA? Improve runability or not really?

Rode all weekend with BPR6EIX iridium spark plugs.(hotter) After dealing with flack from my riding buddy that I was going to burn down due to them, I am glad to say it ran better than his 850. Yes it is still rich but when putting around it seems to foul less. Pulled the plugs half way through the day and they definitely are still very wet and not white at all. This is very preliminary so if you do try them it is at your own risk. No detonation was noticed.

Premium Features