• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 850: "Second Ride" Review

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I have one on my loadcell track dyno right now, have to say the new power plant is impressive. As stated it doesn't have the grunt of the 850 Doo but it no slouch either. Compared to a piped and clutched 800 Axys it's stronger with more track speed (8-9mph) in stock form using all OEM springs and my weights. 8100 to 8200 RPMs seems to the sweet spot. Now just waiting to get my hands on some cans to get rid of that suitcase and see who making some power with them.:face-icon-small-win

I wonder how much of the bottom end grunt is feel because Polaris has softer clutching at the beginning and better rear skid rail profile for getting up on top of the snow. The Ski-doo clutch seems to bang hard from the start and wheelie and trench.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
I wonder how much of the bottom end grunt is feel because Polaris has softer clutching at the beginning and better rear skid rail profile for getting up on top of the snow. The Ski-doo clutch seems to bang hard from the start and wheelie and trench.

This is part of it for sure. I'd say its 50% clutching/skid, 50% motor design (one is stroked more than bored, the other bored more than stroked)

Either way, both are awesome sleds. Anyone thinking one is going to outperform the other is silly.

I know I like the Axys chassis better than any chassis I've ridden. It's easier to ride in technical terrain. Hence, why I'm on that sled.

...now, where did that side panel go ;)

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Two new 850's (wife and I) anxiously waiting enough snow to ride without breaking ****. Made that mistake last year!
The narrowed front end sure makes them easy to put on edge, will make life in the mountains easier for the wife for sure (putting her on an 800 AXYS took her skills to the next level). Smoother bottom end power delivery should be a bonus for most of us.
Looking forward to putting some miles on in deep snow in the mountains!

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Seems like a lot of people are reviewing these sled in break-in and drawing some early/premature conclusions. Give it a few months for the verdict to come in. I also think that people riding at elevation are naturally not going to feel as big of a power difference.

I will express some disappointment myself, but not specific to the 850. A big draw for me was the 4 year warranty with the 850. Well, I'm getting ready to unload my 15 Pro RMK which is still under warranty. Took it into shop the other week and compression was down to 103 on each side (has 2200 miles, was 125 psi with 1800 miles). Dealer though for sure that Polaris would warranty it. Polaris would not because, in their words, there had been no "failure." Polaris also pointed out that GGB trail can was aftermarket and may void warranty. Dealer pushed back hard and got Polaris to cover parts, which I appreciate, but I'm still very disappointed with Polaris. Now, if anything happens, warranty will likely not cover it because work has been done to motor (warranty good through 12/19). I guess the lesson learned is to blow the whole motor before submitting a claim. Stupid.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Otherwise, the Polaris marketing team did a hell of a job.

JJ.. been hearing the same things...

BUT...

I also hear that the Validation sleds were much stronger.
Which leads me to believe that there will be some on the table with a PowerCommander and no other mods as I've heard no hardware differences in the two.

HMMM....

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Personally think that the 850 front end is comparable to an aftermarket setup on a 800. So in regards to that it would be cheaper. Not ready to give an opinion on the motor until after break-in mode because break-in mode on my last sled was over 2900 miles ago. My memory is good but not that good.

It's been mentioned quite a few times but comparing facts to facts, this motor is using a heavier clutch setup because it produces more power. So I would think once it's out of break-in mode and it's apples to last years apples we will notice the difference everyone is looking for.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Why you no likey?
If its anything like the ones on previous model sleds, they are just valved and sprung VERY soft. Im only 155# but an aggressive rider and found that I was blowing through the suspension SO easily. The factory piggybacks area major upgrade, but then again, aftermarket suspension tailored to the rider is hard to beat.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Love honest reviews like this. It is hard for some guys to be honest on a purchase after they had already done it and there is no going back.
That said I will bet you 200 push ups that when your hand heals up and the snow gets good and some miles pile on and you tweak the set up and maybe shocks a little the engine is going to FEEL stronger. I would bet your impression of the whole sled but especially the engine is going to get way better. Not like you are going to say its got WAY more power than an 800 axys, just better stronger faster.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
If its anything like the ones on previous model sleds, they are just valved and sprung VERY soft. Im only 155# but an aggressive rider and found that I was blowing through the suspension SO easily. The factory piggybacks area major upgrade, but then again, aftermarket suspension tailored to the rider is hard to beat.

That's been my experience on every new polaris I've ridden since the dragons as well.

I just bought some takeoff clickers from someone's 850 which is why I was asking. :face-icon-small-hap At least they have a knob to dial down the suck.

It looks like they're using those pinner, small wire coils on these. So I'll at least be sticking the 18 springs I have on them.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
That's been my experience on every new polaris I've ridden since the dragons as well.

I just bought some takeoff clickers from someone's 850 which is why I was asking. :face-icon-small-hap At least they have a knob to dial down the suck.

It looks like they're using those pinner, small wire coils on these. So I'll at least be sticking the 18 springs I have on them.

(not so) Pro Tip: Fox Pistons fit in them. Do it.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Love honest reviews like this. It is hard for some guys to be honest on a purchase after they had already done it and there is no going back.
That said I will bet you 200 push ups that when your hand heals up and the snow gets good and some miles pile on and you tweak the set up and maybe shocks a little the engine is going to FEEL stronger. I would bet your impression of the whole sled but especially the engine is going to get way better. Not like you are going to say its got WAY more power than an 800 axys, just better stronger faster.

With 4 feet of snow in places, my hand was completely forgotton about - lol.

I think a lot of what I felt was the lack of base. If you look close in that video, lots of riding was a trench down to nothing. 18" on a soft base allows the sled to work a LOT better. This is going to be the biggest takeaway on performance.

I think I'll be turbo'd by the end of this week (working for Silber has its perks).

People need to again realize, she isn't a bad sled at ALL. Its just not the same as those who went form the XM to the G4 - which is to be expected, that was a motor + chassis change!

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Its just not the same as those who went form the XM to the G4 - which is to be expected, that was a motor + chassis change!

This is a good point as well.

Side note.....I'm ready for my 850 turbo!! Leaving for Canada in a week and a half.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Why you no likey?

The monotubes just plain ride bad. I’m 165 lbs and the fts was bottoming out constantly in small moguls. Ya just get beat up in the whoops. You don’t really realize how bad they are until you have decent shocks. Could probably have made it better with some adjustments but I have Boorant floats on the way so I didnt even mess with em.

Never ridden the piggybacks.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
This thread is ridiculous!

People are already convinced that the motor isn't strong and very few have ridden it in deep snow let alone ridden it at all. Some even saying they need a turbo.

Others are saying they are ready for a shock change and once again probably don't have much time on the sled. Personally, I think the shocks are great on this sled. First time I have said that ever on a Polaris. I had the Dragon WE's that were garbage, 2011 Pro coil overs that were mush and Axys piggy backs that required a revalve or replacement by Exits or others. These new shocks work much better and I'll be leaving them on.

You guys keep judging, I'll be riding this weekend and approaching 200 miles.

Premium Features