• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

509 IGNITE active thermal Goggles??

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Wow, so got off the phone with 509. Not great customer service, says since I bought them off Ebay there is nothing 509 can do to help besides trouble shoot the problem. After a long conversation all they have to offer is that the goggles will fog unless they 100% fit the the helmet and face perfectly. And won't help in every situation depending if the fogging starts at the middle of the goggle, top or bottom. So essentially this is a marketing gimmick and since the heat wire is in the bottom I am going to assume and middle and top fogging will always continue to help. Man every company polaris touches ends up with the worst customer service in history.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Wow, so got off the phone with 509. Not great customer service, says since I bought them off Ebay there is nothing 509 can do to help besides trouble shoot the problem. After a long conversation all they have to offer is that the goggles will fog unless they 100% fit the the helmet and face perfectly. And won't help in every situation depending if the fogging starts at the middle of the goggle, top or bottom. So essentially this is a marketing gimmick and since the heat wire is in the bottom I am going to assume and middle and top fogging will always continue to help. Man every company polaris touches ends up with the worst customer service in history.

Well that sucks.

But knowing you got them Ebay just file a eBay claim (which this early in the game I would bet is a 509 dealer selling on ebay). Because eBay while goofy at times always will side with the buyer of a defective item. Just a thought.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Wow, I was at Cooke on the 4th and no fog all day. I had aboms. Had to hit the button a few times but they were flawless. Had high hopes for the 509 since they are a snowmobile company. I guess I'll stick with aboms.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just got my pair this weekend.
Have NOT yet had a chance to field test them.
But I sure hope his bad experience is the EXCEPTION and not the rule.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
8 pairs of goggles, 3 different helmets.
All goggles will eventually fog. The worst two pairs i have are 509's.
Sinister and sinisterX5, the X5 is the worst for fogging that i have ever owned.
I called 509, they said it was my helmet.
Interesting that my other goggles work fine in all my helmets.
I literally gave away the X5's i felt bad charging someone for them.
I will not buy 509 goggles again.....
Mountain Cat

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I had the chance to try out my 509 IGNITE Kingpins for a few days in cooke this week,they worked as advertised. I also have a pair of ABOMs that I have used the last 2yrs so I will make a pro and con list of each.

509 Kingpin Ignite polarized

Pros
-No fog while powered on
-Fits the 509 helmet great
-cheaper then compitition

Cons
-Battery only last 4hrs, so you will want a spare battery pack for a full day of riding.
-The battery is fairly heavy, enough that you can notice it when goggles are on.

ABOMs

Pros
-Carl Zeiss lens- clearest and highest quality lens of any goggles I have tried.
-lightweight compared to 509
-has a optical light inside the lens showing which mode the goggle are in.
- 6+ hours of continues power

Cons
-Not made specifically for snowmobiling so it doesn't seal with all helmets.
- Expensive

I will continue to use both throughout the season for a long term test. The ABOM is the higher quality goggle no doubt, but for $60 less the 509 gets the job done and is built snowmobile specific.
cd4c040005a47a3e3ca4172e4b1b0f40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D
Jan 2, 2009
Coquitlam, BC
Buddy just tried out his new pair of ignites. Worked as advertised. No fogging all day and melted snow off them as they touched. 4 hours or so battery life.

Buddy is the worst of the bunch for fogging, so I plan to get myself a pair.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Anyone want a set of these? I’ve got the Kingpin Black Ops and I’m selling at $200 + cost of shipping. They’ve been opened, but never used.

cdebodt44

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2016
I had the chance to try out my 509 IGNITE Kingpins for a few days in cooke this week,they worked as advertised. I also have a pair of ABOMs that I have used the last 2yrs so I will make a pro and con list of each.

509 Kingpin Ignite polarized

Pros
-No fog while powered on
-Fits the 509 helmet great
-cheaper then compitition

Cons
-Battery only last 4hrs, so you will want a spare battery pack for a full day of riding.
-The battery is fairly heavy, enough that you can notice it when goggles are on.

ABOMs

Pros
-Carl Zeiss lens- clearest and highest quality lens of any goggles I have tried.
-lightweight compared to 509
-has a optical light inside the lens showing which mode the goggle are in.
- 6+ hours of continues power

Cons
-Not made specifically for snowmobiling so it doesn't seal with all helmets.
- Expensive

I will continue to use both throughout the season for a long term test. The ABOM is the higher quality goggle no doubt, but for $60 less the 509 gets the job done and is built snowmobile specific.
cd4c040005a47a3e3ca4172e4b1b0f40.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review!

Does the Abom’s fit the 509 helmets pretty decently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdebodt44

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2016
Was talking to Abom today. They’re releasing a new model called the HEET in a week or so. It is a smaller frame that they have tested the fit on the 509 altitude and klim F4 helmets with good success. They recommended going with a non mirror lense for sledding as they’re more prone to getting scratches.

bhoth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2010
South Jordan, UT
Was talking to Abom today. They’re releasing a new model called the HEET in a week or so. It is a smaller frame that they have tested the fit on the 509 altitude and klim F4 helmets with good success. They recommended going with a non mirror lense for sledding as they’re more prone to getting scratches.

Hopefully they will price it the same as the 509 Ignite around $200. Their current ABOM is $250 plus.

cdebodt44

Lifetime Membership
Apr 3, 2016
Sounds like it has more features so I can’t see it lol

SDPowderRider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2010
Central SD
Anyone know where I can find a pair of the 509 Sinister Ignites in stock with the yellow lens? Not having any luck, all saying out of stock for the YEAR? WTH

Last edited:
J
Jan 16, 2016
Pasco, WA
Abom Heet vs Oakly Inferno vs 509 Ignite

Looking for input on these goggles. I purchased the Oakley Inferno as soon as they hit the market but the battery pack cable was too short and would pull out as soon as the goggles were stretched out over my helmet and so returned them without even trying them out.

Next I purchased the 509 Ignite; they do not fit as close to my face as my other goggles did (Klim), so they do not seal very good. Not sure if the foam is thinner or strap connections are different. Also only got 3.5 hours of use before battery died (100% on). They are quite a bit heavier than regular goggles, most of that is the battery. They did a decent job of not fogging.

Anyways, hoping others will jump in and share the pro's and con's of these 3 different goggles. Thanks!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Took my Ignites out for their first day of riding.

Pros.
Absolutely ZERO FOGGING regardless of Exertion.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Cons.
Did not have a good face seal and let in a LOT more wind while riding at high speed than I cared for. But ones off the trail and into the woods, they ROCKED.

Premium Features