• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailswest Trailer Bobbysky Edition Pictures

B
Nov 25, 2012
For the boot dryer I just used 4" tubing and 1/2" pipe, not sure of the thickness just grabbed it at my local metal suppliers showroom.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Does the trailer battery you installed also function as the break away battery for the electric trailer brakes?

When you are on shore power (120 v) do you keep a trickler on the main battery?

Do you have some kind of three way switch for the loading lights that also double as the back up lights? It would be nice if the switch could pick from two power sources, truck back up circuit or truck/battery power circuit. I suppose a guy could just use two 12v switches to direct the source of power.

Nice job on the build.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Break Away Battery Charger

Removed the 12 v 5 ah sealed lead acid break away battery from my snowmobile trailer to check it's charge.

Seems to have a dc to dc switch/charger in line with the truck battery connection.

How does this thing work? If I put in a marine deep cycle battery can I just retain the existing dc to dc charger?

I would then have a switch to allow running the led interior lights when the truck isn't connected.

Thanks

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Break Away vs. 12 Volt Lighting

So I purchased a yellow Motobatt SLA battery and installed an on/off toggle from the 12 volt battery in parallel with the wire from the dc-dc charger. Evidently the charger will not allow 12 volts to flow back to the black wire from the battery harness to the truck.

I'll add a battery maintainer for the 12 volt to keep battery charged for trailering and now I don't need my 120 volt shore power hooked up to have lights when truck not hooked up.

Interesting that my new Triton hybrid TC167 the break away battery does keep the black wire from the truck energized as the two Optoniocs LED lights I added come on when the truck isn't connected.

I'm using the SuperBriteLites small LED light bar as a combo back up light and loading ramp light. I used a on-on toggle switch to toggle between 12 volt inputs. I'll post an update when I've used it in the dark.

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Just bought a new to me Charmac Trisport Stealth 22' trailer. I am planning to gut it and do a very similar build. Thanks for all the detailed pictures.

M
Sep 14, 2010
iowa
When using a charger that is connected to the battery constantly make sure you use a charger that will not back feed when not connected to power. I run every thing off of 12volts lights and furnace. it don't take long to bring a battery down. The furnace will push more air when being hooked to charger. this is the Charger I run

Premium Features