• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is a good dedicated snow and ice tire for a diesel pickup?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Not necessarily a dedicated snow tire but I think I may try the Kumho Road Venture At51. At under $150 a tire for 265/75/16s it seems like a no brainer almost to try them. Great snow reviews. Anyone ran them before?

My nokians were over $250 each if i remember correctly.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Ended up with Cooper AT/Ws. Been a great tire, very happy with the traction in all types of snow, and seem decent on ice. Fairly quiet, and they drive and ride nice.

Have about 10k miles on them now and I would say they are around 70% tread, maybe a little less. Tread is lasting way better than my last set of dedicated snow tires. 90% of my driving is towing 8000lbs. They come with a 50k-60k mile treadwear warranty, dont remember which, and ran me $160 a tire for 265/75/16s. They were hard to find, but are a relatively new tire I believe. I will likely have this set warn out by spring and then be getting a new set before next winter.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i got the general grabber LT studded and am not impressed so far. they dont seem to work as well as the firestone winterforce LT's

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
When you say you had them siped, is that something the tire shop does or is there a "siping guy"in your town? I would be picky about who starts carving up my tires

Tire shop does it. I've had 3 or 4 sets of tires siped with no issues

I hated everything about the duratracs. Squishy ride, crappy traction on packed snow and ice , tread wear. 17,000 miles and 50%tread. Put on hankook dynapro atm and much better ice, compact snow traction and hwy ride.

GS6

I think the BFG KO2 are the best all around tire.
They have a nice ride, quiet ride, best snow traction of any All Terrain tire i have ever ran.

Decent mud traction also.
I run Hankooks because i bought them for $500 less than the BFG. I like BFG but so does BFG!

Just an FYI Michelin owns BFG.

GS6

I have to completely disagree

I had 275/70R18 BFG AT KOs on my 2011 F150 and have the 275/65R20 Duratracs on my 2014 Cummins.

Granted they are different trucks, but I find the traction exponentially better on the Ram.

No squishy ride at all with the 20s. Although I wouldn't mind if it was softer

I also drove a 02 F250 V10 work truck occasionally with the Dynopro ATs and didn't think much of them either.

Anyone try the Nitto Ridge Grapplers siped up? They will probably be my next tire as I want to move up to a 35x11.50R20

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
For a few years (around 2008-2013)BFG made only a few sizes with the mountain snowflake. Big difference in traction! No idea why they started doing it but it was noticeable in performance.
Their new all terrain KO2 seems better than previous model.

As far as traction from Ford to Ram, were both open diff? Or limited slip? Or e-locker? Tire width the same? Long bed- short bed? Same cab configuration?
Total Weight and weight distribution play a huge factor in traction.

GS6

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I really like my Toyo R/T.
They are a hybrid between mud and all-terrain.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Cooper m and s dedicated snow tire with studs is very good ice tire and fair for deep snow. Wear is good but if it's over 60 degrees and pulling heavy load they wear fast.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
My buddy just bought these fore his 2015 GMC HD because the old tires couldn't move the truck on a snowy driveway. The nice thing about these are is you can run them all year but he claims they stick to the road on ice and snow like nothing he has experienced before.

Rotiiva.jpg

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Winter driving insight / advice

I don't have a good answer; I'm not a fan of studs, either.

But I've found that a Most Snow tires Do Not work well on Ice.

And Most Ice tires Do Not work well on Snow. Usually not enough open space between the lugs to shed the snow and allow a fresh bite.

Also the characteristics of each vary greatly by the temperature. Ice and snow gain traction to further it gets below freezing. At or above freezing it is just slimy, due to the water layer (think Hydroplane).

Having lived in a coastal Alaskan community for most of my life (all of my driving years). I've learned to deal with whatever the current coefficient of traction is, and that can vary greatly due to the temperature. I've seen 60 degree swings in temperature in less than two hours in interior Alaska (-40F pre sunrise to 20F above as soon as the sun came up). One needs to adjust / adapt your driving habits accordingly.

My rule of thumb is; You can drive as Fast as you want, BUT you NEED to be SMOOTH! This means anticipating any changes to speed or direction 5-10 times (sometimes 20 or more if it's really bad) sooner than if on Blacktop.

I've made trips where it took so much focus to stay on the road that I literally could not distract myself long enough to grab a soda and take a drink. I've also driven where you could not stop without sliding into the ditch (the roads were solid ice and just the crown in the road was enough to put you in the ditch if you stopped, while moving and making small corrections you could stay in your lane and get where you needed to).

Ultimately it is driving for the conditions and that includes whatever your tire is doing to help or hinder you. Hope thats helpful.

Last edited:

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Does anyone have a suggestion for a tire in the 295/65/20 size? I've never ran any Toyo tires but both the M/T and the AT2 Extreme come in the size I'm after. I'm concerned the AT2 isn't aggressive enough and the MT isn't good enough for winter.

Must be E rated and either M+S (minimum) or have the snowflake (best). I can't find any indication either of these tires have the ratings I need?

I'd buy Duratracs but the next closest size is 325/60/20 and is a full inch wider. :face-icon-small-sad

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Tire recommendations are always good threads. So many different opinions.

Scott, Chris and all the guys who have run the Toyo M/T, I'm curious how loud that tire is compared to the AT3 or equivalent. I'm ready for new shoes and I'm afraid the M/T will be much louder than the AT3. The AT3's I have now are pretty loud on my truck. But I only put on about 8-9k a year on my truck. I have a sled deck but I need more deep snow traction w/o giving up ice traction. I would have them sipped (sp?).

My other fall back tire is the Duratrac.

Premium Features