• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

who rules mountain 800's?

?

• doo

Votes: 371 32.9%
  • poo

Votes: 525 46.6%
  • cat

Votes: 236 21.0%

• Total voters
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

trench

Nov 28, 2007
I have a question for you guys that are saying the Poo's will be spanking the 174 this year. Have any of you actually riden or watched this sled work in person??? If I had to guess not many of you have, I have actually watched this sled perform in person and I was skeptical at first until I watched it in person....not in a video. To my surprise the thing was amazing to watch and after talking to the rider it was his second ride on it and believe it or not his personal sled is a turbo'd Poo. For someone coming off of a Poo and getting on a Doo he made it look easy to ride, the thing obviously climbs good but it manuvered through the trees and sidehilled like he was on a 154 or a 155. So before you guys go and make a bold statement like the one above give it a chance before you say anything.

PS.
I am not saying this because I ride a Doo....I have riden all of them and I am open to anything that works.

So stop with bold statements ! Snowmobiler we know you love poo's
what's happening to you ?

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If you can ride you will be able ride any 800 mountain sled adjust the bar height, adjust suspension, check the oil, top off the fuel and rip....I really find it funny hearing guys rant about how bad there buddies new 800 mountain sled runs compared to there new 800 mountain sled....I Rode an XM last year riding a ProClimb this year next year who know I might swing my leg over a Viper MTX....Dirt bikes are the same.

As I see it there are 2 types of riders....Rider & Machine or Machine & Rider.

DPG

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
sarkazim:)the votes are bonkers

Just because they don't match your illusions of greatness, as far as the Banana sled is concerned, does not mean the numbers are wrong. People are going to vote for the sled they have unless they bought it and it bit them back, then they will vote for what they either tried and liked better or their hope of what will.

The poll will parallel Market share and twice as many are buying the PRO RMK than the other 2 combined. Thru the years Doo and Cat have traded spots for second and third but historically Polaris has held the mountain top spot by a huge margin. While proper marketing helps, if they were trying to sell a turd, no amount of money spent on advertising is going to change that (Read as Yammi and other select years, chassis, etc. that were just too ill-conceived to work).

Like MythBusters we the public R&D each one and word gets out whether it is Confirmed, Denied, or Plausible for our chosen use.

In my opinion Polaris has always been more in tune with what the people really want and cater to their demographic since the first day when Edgar broke from Cat and came to Alaska to sled sleds to the people here that really needed an alternative to raising 100's of dogs for their personal winter transportation needs.

My take on History and why I started with Polaris and they have not let me down.

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
your missing the word 'rule' the mountains.you dont rule the dragstrip with a geo metro just because thats what you like and drive.:)

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Is sidehilling a real word?

before I go any farther, notice what the cover says. Who rules mtn. 800's ? then it says Towing Tips is that funny ? I think so.. this fight could go on for a while. Now ill read the thread.

It also says sidehilling 101. I guess Who Rules Mountain 800 is open to interpretation. On page 12, it states that the best selling snowmobile in the United States is the Polaris 800 PRO RMK. That has to mean something. $.02
No horror stories with our former two 2011, or our 2013, and 2014 800 PRO RMK's. Our biggest problems were trees not jumping out of the way.:face-icon-small-con
If Apple sells ten million phones, and Samsung sells five million phones, of course you are going to hear more complaints about Apple phones. $.04:face-icon-small-ton

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
poo might be the best selling.heck a new 14 pro is $5000 cheaper than a T3 174.but i know it wouldnt spank a T3 in the mountains:)

S

Slick

Nov 26, 2007
poo might be the best selling.heck a new 14 pro is $5000 cheaper than a T3 174.but i know it wouldnt spank a T3 in the mountains:)

I think you're gonna be surprised, I believe on snow a bit set up, the t3 is gonna have some issues turning that track fast enough in a sled already at a big weight disadvantage to the Pro. in deep powder it certainly should.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
your missing the word 'rule' the mountains.you dont rule the dragstrip with a geo metro just because thats what you like and drive.:)

"Rule" is subjective at best and leaves it wide open for interpretation. IMO Polaris has Ruled both ways; They Rule it by the fact they sell more mountain sleds than the other two or even three manufacures combined. Which means they have done a better job Building a sled to fit the demands of the people that ride them.

So, as every person buys a sled to suit their needs and wants. That sled should then "Rule" for them. If you look at RMSHA, Polaris also "RULED" there.

It all depends on your defintion of "Rule"; Chute Slayer?, Altitude extremes (Sea level to 12,000 Feet in under 30 minutes)?, Side hilling for 100 plus miles without sticking the opposite ski in the snow?, Riding doughnuts in the trees on a 60 degree plus slope?, Scaling frozen waterfalls?, Technical-Trials bike style stuff?, etc.

Define your "Mountain" and your "Rule". Without defining your yard stick you are going to get feedback based on how others interpet the Question. And opinions are like azz holes ....................................................................

How you write your defintion will decide which sled Rules... for you..................pure and simple. And there will never be one right answer for everybody, because the mountain segement is too diverse. As are those of us that ride there. The mountains in Alaska are not the same as the Rockies which are different than the Cascades which are different from the BC / Revelstoke / Whistler, etc. etc.

For me, I will not even buy a stock sled because I couldn't give a sh!t about warranty and I see too many flaws in all of them. Additionally; I do not use enough stock parts to justify that expense in my builds. I buy exactly what I need and further modify it to suit my needs and fix any known or percieved flaws in design, geometry, drivetrain efficiency, material choice, etc.

It is pure intertainment, not kidney punching ya, just expaining why it is what it is. Ride your yellow Banana or your keyboard or Grandma for all I care. Just enjoy life and whatever your riding!

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I don't think it's anywhere near $5K - ?

But if so, that could buy an entire decent 2nd sled for wife/buddies/backup.

A wise man once told me...."I'll take two 5's over one 10 every time" ;)

W

waxer

Nov 2, 2012
LOl! really never needed a spare but since all the "others" say we will you just never know :face-icon-small-hap

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Neither....but one day I want one just for my girl to ride, and so I can bring friends who don't sled. a) to get them interested. b) because I like playing guide occasionally c) to have sled access for winter hiking/snowshoeing/skiing/boarding.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Which Sled Rules the Mtn. ?
Once again it depends on what you want out of a sled. Or like is stated, its open for interpatation.
If you want to go by sled sales then I guess the polaris wins.
If you want to go by reliability,then Polaris loses.
you can take every 800 Mtn. sled out there, all 4 brands and each one will be superior over another sled at a given task.

The one that can do it ALL is the Ruler of the Mtn. plane an simple!!!
Can the Polaris Pro do it all, not even close!! why do you ask, its simple a weak motor.
Have fun all!! lots of good entertainment here!!:dance:

You ask which sled can do it all!! ? The anwser would be none of them!!

Last edited:

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Which Sled Rules the Mtn. ?
Once again it depends on what you want out of a sled. Or like is stated its open for interpatation.
If you want to go by sled sales then I guess the polaris wins.
If you want to go by reliability, he Polaris loses.
you can take every 800 Mtn. sled out there, all 4 brands and each one will be superior over another sled at a given task.

The one that can do it ALL is the Ruler of the Mtn. plane an simple!!!
Can the Polaris Pro do it all, not even close!! why do you ask, its simple a weak motor.
Have fun all!! lots of good entertainment here!!:dance:

please be sure to let us know how the clutching works out for you this year that is one of the things I like most about the pro. and the thing I am most worried abut with ever going back to cat.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
If you tune and modify Poo, Cat & Doo equally all 3 will run like a raped ape on a vertigo deep powder day....The rest will be up to the chimpanzee pilot.

They are all that easy & simple to ride.

DPG

Last edited:
S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i think if everybody test rode all 3 in mountain pow the poll would look like...

doo 174 t3-100% ruler
poo-0
cat-0

Premium Features