• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best low cost mountain sled?

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
So I'll start off saying I am more or less a complete snowmobile beginner. But I want to get a sled for skiing access, and exploration. I'm from the UP of Michigan, so we do get enough snow to in my mind get some use out of a mountain style sled.

So really what I'm asking is what would be a good sled to look for for a MAX of $1200 (less is better)? There is at 2000 Mountain cat 700 for sale locally that seems like a good deal, but I know more or less nothing about them. I would rather hold out and get something worth while than jump on the first deal that comes around. But I also don't want to dump a lot of money in something that might not get all that much use..

Anyways.. I did do a search and nothing came up, so sorry if this is a dead horse.

Thanks!

A

aus091

Dec 25, 2008
Swap meet

Look through the swap meet section of this website it will give you an idea what sleds are selling for what price.
Are you mainly riding in just the UP?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Find a clean used Yamaha Mountain Max 700 and you will be good to go. They are very reliable and you can find them in good shape for the price you outlined.

pauly-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
SILVER STAR,MT
USED SLEDS

A 98 OR 99 SKI DOO 670 SUMMIT ARE A GOOD DEPENDABLE SLED.THE MOTORS ARE TOUGH AS HECK.MIGHT FIND ONE FOR AROUND 1200$.GOOD LUCK.

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
So I'll start off saying I am more or less a complete snowmobile beginner. But I want to get a sled for skiing access, and exploration. I'm from the UP of Michigan, so we do get enough snow to in my mind get some use out of a mountain style sled.

So really what I'm asking is what would be a good sled to look for for a MAX of $1200 (less is better)? There is at 2000 Mountain cat 700 for sale locally that seems like a good deal, but I know more or less nothing about them. I would rather hold out and get something worth while than jump on the first deal that comes around. But I also don't want to dump a lot of money in something that might not get all that much use..

Anyways.. I did do a search and nothing came up, so sorry if this is a dead horse.

Thanks!

You can easily justify a mountain sled in the UP in any of the lake effect areas.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Just put that $1200 on the Roulette table and hope to double it. Then you have more options!

D
Jun 17, 2009
Wyoming
it is possiable to find a good deal on a good sled. I bought my 2002 700 RMK for $500 and it has low miles, no wrecks and is a great sled all around. Just keep your eyes open and you will find a good deal on a nice sled.

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
Thanks for the advice guys!

For those who said that 1200 isn't enough, that is actually a stretch as it is. Really 900-1000 would be the top end of the budget. Yes, I know I wont get a sick super awesome sled, but I have too many other expensive hobbies for one of those now, one day though..

I'll keep my eyes open for a Yamaha.

Want to sell that RMK, I'll give you 800 for it :face-icon-small-hap

S
Sep 16, 2010
Decent machines you may find in your price range:

95-99 Summits (583 or 670)
96-2000 Powder Specials (600 or 700)
96-2000 RMKs (600, 700)

When you're looking for something this cheap, you're going to have too look over a lot of beat up, worn out crap before you find something worthwhile. Don't get picky or you'll be on snowshoes all winter!

T
Sep 10, 2009
meridian ID
the Mountain Max is a very good sled but for the money i would say that the best bet is a wedge RMK 700, 97 ish. The Max had a big improvement in 2000 but they will cost you. the RMK will just flat work and are very reliable (im not even a polaris guy:face-icon-small-sho)

UP rules!

Ironwood all the way baby! Porcupine Mtns will give you the necessary climbs to require a mtn sled- when you find a sled - watch out for the rmk's they seem to blow the bottom end at 3000 miles on the dot. We always worry

Grew up there but left 20 years ago- been riding the Sierra Mtns in Tahoe ever since!

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
you can get 2000-2003 pro x race sleds for $1500. They are good sleds and actualy do good in the mountains. Alot of room for improvments and it is cheep to rebuild them old 440's. Ride it like it is and when you get more $ you could extend the 121" track out to a 136 or 144 and then next sumer throw a 600 in it? Ohh and they are probubly the easiest sled to work on bar none.

I have some friends who have done that and they love them. Easy to ride, cheap for parts, and most people don't want them. Also, any 96-2000 cat, poo, or doo sleds are all decent. Just remember you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
S
Jan 11, 2008
Northern Alberta
Ive heard this question a lot, if you end up riding a sled 1500 + miles in a year you will end up putting hundreds or thousands of dollars into your older sled just to keep it running(blew the crank in my 03 polaris at 3500 miles cost $3000 to fix and sold the sled 1 year later for $3000) and then you are stuck with a 12 year old sled that is mostly worn out unless you get a real sweet deal on a older barely used sled. You can get a brand new 08 m1000 for $8000 at dons speed parts over 4 years thats $180 a month or $2160 a year I know that is more than you are looking to spend but if you can find a newer 600 mountain sled with low miles and spread the payments over a few years you will be money ahed in a few years of use, Plus the newer sleds are way better than the older ones and if you are new to the sport you won't be able to keep up to any one on a newer sled in the mountains. If you are not shure if you use it very much than by all means go for a old RMK, Summit or Mountain Max they are good sleds for thier time but the newer ones are better (except for 08 summit 800's dont buy one of these)

A
Sep 23, 2009
I know all sleds have their problems and cost money, but I would avoid any polaris if reliability is a concern. I owned a 99 700 RMK and that thing was a pile. They all have weak steering posts that can break if you ride hard at all. RMK twins are also known for breaking cranks, although mine never did, but it's a bomb waiting to go off. It doesn't stop there either...the water pump belt is a small pile of junk and when it breaks your sled over heats and runs out of oil scoring cylinders and pistons. Also, if you break your pull cord and use it to start from the clutch the little knot inside the recoil cover bounces up and breaks the water pump belt. I recommend other brands for reliability. However for killer pow shredding the RMK was probably the best of the time period.

J
Jan 15, 2010
I have to agree with the mountain max. those 700 triples are bullet proof. If you can do your own wrenching a MM 700 can be a very economical sled for what it is.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Ive heard this question a lot, if you end up riding a sled 1500 + miles in a year you will end up putting hundreds or thousands of dollars into your older sled just to keep it running(blew the crank in my 03 polaris at 3500 miles cost $3000 to fix and sold the sled 1 year later for $3000) and then you are stuck with a 12 year old sled that is mostly worn out unless you get a real sweet deal on a older barely used sled. You can get a brand new 08 m1000 for $8000 at dons speed parts over 4 years thats $180 a month or $2160 a year I know that is more than you are looking to spend but if you can find a newer 600 mountain sled with low miles and spread the payments over a few years you will be money ahed in a few years of use, Plus the newer sleds are way better than the older ones and if you are new to the sport you won't be able to keep up to any one on a newer sled in the mountains. If you are not shure if you use it very much than by all means go for a old RMK, Summit or Mountain Max they are good sleds for thier time but the newer ones are better (except for 08 summit 800's dont buy one of these)

Do not be scared of a $1000 sled. If the only choise we had was to spend $180 per month to own a snowmobile some of us including myself would not be snowmobilers. I cannot afford $180 per month without depriving my family of the necessities in life. I do not even spend that kind of money for our main family vehicle. If you learn how to work on these older sleds and shop around places like e-bay you can keep the older sleds going and still have all kinds of fun. I purchased a 97 Powder Special in 2003 for $650 with a blown motor. 2 pistons a cylinder and replacement of a streched chain and broken gear I had it running. Approx $400 plus my time and labor. I am still running that Powder Special. Yes I have had some repairs over the last 7 years which have averaged out to $125 per year and I have spent another $500 total in added improvements such as a longer track, clutch improvements, bar risers, carb mods and a recovered seat. The bottom line is dont let someone tell you the only way to have fun is to spend thousands of dollars for a new or newer sled.

S
Dec 8, 2009
Osceola, WI
Decent machines you may find in your price range:

95-99 Summits (583 or 670)
96-2000 Powder Specials (600 or 700)
96-2000 RMKs (600, 700)

When you're looking for something this cheap, you're going to have too look over a lot of beat up, worn out crap before you find something worthwhile. Don't get picky or you'll be on snowshoes all winter!

Last year I was looking for a sled to run up the the UP with. Found a 98' AC powder special 600efi 136" for $750. And it just had the 600 rebuild by a dealer. Went through it with a fine tooth comb and put $200 into it in bearings, belt. And she was ready to go. So for under a grand you may get lucky.

Only problem I never made it up to the UP last year. Hopefully this year!

Premium Features