• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle sticking issue?

S
Aug 21, 2016
Anybody had or has heard of the 850's having problems with throttle sticking? I was riding in BC with a couple of friends and about halfway through the day while tree riding my throttle stuck wide open. I took a second to take my hand off to make sure i wasn't grabbing it with my fingers somehow, by that time i was going way too fast and i had to bail. It slammed me into a tree and the sled missed it itself and was totally fine. I had to be air lifted out with a broken femur and the guys went and brought my sled down the next day.

To add insult to my injury after I had surgery and flew home my buddy calls me up and tells me that my sled is wrecked.. Someone at the hotel had an 850 and the throttle stuck while they were warming it up and it raced across the hotel lot and smashed right into my machine.

So am I the must unlucky person alive of is there a problem with brp's throttles?

Last edited:

8emup

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Utah
We just had a storm with super wet snow before last weekend and the snow was building up in the lever and it was sticking. This has also happened on other sleds I've had when the snow is that wet. As soon as I realized what was going on I stopped and cleaned out the throttle block. I'd say it kind of freaked me out when I lifted off the throttle and it kept going down hill in the aspen trees at a pretty good pace.

S
Aug 21, 2016
I know that has happened a few times to me where snow will get jammed up and hold the throttle open. Always hit the throttle after a rollover or a real bad stuck where snow can get in there. This time when I looked at it it was just stuck wide open and was completely free of snow. I'm thinking maybe some ice had formed on the line somewhere? My friend said that the throttle was very touchy when they went to retrieve it and he was afraid to pin it.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
You're not the first one I've heard of this. A couple years back a brand new 850 took off across a parking lot here and right into a lifted Dodge pickup. First ride on the sled for the guy too. I've had my '98 Summit X get away from me three times, all with damage, so it's not a new Doo thing. That '98 really taught me to clip in my tether at all times, but it's tough to convince yourself to jump when **** goes bad. I've carried that habit through all my newer Doos.

Last edited:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I started one of mine the other day and the flipper was frozen, slight stick. I flipped it back with my finger. Sled had been outside in the weather for a couple of weeks. We ride from house, so they haven't been thawed out since new.
Gonna call bs on the OP though, 3 posts and a good story.....

S
Aug 21, 2016
Calling BS that the throttle stuck? Im not sure what else would have happened.. or are you saying I’m making it up? Haha

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Throttle sticking is not a new issue, nor is it unique to sleds of one manufacturer. Throttle sticking is a generic term for something holding the throttle body open when you release the flipper.

It can be caused by ice build up between the cable and the flipper, not allowing the cable to retract fully. This can happen when rolling the sled over or riding in wet snow conditions. If it doesn't retract fully it goes into a limp mode when you stop it and will start but not rev up enough to engage the clutch, usually a couple of snaps on the flipper and the ice chips off, stop and restart the engine and it runs fine.

A damaged cable can also cause enough internal friction to prevent the throttle body from closing but this wouldn't be a one of situation, it should be evident even after the incident.

Venturi icing is the most likely culprit when the throttle appears to stick when riding as you describe. It happens when the temperature and humidity(snow ingestion) are just right to form ice in the throat of the throttle body or on the throttle body blades preventing the throttle blade(s) from closing when you release the flipper. Once the engine is stopped the ice melts (almost immediately) from engine heat and every thing appears normal again. We used to run methanol in the gasoline in the winter time to reduce this from happening on carbed engines but today its not as common; probably since the ethanol addition to gasoline and direct injection. I checked my 2017 850 manual and it has a small coolant line to the throttle body to reduce icing. The previous models had a quarter turn valve you could close or open for coolant flow through the throttle body.

Wear your tether to shut off the engine as soon as you bail and be aware of the stop button at all times. It can be a pain if you touch it with your chest when climbing and it shuts down so I usually have mine turned towards the top of the bar where accidentally bumping it is less likely. JMO

Matthew runge

Goldy
Premium Member
Oct 5, 2018
Minnesota
This is not a new issue at all. The easiest fix is to stop using your hand and thumb warmers and snow will stop sticking to your controls. Also when rolling over alway make sure to clear your throttle and break levers befor starting

B
Mar 16, 2020
I just purchased 2019 skidoo 850 165. Was riding up hill and throttle stuck wide open and myself and sled hit tree. It appears that the cable frayed and possibly was issue. I might also note that it has less than 60 miles and just purchased in February. I am not sure if others have had this same thing happen.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
I know someone who had it happen on a 2017, ended up with a broken femur too. Pull started to warm up in the morning and it took off across the parking lot, off a snow pile and into a wall, brutal. Lots of reasons it can happen it seems.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
keep an eye on the intake screens and don't ride with a ripped screen. sticks and needles have caused some stuck throttles

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Yep, gotta be prepared for the unexpected. Use your tether, and always ride with a finger on the brake!

Sucks for those who experienced crashes with damage or even worse, injuries.

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
I've heard of it happening on sleds that had previous damage, where a stray bit of plastic works its way into the wrong spot. I've also experienced cable icing before, where the throttle "runs on" when you let off, but never so much that it would hold it at WOT. More like when you are on the groomer holding it at a consistent rate and when you let off it doesn't snap back out. A quick hard throttle blip would correct it, but it was still pretty sketchy.

Premium Features