• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Secondary adjustment screw full out, belt not squealing

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Hi guys,

Felt like i need to adjust my belt so i backed the screw off on the secondary and it wasn't any tighter (track run test on stand).. so i did it again and again.. finally i took it completely out and the belt still wouldn't get tight enough that it would just turn the track on the stand... I took the secondary off to inspect and i see a slight gap in the sheaves, they aren't touching eachother with no belt in it..

Is this a sign of a sacked out spring?

Is it just that the belt is worn out?

Should i take it apart and change the spring? I have a brand new spare one.

Sled has 2400 miles.

Thanks,
Mike

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Are you wrenching indoors? (cold/warm?)

Usually you get no squeel until stuff, clutches, belt, is at running temperature, cold belts rarely squeel. A cold track is also harder to turn than a warmed up one. What happens if you engage the clutches and turn the track over for a while and then let go of the throttle? Will the track stop of it's own or does it continue rolling?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
At that mileage i'd just pull it apart and give it a good look, might have something going on in there for sure :face-icon-small-coo

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Yeah I would have to agree/ to take the time to gut the secondary with that many miles on her.
Flip the washer over too while your in there, they get a nasty groove cut into them over time from the deflection adjustment screw.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Are you wrenching indoors? (cold/warm?)

Usually you get no squeel until stuff, clutches, belt, is at running temperature, cold belts rarely squeel. A cold track is also harder to turn than a warmed up one. What happens if you engage the clutches and turn the track over for a while and then let go of the throttle? Will the track stop of it's own or does it continue rolling?

I did this on a warm sled with warm clutches.. track doesn't turn on it's own even with the deflection screw completely out.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Almost every secondary I take apart that has 800-1,000 miles on it will have a worn out sheave bushing and a spacer that has dug into the sheave surface. Polaris doesn't sell the bushing, you must purchase from TEAM/Venom.

I would highly recommend you call Venom and purchase new spring, a sheave bushing, new spacer, and an updated hardened set screw. If you don't have a way to replace the bushing, take it to your local transmission rebuilder.

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Almost every secondary I take apart that has 800-1,000 miles on it will have a worn out sheave bushing and a spacer that has dug into the sheave surface. Polaris doesn't sell the bushing, you must purchase from TEAM/Venom.

I would highly recommend you call Venom and purchase new spring, a sheave bushing, new spacer, and an updated hardened set screw. If you don't have a way to replace the bushing, take it to your local transmission rebuilder.

Ok thanks, i think this is beyond my comfort zone. Should i bring it to the dealer to have them rebuild the clutch and if so how much would i be looking at?

Thanks,
Mike

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
Talk to your sledding friends first, maybe one has done it, super easy to do really if you have done some :face-icon-small-coo , other than the bushing its like a 30 minute job, just need a clutch press and the parts needed :face-icon-small-hap

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
Talk to your sledding friends first, maybe one has done it, super easy to do really if you have done some :face-icon-small-coo , other than the bushing its like a 30 minute job, just need a clutch press and the parts needed :face-icon-small-hap

I have the clutch press because i've experimented with a different seconary spring in the past (black/purple). I'll try to find a video, maybe i can do it.

Thanks!

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
hardest part can be getting the 4 torx screws out, they sometimes require a hand impact driver and some heat, to remove If they are stuck bad in there I've had to machine them out btw:yuck:

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
One big question !!!!!!!!!!!

Is your SKS a 155?????

If it's a 146 I'll bet you have a belt for a 155 on there !!!
Seen people here in Michigan do it multiple times . The 146 is alot shorter than a 155 so you will get this problem.

Not the track the Center to Center of clutches !!!

Cummins88

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2015
Ottawa
One big question !!!!!!!!!!!

Is your SKS a 155?????

If it's a 146 I'll bet you have a belt for a 155 on there !!!
Seen people here in Michigan do it multiple times . The 146 is alot shorter than a 155 so you will get this problem.

Not the track the Center to Center of clutches !!!

I have a 155 and i do have the right belt... 1183 i think is the number.

Premium Features