• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is there any trick to putting the hood on my Alpha?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Can’t get the one torx scree that holds the hood on started. Hood seems to be on the sled correctly, the air box is sealed up and it seems to be seated all the way to the rear. I just can’t get that torx to start. The torx even appears to have a bit of a tapered tip to help guide it into the nut thingie that’s clipped into the plastic.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
It has to be square on the bottom. I always watch it slide into the air box. Try to reposition the screw as it has a bigger barrel on top of the treads before the shoulder of the torx head that may be holding you up.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
There’s a thin plastic piece at the top and bottom of the air box that goes inside that big rubber seal. Those are inside and the rubber seal is all the way seated in the nose. There’s not much movement left at this point to move that screw around.

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Push fairly hard on the screw and even wiggle it around a little as you push and turn. It’s got a shoulder and it gets hung up. That is if you have the hood pushed all the way in place.

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
I found with my 18, I have to tilt the head of the screw up a touch to get the threads to catch. Pushing it in horizontally it just spins and spins. I know the upright that the nut is on isn’t square to the ground like you’d think it would be

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I know it’s a pain. Taking the bumper off makes it way easier! You have to get the intake lined up just perfectly or it doesn’t go on right.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Can’t get the one torx scree that holds the hood on started. Hood seems to be on the sled correctly, the air box is sealed up and it seems to be seated all the way to the rear. I just can’t get that torx to start. The torx even appears to have a bit of a tapered tip to help guide it into the nut thingie that’s clipped into the plastic.
Its the damn U nut (metal clip/nut) that moves.
Line it up before u put the hood on.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Think that's a pain? Try putting the hood on one equipped with a Silber turbo. I'll take the stock hood issues any day of the week. Still not a great design though.

N
Oct 15, 2018
Think that's a pain? Try putting the hood on one equipped with a Silber turbo. I'll take the stock hood issues any day of the week. Still not a great design though.

With the Silber turbo installed. Just cut the top-center piece out of the lower front intake (see attached). Goes on like a stocker after that and its only a $28 part.

Attachments

• Intake.pdf
    122 KB · Views: 145
W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
With the Silber turbo installed. Just cut the top-center piece out of the lower front intake (see attached). Goes on like a stocker after that and its only a $28 part.

Great idea. Country Cat actually shows $44 so not sure I'm looking at the right part. Either way, still have to figure out how to get the intake tube hooked to the factory airbox adapter. Still no fun to do on the bench or on the hill.

Edit : Found the part on Babbits for the price you quoted.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Thanks all. My buddy helped me this morning before my first ride. Tilting it up a little and pushing really hard seemed to make the difference.
Man I’m glad I’m not the only one who had an issue lol. It seemed so easy....

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I did two alphas and it just fell together. Super easy especially compared to my old 16. Make sure your not pinching any wire harness or hose or other panel edges. I noticed there is a set of tabs on the rear of the hood that will be set in two holes in the cowel when it's pushed all the way back. The one screw idea sounds easier but these stories are asking alot out of one screw, that extra tension might make it pull through

Premium Features