• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Melting side pannels on exhaust side of new Alpha

T
Sep 29, 2008
Is anybody else having issues with panels melting on their 2019 Mountain Cat? It was 2 degrees outside, a 9 mile trail up to the riding area, and by the time I got to the top I could smell plastic melting - it was my exhaust side panel (the front clips of the panel, where it clips into the body of the snowmobile). I ran into two guys in the parking lot with same sleds, and they had panels melting as well.
This is the first time I've ridden this sled in positive temperatures. I have 320 miles on it - this is the first time I've noticed this. I can post pics after I get my sled back from its first service (and to see if they're going to warranty the panel).

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I had a similar issue, i stripped all the foam insulation and covered the inside of the panel with reflective heat tape. BTW i had some melting on one of my lower panels due to heat from the muffler and cat refused to replace it(said normal wear n tear)...I was a littled PO'ed about that

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
I had a similar issue, i stripped all the foam insulation and covered the inside of the panel with reflective heat tape. BTW i had some melting on one of my lower panels due to heat from the muffler and cat refused to replace it(said normal wear n tear)...I was a littled PO'ed about that

Must be a dealer thing, I had melting on the upper and lower panels as well as my skid plate and my dealer warrantied them all.

T
Sep 29, 2008
Hi - yes, I was running the stock can. I just found out today that they are going warranty the pannel. I'm thinking of putting a vent kit on it now.
I have a belt drive for it as well, but I'm thinking there might be too much heat on that side for the belt.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
remove the stock can and that will help a ton. it will be much further away from the panel itself and doesn't hold as much heat in it. I run a jaws can with my TKI belt drive and there is zero issues

T
Sep 29, 2008
They are the tabs at the front of the pannel not the bottom ones.
Did it make a big differance with belt drive?
Did you gain track speed and did you have to clutch it?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
They are melting here on Alphas, bottom tab as I recall, starting at the rivet. 600 and 800. I was told that Cat is warranty-ing them.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
i have can and mvm belt drive on mine, zero melting...i also put a cutlers vent on the bottom front of the belly pan, just behind the shock....don't worry about the belt drive, it gets plenty of snow dust circulating around it from the foot well....over 400 miles on mine and the same on riding buddies, no problems with either....:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features