• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

03 mountain cat fuel pump??

W
Sep 8, 2015
I have a 2003 mountain cat 800 that i am trying to get running. I am wondering about the fuel pump. I removed the fuel line from the tank to the fuel rail to see if fuel squirts out of the hose when i pull it over and it does not. is it supposed too? how do i know if the fuel pump is bad? im stuck.

also the key and ignition were removed by a previous owner so i don"t even know how the pump would get the signal to activate other than being pulled over

Last edited:

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
you can use a 9 V battery to test it with the black and red wires.
it is a Walbors pump so you can get it off the net for way cheaper than the dealer!

W
Sep 8, 2015
alright, couldn't i just used a smaller 12 volt battery? lets say hypothetically the fuel pump is working as it should... where does it get the power to turn on when being pulled over since these things don't have batteries.

I am trying to understand this before i just off and order a pump. I have owned a few EFI arctic cats in the past but they always were in running order when i bought and sold them.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
The fuel pump gets it from the stator the stator is designed with ECU to give it default power till it starts

W
Sep 8, 2015
Well I'm 90% sure the fuel pump is bad, hooked a battery up to it and nothing, which is odd because the previous owner said he put a new pump in aswell which leads me to believe it's getting abnormal volt supply and burning them out or something. I put a volt meter on it and it was getting 20 or more volts from the harness which doesn't really seem right, also there was coolant sitting on the pistons...

Premium Features